• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June 21-27 Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

I have no idea how reliable these personal stations are, well I probably do...but 70 MPH gust in Grant Park (the town, not the park).

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KILGRANT4

That station is a Vantage Vue which in my experience is pretty good at measuring high winds, give it +/- 5%. It's in an area with open farmland too, so I'd say it's near accurate.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VERY impressive storm blew through where I work just east of the QC.  We evacuated the lab for the first time since I've been there (9yrs).  Was actually the first time I've been worried about a storm hitting where I was in a long time.  Looked like a hurricane out there for a short while.  Lots of tree damage around the area.  QC has over 30000 homes without power currently.

VERY impressive storm blew through where I work just east of the QC.  We evacuated the lab for the first time since I've been there (9yrs).  Was actually the first time I've been worried about a storm hitting where I was in a long time.  Looked like a hurricane out there for a short while.  Lots of tree damage around the area.  QC has over 30000 homes without power currently.

Damn.

There were multiple mesovortices within the line at that time, I'm guessing some areas saw significantly enhanced velocities.

Wow sounds intense man!  Tomorrow looks like it may be fun for some of us too, with potential for some heavy rains tomorrow night.

Damn.

There were multiple mesovortices within the line at that time, I'm guessing some areas saw significantly enhanced velocities.

Yeah there's many areas where the damage is actually quite light.  Just small branches and leaves down.  Then you come across areas where many of the trees have lost at least one or two big limbs up top.  Several uprooted trees around the area as well.  There's no doubt in my mind some areas were probably hit with 80mph winds.  Looks like here at the house the winds stayed in the 40-50mph range.  Really not much damage around this neighborhood.

* AT 658 PM CDT...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE

EXTENDING FROM 6 MILES WEST OF NEW CARLISLE TO HAMLET TO 5 MILES

SOUTHEAST OF NORTH JUDSON...AND MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.

THESE ARE VERY DANGEROUS STORMS.

HAZARD...QUARTER SIZE HAIL AND 80 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED 70 TO 80 MPH WINDS AND

EXTENSIVE DAMAGE ACROSS PORTER COUNTY INDIANA.

IMPACT...MOBILE HOMES WILL BE HEAVILY DAMAGED. FLYING DEBRIS WILL

BE DANGEROUS TO PEOPLE AND ANIMALS. EXPECT CONSIDERABLE

DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES. EXTENSIVE TREE

DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES ARE LIKELY.

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR...

PLYMOUTH AND CULVER AROUND 810 PM EDT.

SOUTH BEND AND ROSELAND AROUND 815 PM EDT.

MISHAWAKA AND GRANGER AROUND 820 PM EDT.

OSCEOLA AND ROCHESTER AROUND 825 PM EDT.

ELKHART AND MENTONE AROUND 830 PM EDT.

DUNLAP AND AKRON AROUND 835 PM EDT.

OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE CHAIN-O-LAKES...LYDICK...

MONTEREY...TWIN LAKES...TEEGARDEN...RUTLAND...MAXINKUCKEE...

LINKVILLE...HIBBARD AND BURR OAK.

South Bend, 48mph gust to 67mph. It's still going people, just not as many stations out there... or their all loosing power.

SPECI KSBN 250023Z 27042G58KT 2SM TSRA SQ FEW020 SCT031 BKN043 22/19 A3004 RMK AO2 PK WND 26058/0020 VIS 1/2V5 LTG DSNT S-NW TSB07RAB21 PRESRR P0000

Archived