Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Christmas/Post Christmas Threat

Nikolai

(fixed your spelling for 'ya...)

I'm confident that it'll snow. I'm not so confident that it'll be more than an inch, though (especially not up where you are). I'm more than 50% confident that this system is going to be too far south and east..then east and north, to have a huge impact on NVA and MD west of Balt...I think the 0Z EC has little more than a "snowball's chance in Hell" of verifying. I think the 6Z GFS is our best shot scenario...but, unfortunately, I think it's probably a bit too far north.

I'm a pessimist, however, at least as far as things that I can't control. I'm an optimist when it comes to things I'm responsible for...but I've yet to find a way to manage the weather.

To answer your question, I think the "writing will be on the wall" as they say by 12Z Thursday, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were as early as 0Z tonight that certainty starts to build.

So Ender what do you think is the best case scenario for Baltimore with this storm?. Thanks for all your info in this thread it is very interesting.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang Ender...did you just play the inch card? :lol:

Well keep it all in perspective, here are HPC's thoughts in a nutshell:

...CHRISTMAS WEEKEND NOREASTER STILL ON TRACK...

Those guys are far more experienced, talented, and intelligent than I am and this is clearly a situation where "argument from authority" is valid.

The track on the Euro and GGEM is pretty classic. If that verifies we won't get shut out. We might just miss on the blizzard.

Not to mention we'd get to record our second Miller-A in a >1C Nina (ever). Notwithstanding the prior one looks like it actually took place before 3.4 actually went above >1C.

You're right, though, our best medium range deterministic model love this storm. It's loved a few others recently as well, and it's exhibited less than spectacular results along the east coast between 120hr and 168hr as of late. Even once at just 72hr out. Plus it'd appear that the OP model doesn't enjoy its children's support post 120hr.

Well keep it all in perspective, here are HPC's thoughts in a nutshell:

...CHRISTMAS WEEKEND NOREASTER STILL ON TRACK...

Those guys are far more experienced, talented, and intelligent than I am and this is clearly a situation where "argument from authority" is valid.

Im just messin dude....certainly looking at the 6z gfs run this morning and it showing snow here but none up North was amusing. Seems to me there are a few red flags still out there for people to at least take a breath but as we know that won't happen. So on your inch call would that be more to the east and less to the west or just a general inch? :P

The expanse of the snow field may be wider than that worst case scenario. This places I-95 in the banding... especially if this bombs out. I'm not completely sold on digging into the Gulf, but if it does, then we get negative tilt and stalling for sure = lights out!

I play the middle road- which appears to put the 101 year old XMas snow record for Baltimore in jeopardy.

SREFs and NAM seem to be indicating that the GFS is wrong. Essentially they show much more energy associated with the southern shortwave and a slower evolution than the GFS. Based on the record shattering rains in the southwest, I'd have to lean to a much more powerful shortwave than what the GFS is displaying. So I would take a 00Z GGEM EURO compromise at this point, which would be pretty good for the mid-atlantic, IMHO.

The expanse of the snow field may be wider than that worst case scenario. This places I-95 in the banding... especially if this bombs out. I'm not completely sold on digging into the Gulf, but if it does, then we get negative tilt and stalling for sure = lights out!

I play the middle road- which appears to put the 101 year old XMas snow record for Baltimore in jeopardy.

*Also- don't ignore the cold air with this storm. The GFS-MOS is not doing it justice. I see XMas day struggle to stay near 30, and higher snow ratios... highs in the 20s behind the storm for Mid Atlantic

Ender, at this time last week, the GFS had given us a HECS for this past weekend with 8 of the members agreeing with it. What the GFS shows now probably isnt reflective of what will happen this weekend

although past performance of a model in a particular winter can, imho, be an indicator of future performance unlike stock funds, none of the models has really stepped ahead of any of the others so far this year

maybe we'll have some direction on this matter after this event

Ender, at this time last week, the GFS had given us a HECS for this past weekend with 8 of the members agreeing with it. What the GFS shows now probably isnt reflective of what will happen this weekend

I did mention that I think the GFS is too far north.

As for the ECOP, vs EMEM, vs GEFS, vs UKMET, it's all about that ridge out west and timing/speed. If the ECOP's slower solution is correct then, sure, the much more intense, western track makes sense.

SREFs and NAM seem to be indicating that the GFS is wrong. Essentially they show much more energy associated with the southern shortwave and a slower evolution than the GFS. Based on the record shattering rains in the southwest, I'd have to lean to a much more powerful shortwave than what the GFS is displaying. So I would take a 00Z GGEM EURO compromise at this point, which would be pretty good for the mid-atlantic, IMHO.

The 6Z NAM, at 84hr (UGH!), does have a slower, and somewhat further south, and definitely stronger shortwave than does the GFS at the same time. It does not, however, have the the closed sub 560 H5 mega-vort that the EC has at over 360mi SW. Another way of looking at that is, the NAM's vort is tracking 225mi north of the ECs and it's almost 300mi "faster".

The 6Z NAM, at 84hr (UGH!), does have a slower, and somewhat further south, and definitely stronger shortwave than does the GFS at the same time. It does not, however, have the the closed sub 560 H5 mega-vort that the EC has at over 360mi SW. Another way of looking at that is, the NAM's vort is tracking 225mi north of the ECs and it's almost 300mi "faster".

Well....our area will probably do best if we get good overrunning...if no overrunning then we up chits creek

Well I'm pretty sure the closed bowling ball on the Euro is probably an extreme in the other direction. But I could see how the Euro is too far south and GFS too far north, and there's a compromise in teh middle more like the CMC or some other middle ground solution, but I'm leaning toward the south with this storm as that huge storm over north atlantic is going to make it much more difficult for this thing to be as far north as the GFS.

Leesburg is killing us right now...even the best solution has us fringed.

Patience grasshopper....you just moved here. You already felt the fringe force once with that clipper last week....

anyway who knows...I'm bouncing back and forth between being ok with 3-6" while others get a foot plus vs. wanting the whole thing to all of the sudden say ooops....nevermind and screw everyone. I'll let you know where I stand after 12z.

Patience grasshopper....you just moved here. You already felt the fringe force once with that clipper last week....

anyway who knows...I'm bouncing back and forth between being ok with 3-6" while others get a foot plus vs. wanting the whole thing to all of the sudden say ooops....nevermind and screw everyone. I'll let you know where I stand after 12z.

im okay with 3-6 as long as i shut my computer off when the storm is over and not look at other people getting 12-27

Watching the 12Z WRF come in through 60HR. It starts with a deeper CA shortwave, then loses moisture east of Denver. Before this and the GFS completes the morning package...remember that it was the 12Z yesterday that was the only run to diminish the storm. I suspect that there is some missing data from the 12Z soundings out west. Any thoughts???

Through 72 Hrs... the SW shortwave looks stronger, slower, and deeper.

HMMMMMM

I can only imagine what the GFS might show for XMas- but I 'don't' think it's going to push this off the coast like Mon 12Z run did.

Watching the 12Z WRF come in through 60HR. It starts with a deeper CA shortwave, then loses moisture east of Denver. Before this and the GFS completes the morning package...remember that it was the 12Z yesterday that was the only run to diminish the storm. I suspect that there is some missing data from the 12Z soundings out west. Any thoughts???

It's nothing like the 6Z. It's going to end-up very much like the 0Z EC...but even slower. About 6hr slower, and perhaps 75mi or so further north.

Archived