Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this photo, posted by Steve LaPointe of WRGB on his Facebook page.  

attachicon.gif5-21-suyvesaNT FALLS.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=537224712982845&set=a.216589778379675.51978.216538205051499&type=1&relevant_count=1

It was taken by a Brett Boyles, in Stuyvesant Falls, Columbia County, New York.  I know it's not technically New England, but it's close by so I think it's worth posting. This definitely looks like a funnel to me.

Hey where'd you get that pic from the Salisbury School? Was that legit?

As for that picture I could go either way... we did get a picture from Copake of a really awesome and neat beaver tail that definitely wasn't a funnel/tornado so I wonder if this pic is really the beaver tail from another angle?

Hey where'd you get that pic from the Salisbury School? Was that legit?

As for that picture I could go either way... we did get a picture from Copake of a really awesome and neat beaver tail that definitely wasn't a funnel/tornado so I wonder if this pic is really the beaver tail from another angle?

As far as I could gather it was legit.  This is a friend from high school.  I asked her if it was her own photo.  She said that she was driving, and that a woman who was her passenger took the picture.  I also asked her what time they took the photo, and she said 6:28 PM, which seems to match up with the timing of the storm.  If anyone has any further questions, I can ask her directly.

Certainly turning into an MCS so I think biggest threat now is hail...mainly under 1'' but there could be some embedded cells strong enough to get to 1'' hail.  

BGM radar looking pretty good for later.  lol

As far as I could gather it was legit.  This is a friend from high school.  I asked her if it was her own photo.  She said that she was driving, and that a woman who was her passenger took the picture.  I also asked her what time they took the photo, and she said 6:28 PM, which seems to match up with the timing of the storm.  If anyone has any further questions, I can ask her directly.

No that's cool.... it makes sense given the signature moving through there. I saw someone posted it on the NWS Albany wall too so wanted to make sure it was all coming from the same source!

This is a quasi -MCS it seems.  True MCS are based on mid-level instability that happen to have an inflow jet along the 850mb level.  This system appears to have some of that, but it will need to pass over this cool dome and maintain to prove it is not more SBCape dependent.  

This is a quasi -MCS it seems. True MCS are based on mid-level instability that happen to have an inflow jet along the 850mb level. This system appears to have some of that, but it will need to pass over this cool dome and maintain to prove it is not more SBCape dependent.

Lack of sbcape has definitely affected it. Weakening has been happening near 91 all day and even now. It was potent looking on the east edge where the bow was earlier. Now that it's hit further east into the murk its sort of leveled down to a strong storm look. West edge still flourishing though because it hasnt started to march east. Probably see weakening trend near berks continue and a good light show for many because of elevated instability and the outstanding lapse rates and good shear.

Lots of distant lightning and in-cloud stuff, but nothing that was worth sitting on the freezing deck for.

But I did anyways.

Just had a close CG here....shook the whole house.

0.38" of much needed rain so far.

Nice pressure jump line with this line...

BarometerHistory.gif

Archived