Newest Member
    Monty
After a nice weekend, the ugly head of humidity and summer return

Avdave

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the posters above..........

We started school today.  Next year we are going to start on Aug 11.  I love it.  August is an awful month.  I'd just as soon be working.  May and June are wonderful.  If you are going to be out of school, late May and early June is the perfect time to start.  It has advantages for kids too.  Those that can start work early have a leg up on the competition for summer jobs (some), and it also helps students in AP classes because those tests are given nationally in early May.  It gives them more time in the class before they have to take them.

We started school today.  Next year we are going to start on Aug 11.  I love it.  August is an awful month.  I'd just as soon be working.  May and June are wonderful.  If you are going to be out of school, late May and early June is the perfect time to start.  It has advantages for kids too.  Those that can start work early have a leg up on the competition for summer jobs (some), and it also helps students in AP classes because those tests are given nationally in early May.  It gives them more time in the class before they have to take them.

Do all of the schools out there have A/C?

Yes.  And that is a factor that has to be considered.

Funny, when I was in school, we started around Aug 15 every year, there was no a/c, and we weren't allowed to wear shorts.  I'd die now.

They are in the process of putting in a geo-thermal heating/cooling system in the high school here. That will finally put AC in the HS. I'm with you, we managed just fine (well it was right warm as I remember) 'back in the day' lol.

EDIT-

What is up with the temp up at the airport? 10?!?!?!? hahahahahaha I could only wish!

Yes.  And that is a factor that has to be considered.

Funny, when I was in school, we started around Aug 15 every year, there was no a/c, and we weren't allowed to wear shorts.  I'd die now.

Catholic school in South Jersey.  No AC.  Pants, button-down, and a tie.  When it got really hot, they might let us take our ties off.

90 degrees appears harder to reach than I originally thought... shortwave is gonna be pulling up a fair amount of clouds and showers ahead of the main front. I still think DCA could get upper 80s tomorrow and Thursday with a small chance at a 90 in there, but there may just be too much cloud cover. High pressure will make for some cooler nights this weekend :)

90 degrees appears harder to reach than I originally thought... shortwave is gonna be pulling up a fair amount of clouds and showers ahead of the main front. I still think DCA could get upper 80s tomorrow and Thursday with a small chance at a 90 in there, but there may just be too much cloud cover. High pressure will make for some cooler nights this weekend :)

Thursday our last pathertic shot at any storms this summer? 

Thank goodness.  I hope that we have seen the last of that miserable temperature mark for this year.

Not to bring politics to the board, but I see that Peter Franchot is trying to get the start of the school year pushed back to post-Labor Day due to loss of tourism revenue. I'm so glad I'm not a little one now because it seems like the school year is starting far too early. A colleague of mine that works at an office in Indiana had to send her kid back on August 1st.

Back to weather.....while it was cool today, it seemed a bit muggy, so I left the A/C on during the second half of the day. I'm really not looking forward to the return to summer heat later this week.

Back in Jersey when I grew up we always started the day or two after Labor Day.

Still only managed .01 in the bucket today. A/C has been on since I dont know when

I grew up in OH and we always went back before Labor day. I actually am happy that they went back this early. The end of last year they did not get out till June 18th. With all the work days and holidays they get off if they start after Labor day they would not get out till the first week of July.

But then again my husband and I am proponents of year round with many short breaks through out. :)

Updated Aug stats for Winchester:

-4.7 for highs

-3.3 for lows

2 days with above normal highs, 1 day at normal, and 16 days below.

About as good as you could possibly hope for.  Hopefully, the second-half doesn't put too much of a dent in our negative departures.

Doesn't matter.  Gets harder and harder each passing day to get miserable hot.  It's been a great summer.

Based on the latest forecasts I'd say that summer is more or less here tomorrow through at least the end of the month. Looks like we could/should be able to tack on a couple more 90+ highs this week.

Out my way, our last 90+ degree day was way back on July 20.  I'm highly doubtful that it gets warm enough here for any additional 90+ degree days this year.  It's been a remarkably cool and wet summer here.  45 miles makes for a big difference sometimes, when compared to DC.

I feel the exact same way as you do. The weather is so much better in May/June for kids to have off. By starting one week earlier this year we get out one week earlier. Our last day this school year is June 11th (minus any unused snow days of which there are 5). Way better than the June 18th end date this previous year.

I feel the exact same way as you do. The weather is so much better in May/June for kids to have off. By starting one week earlier this year we get out one week earlier. Our last day this school year is June 11th (minus any unused snow days of which there are 5). Way better than the June 18th end date this previous year.

That's a long time to be in school.  How many days off do they get during the school year?

Archived