Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flying into Denver on 6/8 then going wherever. We will do the Dakotas if we need to. 

Looks like we'll have troughing over the PAC NW so perhaps the Dakotas. But you never know....sometimes you get that wrly continental flow aloft and weak upslope SE winds at the surface and that's all you need for those sct supercells.

Looks like we'll have troughing over the PAC NW so perhaps the Dakotas. But you never know....sometimes you get that wrly continental flow aloft and weak upslope SE winds at the surface and that's all you need for those sct supercells.

Yeah exactly. Doesn't look like a monster ridge so I imagine we'll have a pretty fast flow with some s/ws racing through the N Rockies and upper midwest. That... plus scattered supercells in the high plains I guess.

Wednesday doesn't look too impressive at this point as we don't maximize daytime heating and clouds, drizzle/fog try to hang around. Typical for these parts.

If we can clear out though, it might get interesting.

Better hopes for a backdoor cold front or similar frontal passage over the weekend or early next week.

Will try to find the towns but as far as counties goes:

August 21st, 1951 was in Essex

November 21st, 1956 was in Worcester (guess that might not count...it was in far NE Worcester county...not sure if that goes inside of 128 or not)

July 11th, 1958 Middlesex and Duke 

August 25th, 1958 Middlesex 

Looking at that now.  Better instability into western CT by 18z along with decent shear/helicity.  Right now thinking perhaps NE PA/SE NY area as a target.  

It really will all depend on any MCS activity in the morning and how we're able to destabilize and keep winds from veering to limit convergence. 

It really will all depend on any MCS activity in the morning and how we're able to destabilize and keep winds from veering to limit convergence. 

This will be something we probably decide Wednesday morning of where to head out.  I know my boss is not going to be happy with the threat of rain/storms.

Too bad they can't generate any instability in NE PA tomorrow...helicity is through the roof!

This will be something we probably decide Wednesday morning of where to head out.  I know my boss is not going to be happy with the threat of rain/storms.

Too bad they can't generate any instability in NE PA tomorrow...helicity is through the roof!

Yeah it's all about overperforming instability. If that can happen and we're able to trigger something watching out... will be an enivonrment rich with low level shear and nice long and curved hodographs (for us). 

Yeah it's all about overperforming instability. If that can happen and we're able to trigger something watching out... will be an enivonrment rich with low level shear and nice long and curved hodographs (for us). 

It will be interesting to see what happens with the lapse rates.  The 12z NAM bufkit, has some pretty steep lapse rates here, however, after 3 PM or so, the lapse rates really weaken. 

Sorry...actually zooming in, there has never been a tornado greater than an F1 inside of Rt. 128...the closest one was August 25th, 1958 and it occurred at 4:00 AM. Maybe it was Lynnfield but it was right near Newbury St right near I95

thanks wiz for lookin, just amazing to me that no f1 or greater tornadoes have happend inside 128.

Lookin at the path of the great orh tornado which went to just ne of fayville mass , i prob would have caught a glimpse of that when i was near the western border of framingham. (Fayville is just sw)

thanks wiz for lookin, just amazing to me that no f1 or greater tornadoes have happend inside 128.

Lookin at the path of the great orh tornado which went to just ne of fayville mass , i prob would have caught a glimpse of that when i was near the western border of framingham. (Fayville is just sw)

No problem!

Here'a  great site for tornado data.  Even has plots of the tornadoes...some of the plots may not be completely accurate but this site is amazing.  

This should be linked to MA

http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com/custom/2746492/map

Archived