• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

That's some pretty crazy helicity numbers.  If we are able to get 1500 or even 2000 Cape then some of those storms will really take off.  I'd aslo watch for the Valley areas where winds may locally back even more.  

Our local WRF is maintaining winds from 180 or 190 in the Connecticut Valley from BDL (edge of our domain) northward, as opposed to 240 or so behind the warm front.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our local WRF is maintaining winds from 180 or 190 in the Connecticut Valley from BDL (edge of our domain) northward, as opposed to 240 or so behind the warm front.

Seeing a local model show that is great to see.  Not too often do the NAM/GFS really pick up on that but more often than not, when warm fronts lift through here, the winds tend to stay backed longer at the sfc.  

Seeing a local model show that is great to see.  Not too often do the NAM/GFS really pick up on that but more often than not, when warm fronts lift through here, the winds tend to stay backed longer at the sfc.  

The atmosphere tends to have a "memory" of these sorts of features, and model guidance can definitely be too quick to wash these things out. Happens all the time with OFBs.

The atmosphere tends to have a "memory" of these sorts of features, and model guidance can definitely be too quick to wash these things out. Happens all the time with OFBs.

While the MCS has greatly weakened over the past few hours that certainly had to leave some sort of outflow boundary, albeit weak somewhere there in eastern NY in the Albany area.  

Satellite trends are looking great though, showing tons of breaks in the clouds already and once the sun comes up we should get even more.  Cloud tops have been rapidly warming.  Can't wait to see how things look as we near sunrise and a few hours past.  

While the MCS has greatly weakened over the past few hours that certainly had to leave some sort of outflow boundary, albeit weak somewhere there in eastern NY in the Albany area.  

Satellite trends are looking great though, showing tons of breaks in the clouds already and once the sun comes up we should get even more.  Cloud tops have been rapidly warming.  Can't wait to see how things look as we near sunrise and a few hours past.  

Well it certainly has the look of severe weather for our area, seeing as our ceilings at the office have lowered to below 1000 feet.

Nice to see the Pit in your "purple oval of doom".  I wish this wasn't so late in the day (unless I'm interpreting things, we're looking more at evening than daytime, no?).   I have to give a presentation at a conference on the north shore tomorrow.  I want to hold off my drive to the hotel as long as possible tonight in case any storms come through.

Meanwhile, picked up .39" overnight.

Nice to see the Pit in your "purple oval of doom".  I wish this wasn't so late in the day (unless I'm interpreting things, we're looking more at evening than daytime, no?).   I have to give a presentation at a conference on the north shore tomorrow.  I want to hold off my drive to the hotel as long as possible tonight in case any storms come through.

Meanwhile, picked up .39" overnight.

The latest runs of the HRRR are trying to indicate a couple rounds possible. Late afternoon with the southern edge of the decaying MCS and another that fires off the lakes breezes from Erie/Ontario and tracks east in the evening.

The latest runs of the HRRR are trying to indicate a couple rounds possible. Late afternoon with the southern edge of the decaying MCS and another that fires off the lakes breezes from Erie/Ontario and tracks east in the evening.

Thanks.  Hopefully any of the evening activity would be before 8:00--that's already later than I'd like to leave.

Still a decent setup, regardless. MOS dew-points look much more realistic. MAV/MET in fair agreement with mid-60's.

MET is noticeably less though. At BDL it goes from upper 50s to low 60s by this afternoon. The 65/66 on MAV is closer to what you'd want. 

MET is noticeably less though. At BDL it goes from upper 50s to low 60s by this afternoon. The 65/66 on MAV is closer to what you'd want.

As is too often the case, everything has to line up just right around here and as far as dews go, far from ideal.

Hopefully Wiz can get west or northwest. Timing is also a bit later than we'd like for N CT as guidance wants to push storms in 6-8pm.

Archived