• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
East Pacific Hurricane Season 2013

OK, I admit I'm not doing much to earn my A-List Tropical Dude status lately, but I have to say, I'm a little disappointed to pop in here and see zero discussion Re: the EPAC invests, one of which is likely to become a cyclone soon.

C'mon, guys.   B)

P.S.  I know I've been mega-lame lately, but I'll be back on board soon.  It's just been a busy few months for me...

I was going to comment on the mandarin yesterday, but the thread seemed kind of dormant.

Cherry now...

Looks like it has a way to go to me with the 'bursting'

post-138-0-36914600-1369664290_thumb.gif

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for updating the subtitle Adam, been away from the computer for the long weekend...

Looks like 92E is competing with some convection that developed over land in southern MX.  We'll see what happens overnight as that diminishes.

You're welcome.

90% cherry now, storms aren't in the burst and fizzle mode as much as yesterday, and rotation can be seen on IR2 product, but I'd like to see more rotation on regular false color infrared.  NHC seems to suggest advisories and warnings could go up at any time, if this was farther from the Mexican coast, I don't think it'd warrant an upgrade, but public safety concerns may force their hands.

EP, 92, 2013052812,   , BEST,   0, 138N,  956W,  30, 1005, LO,  34, NEQ

Edit, I was trying to attach false color satellite loop, but the little circle of attachment never stops turning.  Easily found on internet, and not a classic tight eyed major cane that needs to be archived for posterity...

Still worth watching for Atlantic Tropical Thread fans in case its remnants contribute to something in the NW Caribbean/Bay of Campeche which might escape out from under the US SW ridge for Florida, or get turned back due West towards the NE Mexican coast.

TROPICAL DEPRESSION TWO-E DISCUSSION NUMBER   1
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       EP022013
200 PM PDT TUE MAY 28 2013

THE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE THAT HAS BEEN MEANDERING NEAR THE GULF OF
TEHUANTEPEC DURING THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS HAS DEVELOPED A
WELL-DEFINED CENTER OF CIRCULATION. IN ADDITION...DEEP CONVECTION
HAS BECOME MORE CONCENTRATED NEAR THE CENTER AND DVORAK
CLASSIFICATIONS ARE T2.0 FROM TAFB AND T2.5 FROM SAB.  THEREFORE...
THIS AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IS NOW BEING CLASSIFIED AS A TROPICAL
DEPRESSION WITH MAXIMUM WINDS OF 30 KT.

THE INITIAL MOTION OF THE DEPRESSION IS QUITE UNCERTAIN SINCE THE
LOW-LEVEL CENTER HAS BEEN ILL-DEFINED UP UNTIL NOW...BUT THE BEST
GUESS IS A NORTHWARD DRIFT. THE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO TURN
NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD WITH SOME INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED AS IT FEELS
THE INFLUENCE OF A LARGE TROUGH MOVING INTO THE CENTRAL UNITED
STATES. THE TRACK FORECAST CLOSELY FOLLOWS THE MODEL CONSENSUS AND
BRINGS THE CYCLONE TO THE SOUTHEASTERN COAST OF MEXICO IN ABOUT 24
HOURS.

THE ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC CONDITIONS APPEAR FAVORABLE FOR THE
SYSTEM TO STRENGTHEN UNTIL IT MAKES LANDFALL...AND THE INTENSITY
FORECAST IS AT THE HIGH END OF THE MODEL GUIDANCE FOR THE NEXT 24
HOURS. AFTER LANDFALL...STEADY WEAKENING IS ANTICIPATED AS THE
CYCLONE INTERACTS WITH RUGGED TERRAIN. DUE TO THE LARGE CLOUD FIELD
AND EXPECTED SLOW MOTION...THE BIGGEST HAZARD WILL LIKELY BE HEAVY
RAINFALL AND THE POTENTIAL FOR FLASH FLOODING AND MUD SLIDES.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT  28/2100Z 14.2N  96.5W   30 KT  35 MPH
12H  29/0600Z 14.9N  96.0W   40 KT  45 MPH
24H  29/1800Z 16.2N  95.7W   50 KT  60 MPH...INLAND
36H  30/0600Z 17.6N  95.5W   35 KT  40 MPH...INLAND
48H  30/1800Z 18.6N  95.5W   25 KT  30 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW
72H  31/1800Z...DISSIPATED

$$
FORECASTER CANGIALOSI/PASCH

BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM BARBARA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 1A
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP022013
500 PM PDT TUE MAY 28 2013

...DEPRESSION STRENGTHENS INTO TROPICAL STORM BARBARA...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM PDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...14.2N 96.0W
ABOUT 145 MI...230 KM SSW OF SALINA CRUZ MEXICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1004 MB...29.65 INCHES

It looks to be intensifying-- radar shows what looks like an eye is forming.  The NHC forecast suggests it could be approaching hurricane strength as it crosses the coast tomorrow.

It does look fairly impressive on radar... outside chance of minimal hurricane intensity in my opinion given that its already in the beginning stages of having an established inner core and still seems to be 18 hours away from landfall, if not longer.

2z4yahi.gif

It's strengthening as it heads for the Oaxaca coast, and the Mexican government has issued a Hurricane Watch. The NHC says the convective pattern suggests possible rapid intensification.  Looks great on IR.

Cool factoid:  if it becomes a hurricane and stays on the forecast track, it would be the furthest-east hurricane landfall on record in this basin.

Barbara is probably very near to hurricane intensity based upon the latest radar imagery from Puerto Ángel. Normally, a TC embedded in a monsoonal gyre near the Mexican coastline would become vulnerable to downslope interference as it approaches land; but in this case, there is a weak low-level shortwave ridge just to the north of the cyclone. This ridge is marked by ESE (meaning onshore) flow along the periphery, which is serving as a conduit for low-level moistening of the boundary layer, thus increasing the lapse rate. This is a great example of how the MJO is beneficial for the strengthening of small E Pacific cyclones like Barbara. While there are some weak westerlies lurking just to the north, UL divergence is improving due to the influence of a trough to the northwest, so I would anticipate further intensification up until landfall.

barbara0529131.gif

Wow-- that's a crazy radar shot!  That's a 'cane.  No doubt in my mind.

This is up there with one of the most impressive rapid intensification cases from genesis... keep in mind this was only initially classified a mere 13 hours ago! That even outclasses the likes of Humberto (2007)!

This is up there with one of the most impressive rapid intensification cases from genesis... keep in mind this was only initially classified a mere 13 hours ago! That even outclasses the likes of Humberto (2007)!

Yeah, it's crazy.  The evolution seemed to happen in a matter of hours.

The Mexicans clearly noticed this, too, because they hoisted a Hurricane Warning at 3:25 am PDT.  They couldn't even wait until the next advisory.  I think that was the right decision, given the rapid evolution of this thing.

Broken eyewall may have tightened up very briefly as Barbara made landfall, but seems to be expanding again.  That was a very impressive genesis -> RI event!  Weakening stage has probably begun. 

It would be nice to see some surface obs out of that barrier island, but it appears to be more or less uninhabited east of San Mateo.  Nearest reporting station I can find is Salina Cruz, but they haven't reported for a couple hours now. 

I'm thrown off by the imagery here. The NHC has not yet declared landfall. The radar imagery suggests the eye is almost entirely inland; however, visible imagery shows an eye feature clearing out well offshore. Perhaps the MLC is not aligned with the LLC, or perhaps the radar site is just way off. Any suggestions?

post-845-0-48270100-1369846670_thumb.gif

post-845-0-76343400-1369846653_thumb.jpg

I'm thrown off by the imagery here. The NHC has not yet declared landfall. The radar imagery suggests the eye is almost entirely inland; however, visible imagery shows an eye feature clearing out well offshore. Perhaps the MLC is not aligned with the LLC, or perhaps the radar site is just way off. Any suggestions?

Hmm, that is perplexing.  NHC discussion seems to attribute it to northerly shear (LLC showing up on radar, ULC showing on satellite), but I'd be surprised to see such an extreme vertical tilt with such a tight apparent eyewall.  Either way, it's still probably a contributing factor. 

The drawing of the coastline could be somewhat off on the satellite imagery (it's tricky with barrier islands and an intercoastal to define an exact coast), and perhaps the radar is incorrectly calibrated.  Hard to say for sure. 

BULLETIN
HURRICANE BARBARA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER   5A
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       EP022013
1100 AM PDT WED MAY 29 2013

...BARBARA BECOMES A HURRICANE AS IT NEARS THE COAST OF MEXICO...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM PDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...15.8N 94.3W
ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM ESE OF SALINA CRUZ MEXICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 20 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...990 MB...29.23 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...

NONE.

Also of interest:

1. SOME SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY HAS REDEVELOPED IN ASSOCIATION
WITH THE LOW PRESSURE AREA LOCATED ABOUT 750 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST
OF THE SOUTHERN TIP OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENNISULA...BUT THIS
ACTIVITY REMAINS POORLY ORGANIZED.  ALTHOUGH THIS SYSTEM COULD
BECOME A TROPICAL CYCLONE LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT...ENVIRONMENTAL
CONDITIONS DO NOT FAVOR SIGNIFICANT STRENGTHENING.  THE LOW PRESSURE
AREA WILL MOVE TOWARD THE NORTHEAST AT 5 TO 10 MPH DURING THE NEXT
COUPLE OF DAYS.  THIS DISTURBANCE HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...40
PERCENT
...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

Hmm, that is perplexing.  NHC discussion seems to attribute it to northerly shear (LLC showing up on radar, ULC showing on satellite), but I'd be surprised to see such an extreme vertical tilt with such a tight apparent eyewall.  Either way, it's still probably a contributing factor. 

The drawing of the coastline could be somewhat off on the satellite imagery (it's tricky with barrier islands and an intercoastal to define an exact coast), and perhaps the radar is incorrectly calibrated.  Hard to say for sure. 

Yes, I have no doubt the satellite imagery's outline of the Oaxacan coast is in error somewhat. But surely it's not off that much? Something really seems amiss. The radar out of Puerto Ángel suggests the eye is already over Cerro Atravesado, which is around 7,500 feet elevation. That's quite a bit inland. Yet, there is clearly intensification still underway based on satellite. Not that it couldn't be briefly tightening up due to land interaction, but the elevation seems like it would be more of an inhibiting factor. I just really want to say the radar is flat out inaccurate:

Edit:

NHC 11 AM PDT position: 15.8N 94.3W

Position of Cerro Altravesado: 16.5N 94.4W

post-845-0-46129500-1369850550_thumb.gif

post-845-0-69388900-1369850584_thumb.jpg

post-845-0-35742900-1369850639_thumb.jpg

Archived