• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
After a nice weekend, the ugly head of humidity and summer return

Avdave

Has anyone heard from Subtropics since yesterday?  With this cold wave, I'm worried that he's succumbed to hypothermia.  Let this be a reminder to everyone to check on your neighbors.  With temperatures this extreme, if the heat goes off even for a second, it could be fatal.

We actually lost power last night from around 2am until 5am. The house was downright frigid. The national guard had to come through. 

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like this? Rt 66 was pretty wild in spots to get access to snowshoes entrance

attachicon.gifDSC_0082.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0083.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0084.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0086.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0089.JPG

Yep, that looks about right. Actually I told son on way home I wasn't sure how to drive on the roads without them being white up there, THAT felt strange! Son took an awesome pic of a sun dog just as we got to the Lewisburg airport yesterday evening.

Oh, and saw maybe 5-10 maples turning in the deeper hollers higher up too.

Yep, that looks about right. Actually I told son on way home I wasn't sure how to drive on the roads without them being white up there, THAT felt strange! Son took an awesome pic of a sun dog just as we got to the Lewisburg airport yesterday evening.

Oh, and saw maybe 5-10 maples turning in the deeper hollers higher up too.

LOL. Love that area but driving in the winter can be challenging. I really dont like US 219 from Lewisburg up to Marlinton, up and down all those damn mountains, gets tiring after a while :) But still gorgeous.

Yeah I got a pic of a sun dog here the other day too, was pretty cool to see.

Glad you mentioned that about some of the trees in higher elevations. good to know. I saw one weed maple or whatever you want to call it on Fairfax co pwky in Reston area this afternoon that was totally red unless my eyes were playing tricks on me. Very very random.

surprisingly cool tonight. we may challenge the upper 40s again.

Almost got there here. 50.0 was my low. Amazingly nice couple weather days forAugust.

It drys so fast here in the subdivision grass is browning in areas. This was a pasture field so I think Richmond America sold the top soil? leaving red clay which they then rolled sod over. Except for heavy lawn serviced lawns most are like mine a mix of struggling grass and weeds..lol.

75 days or less until first frost in the burbs. Can't come soon enough.

No, it can wait.  Late August into mid October has some of the best weather of the year here - why would you want to rush right into a winter that you know will be cold and windy, but that won't feature any real snow around here?  What's the point of that?  And that's when various illnesses start going around (flu, stomach bugs, etc).  I just don't get the desire to skip the nicest part of the year, weather-wise.  It makes no sense.

LOL. Love that area but driving in the winter can be challenging. I really dont like US 219 from Lewisburg up to Marlinton, up and down all those damn mountains, gets tiring after a while :) But still gorgeous.

Yeah I got a pic of a sun dog here the other day too, was pretty cool to see.

Glad you mentioned that about some of the trees in higher elevations. good to know. I saw one weed maple or whatever you want to call it on Fairfax co pwky in Reston area this afternoon that was totally red unless my eyes were playing tricks on me. Very very random.

Yeah, I really hate traveling 219, but son wanted to do something in Lewisburg before we headed home. I always prefer to go up 92 to 39 to Marlinton, or keep up 92 to 66 and across at Cass. That is a much better road as far as curves, and not as heavily traveled either.

Didn't get into 40's here last night, the clouds held temp. up I believe.

Archived