Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Copake video is much more telling than the one pic I saw yesterday...the initial grainy pic looked like it had some support for being a condensation funnel...but with the video in Ryan's report and the additional angle of the photo, its pretty clear that was scud.

The Copake video is much more telling than the one pic I saw yesterday...the initial grainy pic looked like it had some support for being a condensation funnel...but with the video in Ryan's report and the additional angle of the photo, its pretty clear that was scud.

With the low rotating wall cloud (which was pretty impressive) and the radar signature you could certainly make the argument that a borderline TOR was warranted... particularly with the storm's deviant motion.

The other angles of pics definitely show that the "funnel" was scud though... agree with you Will that the initial grainy pic could have gone either way. 

With the low rotating wall cloud (which was pretty impressive) and the radar signature you could certainly make the argument that a borderline TOR was warranted... particularly with the storm's deviant motion.

The other angles of pics definitely show that the "funnel" was scud though... agree with you Will that the initial grainy pic could have gone either way. 

Yeah...that initial grainy photo looked like it was (or could have been) a condensation funnel coming down from a wall cloud. But the angle in your piece showed it so much better which gave it away as scud. Nice piece BTW.

How we lookin tmrw for severe

more of a heavy rain/flash flooding type deal I think...especially for western areas.  Can't rule out the possibility of a few strong to severe storms though, especially if we can destabilize some.  Shear will be quite strong but lapse rates will be pretty bad.  

Good stuff. Have you ever seen vortex95's "scudnado?" I think BillB was going to use that in his skywarn training.

BillB did show some false tornadoes at last weeks training and I think that image was included.

Archived