Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
After a nice weekend, the ugly head of humidity and summer return

Avdave

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High of 84 today.  Felt awful compared to recent weather, but was still only average.  Our forecast for the rest of the week has turned several degrees cooler the latest update - a welcomed sight.  Hopefully, the clouds don't disappoint.  With every day we dodge upper 80s and 90s, our odds of not seeing them again this year (until winter at least) grow increasingly stronger.

This school year I count 32 days. That is holidays and teacher work days.

32 days - that is nuts!  

Off topic, but... No wonder kids these days have to go back to school in mid-August.  My wife mentioned to me the other day that research had just been done on the effects to the economy of kids going to school early.  The result, which we've all know for years (thanks to common sense) is that the economy takes a huge hit because the summer travel and vacationing season is two or three weeks less than it used to be.  People generally don't travel or take vacations during the school year when weather isn't good.  There's talk now of trying to push back the return date to after Labor Day.  I think that has no chance of happening, but who knows.

High of 84 today.  Felt awful compared to recent weather, but was still only average.  Our forecast for the rest of the week has turned several degrees cooler the latest update - a welcomed sight.  Hopefully, the clouds don't disappoint.  With every day we dodge upper 80s and 90s, our odds of not seeing them again this year (until winter at least) grow increasingly stronger.

The cold/dry, wet/mild, snow-less days of mid-atlantic winter will be here soon enough.  So 84 degrees in mid-August isn't too bad.  And later in the week does look great.  Hope that carries into the weekend.

32 days - that is nuts!  

Off topic, but... No wonder kids these days have to go back to school in mid-August.  My wife mentioned to me the other day that research had just been done on the effects to the economy of kids going to school early.  The result, which we've all know for years (thanks to common sense) is that the economy takes a huge hit because the summer travel and vacationing season is two or three weeks less than it used to be.  People generally don't travel or take vacations during the school year when weather isn't good.  There's talk now of trying to push back the return date to after Labor Day.  I think that has no chance of happening, but who knows.

Yep OT to reply:

Yea I saw that article. I don't agree with it at all. Puts money before education in my opinion. With the current amount of teacher workdays that are required if we get an after labor day start the kids will be in well past June. You do have to remember that there are two larger breaks in the schedule in Dec and then for spring break. But yea I do not like the amount of others out either. They have to get in 180 days.

Personally from what I have seen with this early start this year is the kids seem to be easing back in better. My oldest daughter (4th) started getting homework on Monday and it did not phase her. But then again I have weird kids who actually like school and wanted to go back earlier. Like I said my husband and myself are proponents of year round school. Not in adding days but taking the 180 required and stretching it over the entire year. Giving the kids a 2 week fall break, 3 week winter break, 2 week spring break and a 5/6 week summer break. I would love to be able to travel to Europe in the fall out of high season but we will not pull the girls out. Other states are already doing this and it is working and parents like it. By doing this families are able to go drop their money into resort areas throughout the year which makes better sense from an economic standpoint.

Back to weather, very soupy out there today. Walked the girls to school thinking it was pleasant and returned home with sweat rolling down my back.

Archived