• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Christmas/Post Christmas Threat

Nikolai

87 SREFs have a pretty impressive banana High in place. Typically, that means a more southern solution. I could honestly see this becoming a miller a from gulf of mexico through florida panhandle and bombing up the coast near the SC/NC boarder. It will be interesting to watch this evolve, but the GGEM is hinting at a trend toward that idea.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just hate how we just accept 3-5 and say great storm. We have shown that this area is capable of major snowstorms. We arent Richmond or Raleigh. We can get legit storms

No Ji, because the snowstorm of 1920 that dumped nearly 22" on RIC was not a legit storm. Neither was January 1922 with 19". Or how about 1983 with 18"? Probably not legit either.

No Ji, because the snowstorm of 1920 that dumped nearly 22" on RIC was not a legit storm. Neither was January 1922 with 19". Or how about 1983 with 18"? Probably not legit either.

lol.......he's even worse than the New England guys when it comes to being cocky.

And to further prove your point, Raleigh got 21" on 1/25/2000.

Euro is a nice 6 -10?

So I hear, but sounds like it cuts of very quickly as you go west and NW. Might be just a 4-6 here in Frederick. Just doesn't seem fathomable to have a storm with a 985 low just south of OC and not get a more significant event, but it is what it is. I'll take my snow and be mostly happy.

All I can say is that's an HECS storm track for everybody from the south to northeast. That strong High diving toward Texas is reminiscent of 1996. Same time of year and also a nina year. I'd throw the QPF in the trash at this point and compare storm totals for past storms that have taken such a track and intensity. Now I'm just hoping we can verify something even close to what the Euro is showing. Ukie shows how a little jog east could keep everybody high and dry. Funny how this transformed from miller b to a solid miller A this evening. We probably have a lot of shifts to come yet.

One more day until I start getting interested in the actual track, though it hasn't shifted much in the past few days. Nice to see that consistency. Not sure why the QPF keeps getting mentioned after every run...

Anyone got anything in the "The Euro is a full 18 hours later than the GFS" department? That is probably the bigger issue, especially considering it's either on or just after Christmas, which could make or break travel for millions of people (including myself!).

Gettin pretty stoked on this one. I could care less what the models show for QPF at this stage. Low track is looking really good right now. I'd much rather be worried about how much snow instead of will it snow at all and if it does, will it be snow. The Euro's shift toward a Miller A is really encouraging. The MA loves a Miller A! Temps at the surface and aloft aren't an issue + the dryslot odds decrease.

What % of the board will be staring at radar loops all night on the 24th? Can't wait to see the QPF maps on the 23rd. High impact event for the entire EC looking more promising every day.

Merry Eclipse-mas to all!

I went with a 75% chance of Christmas Snow on TV this morning. For all of you who bailed on yesterday's 12Z.... note that you need at least two runs in a row before jumping ship on something that has had such persistence this far away. The moisture- too early. You will also see that waver, and QPF outputs for Sat seen now can not fully account for what will be available with the storm. Just focus on the New England system creating the block in the first place. Christmas day will either have a stalled or crawling system up the east coast.

Headlines_2010_Dec21.JPG

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK.!thumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gif

Merry Eclipse-mas to all!

I went with a 75% chance of Christmas Snow on TV this morning. For all of you who bailed on yesterday's 12Z.... note that you need at least two runs in a row before jumping ship on something that has had such persistence this far away. The moisture- too early. You will also see that waver, and QPF outputs for Sat seen now can not fully account for what will be available with the storm. Just focus on the New England system creating the block in the first place. Christmas day will either have a stalled or crawling system up the east coast.

Headlines_2010_Dec21.JPG

Just for the sake of argument....

Our "second best" medium range model shows this for 120hr:

00zukmet500mbHGHTNA120.gif

We've seen that ridge axis orientation in the west before, and we should all know where that mid GOM low heads next...

Then we have the EC and the ECEM:

00zeuro500mbHGHTNA120.gif

00zecmwfens500mbHGHTNA120.gif

That's really not all that bad...Really the ECEM is just about 8 to maybe 12hr faster than the ECOP at 120HR. By that I mean 12hr later the ECOP passes right over the ECEM's SC low. So, cool, it's just a bit slower (or faster). No big deal, but....then we have this "consistency" to look forward to:

00zeuro500mbHGHTNA144.gif

00zecmwfens500mbHGHTNA144.gif

Sure, it's an ensemble and that's naturally going to dampen out any extremes...but this is the same, beloved EC that's attempted to bomb out three weekend storms this season, all right in the same relative spot. On each occasion the explosive cyclogenesis ended up being further out to sea, over Gulf stream rather than on the western edge of same, and a bit further north than the ECOP originally thought.

...and, if anyone cares, same problem with the GFS and GEFS:

00zgfs500mbHGHTNA120.gif

00zgfsensemble500mbHGHTNA120.gif

...and the argument that, "there's just a lot of spread...don't trust the mean...". Well, here are the members, and only a couple like the "Winter Wonderland" scenario.

f120.gif

At what point in time is it safe to be really confidant it will snow and start and predicting amounts? Is it Wed night? Is it Thursday? Is it Friday?

(fixed your spelling for 'ya...)

I'm confident that it'll snow. I'm not so confident that it'll be more than an inch, though (especially not up where you are). I'm more than 50% confident that this system is going to be too far south and east..then east and north, to have a huge impact on NVA and MD west of Balt...I think the 0Z EC has little more than a "snowball's chance in Hell" of verifying. I think the 6Z GFS is our best shot scenario...but, unfortunately, I think it's probably a bit too far north.

I'm a pessimist, however, at least as far as things that I can't control. I'm an optimist when it comes to things I'm responsible for...but I've yet to find a way to manage the weather.

To answer your question, I think the "writing will be on the wall" as they say by 12Z Thursday, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were as early as 0Z tonight that certainty starts to build.

Archived