Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

850s of +19 are trying to push in along with a decent Jet. That's gonna fire off elevated convection.

I'm wondering .. yeah.  I've seen this in the past, where an acceleration just above the boundary layer can cause ground clutter echoes to move in that direction ... like it's the lowest member beams picking up on that.  The ground clutter started moving unilaterally ENE about an hour ago.  If that is what's happening here, probably will have to deal with lightning and pea hail over this cold slab. 

I'm wondering .. yeah. I've seen this in the past, where an acceleration just above the boundary layer can cause ground clutter echoes to move in that direction ... like it's the lowest member beams picking up on that. The ground clutter started moving unilaterally ENE about an hour ago. If that is what's happening here, probably will have to deal with lightning and pea hail over this cold slab.

I've seen that before too. This cool layer is like 2500ft thick or so, perhaps the beam is high enough to pick up returns moving NE above that level.

Lightning was probably the most impressive part

Safe trip home.

The cells are over UMass now with the Davis registering 1.25"/hr rates.  Very frequent thunder in Belchertown and and it should be here shortly.  I think it's weakened a bit since you were getting pelted in Turners, so not expecting hail, but it would be cool.

Lots of lightning and thunder here for the last hour or so. Had a few strikes real close by, flash then house rumbling thunder in less than a second. Pretty neat to get this with a temp of 49-50. Hardly any wind at all here.

I don't understand how my 3 year old and 9 month old sleep through this but I'm glad they do.

Safe trip home.

The cells are over UMass now with the Davis registering 1.25"/hr rates. Very frequent thunder in Belchertown and and it should be here shortly. I think it's weakened a bit since you were getting pelted in Turners, so not expecting hail, but it would be cool.

Thanks!

Just got into fitchburg. Heavy rain. Not torrential. Lightning isn't as frequent. Still decent light show here.

Archived