Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
2013 New England Severe General Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ASOS can have weird gusts with very heavy rain, but certainly could have been a wet micro.

BDL has an FAA human observer for a few more months, right?  (They must, otherwise the METAR wouldn't have been so detailed.)  Since the METAR appears to have been augmented and the PK WND is still in there, I'm assuming it's legit.

BDL has an FAA human observer for a few more months, right?  (They must, otherwise the METAR wouldn't have been so detailed.)  Since the METAR appears to have been augmented and the PK WND is still in there, I'm assuming it's legit.

Yeah the observer is there. I've read some stuff about torrential rains and wind gusts with ASOS, but I don't see a reason to discount it since it easily could have been a wet micro. I assume we would see damage reports from the area if true.

When you have a nice turning with height....IE WNW winds at H5 and SSW winds at the surface, you tend to see some right moves at times..especially with any mid level meso. Tough to explain and even I don't quite understand fully, but there are processes going on that cause this. Outflows are one, rotation is another.

Yeah the observer is there. I've read some stuff about torrential rains and wind gusts with ASOS, but I don't see a reason to discount it since it easily could have been a wet micro. I assume we would see damage reports from the area if true.

Looks legit to me. It wasn't one of those 05G59KT deals. They had frequent high gusts before that as well.

When you have a nice turning with height....IE WNW winds at H5 and SSW winds at the surface, you tend to see some right moves at times..especially with any mid level meso. Tough to explain and even I don't quite understand fully, but there are processes going on that cause this. Outflows are one, rotation is another.

The last I read about it, it has to do with torque, ...weak analogy, curve-ball.   The other idea was that it's perpetually redeveloping toward the direction of best CAPE. 

The last I read about it, it has to do with torque, ...weak analogy, curve-ball.   The other idea was that it's perpetually redeveloping toward the direction of best CAPE. 

Well the CAPE idea I think has to do with meso rotation..leading to the torque idea if I'm not mistaking. There are weird pressure pertubations and all sorts of stuff going on, but I'm definitely not an expert on that. Just stuff I saw....Atticafanatica posted an article about this in the meteorologist only forum I believe.

Archived