Newest Member
    Monty
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with sun here seems like we are ok?

What I mean is that the marine air is in place It's going to have to flush out first and it is doing that as it mixes out and winds turn SW.

Wow, now that I check...Logan is a 210 wind. Well, that's good...I think these shwrs are flushing the taint out. We'll have to watch for a seabreeze here, but surprised at the wind direction right now.

Just as long as we get something around here.  I'll be at work today though...can't not go in for 3 straight days or that will hurt me come pay day but I'll have my laptop so I can keep up with things,  

CT Rain not feeling it today apparently in the banter thread

CT Rain not feeling it today apparently in the banter thread

Instability didn't look all that great today when I looked at models last night and I was a little shocked to see the slight extended so far east but shear is much stronger and lapse rates are still relatively steep so I guess if we can get some sufficient destabilization we coulld pop some stuff.  

Instability didn't look all that great today when I looked at models last night and I was a little shocked to see the slight extended so far east but shear is much stronger and lapse rates are still relatively steep so I guess if we can get some sufficient destabilization we coulld pop some stuff.  

Probably late in the day is the best shot and elevated stuff this evening. Dewpoints are pretty juicey to our SW to if we can get into that late in the day, then we could see some stronger storms.

Probably late in the day is the best shot and elevated stuff this evening. Dewpoints are pretty juicey to our SW to if we can get into that late in the day, then we could see some stronger storms.

If we are able to get back into the juicy airmass I suppose it could be a little interesting...especially with outflow boundaries in place from yesterday's convection.  

mcd0768.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0768   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1031 AM CDT WED MAY 22 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL/ERN NY INTO SRN NEW ENGLAND....NERN PA      CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE       VALID 221531Z - 221730Z      PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...60 PERCENT      SUMMARY...STORMS SHOULD INCREASE IN COVERAGE WITH MAINLY A HAIL   THREAT EARLY THIS AFTERNOON.      DISCUSSION...A WARM AIR MASS WILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD NEWD INTO SRN   NEW ENGLAND WITH CONTINUED HEATING...CREATING SUFFICIENT INSTABILITY   FOR A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS. 12Z ALB SOUNDING SHOWS MODERATELY   STRONG FLOW AND A SUFFICIENTLY LONG HODOGRAPH FOR A FEW LONG LIVED   STORMS CAPABLE MAINLY OF HAIL. GUSTY WINDS WILL ALSO BE LIKELY.   WHILE DEVELOPMENT MAY BE DISORGANIZED...COVERAGE MAY WARRANT A   WATCH.      ..JEWELL/KERR.. 05/22/2013         ATTN...WFO...BOX...BTV...OKX...ALY...PHI...BGM...BUF...CTP...   

Comparing 12Z ALB soundings from today to yesterday, looks like everything above 500 mb has warmed quite a bit.  There's even a bit of an inversion at about 7 km.  I suspect this will lead to shallower updrafts than yesterday, so while hail may still be possible, 2" hail should be less likely. 

Shear is a bit of a trade-off.  Yesterday had marginally better 0-3 km helicity, today has slightly better speed shear.  Guess we'll see what happens!

Comparing 12Z ALB soundings from today to yesterday, looks like everything above 500 mb has warmed quite a bit.  There's even a bit of an inversion at about 7 km.  I suspect this will lead to shallower updrafts than yesterday, so while hail may still be possible, 2" hail should be less likely. 

Shear is a bit of a trade-off.  Yesterday had marginally better 0-3 km helicity, today has slightly better speed shear.  Guess we'll see what happens!

Yeah no question lapse rates are weaker... and with less boundary layer moisture and diabatic heating not expecting as much hail.

I'm on the Mass Pike on the ridge of the Berkshires right now and have broken through the inversion... low clouds in front and back with blue sky above. Pretty cool. 

Yeah no question lapse rates are weaker... and with less boundary layer moisture and diabatic heating not expecting as much hail.

I'm on the Mass Pike on the ridge of the Berkshires right now and have broken through the inversion... low clouds in front and back with blue sky above. Pretty cool. 

Any pony tails visible to the right on the ridges?

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0210.html

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 210
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
100 PM EDT WED MAY 22 2013

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 210 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

CTC003-005-013-015-230200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0210.130522T1700Z-130523T0200Z/

CT
. CONNECTICUT COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

HARTFORD LITCHFIELD TOLLAND
WINDHAM