BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Mid May cold snap

Ginx snewx

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coventry that is just awesome, although are u sure fairbanks ave high is already 60?

Climate Data for Fairbanks 05/12/2013 High Low Precip Snow Peak Wind Observed 52 37 0.00 0.0 WNW25 Normal 60 36 0.02 0.1   Record 81(1942) 20(1917) 0.78(1992) 9.4(1992)             05/13/2013 High Low Precip Snow   Normal 60 37 0.02 0.0   Record 76(1930) 26(1928) 0.56(1964) 4.5(1964)  

I'm hoping some of those heavier echoes off to the west move over me. If so, we might get a full blown snow/graupel shower. That would be pretty wild for 5/13.

I haven't seen snow here in May since 2005 when we had some graupel/mangled flakes in one of those cold pool aloft type airmasses not too dissimilar to today. Its not all that common anyway...esp east of the Berks. We had a trace in May of 1996 and also May 1994..I remember both of those. The 1994 event actually stuck a bit but wasnt enough to be measurable. Then you have to go back to May 1986 (a measurable event at 0.3")

Of course, we had the accumulating snow in May of 2002 as well.  

Good question. Probably bark and try and run up to it.

You would have laughed at one of our Bichons when he saw a horse for the first time, thought he was Mighty Mouse until the horse grunted then he jumped up in my arms faster than I ever saw him move.

MetHerb is right down the road, just a couple miles from here... our readings are usually similar. 

Are both of you in a bit of a basin? I know metherb is...his readings are usually quite cold on rad nights. I think he said he has some higher hills on each side of his location.

Are both of you in a bit of a basin? I know metherb is...his readings are usually quite cold on rad nights. I think he said he has some higher hills on each side of his location.

I think there's a hill between us and we both live on opposite sides, so slightly lower elevation, but still around 650-700ft. 

Yeah, you could say that.  I'm in a flat area on the side of hill in the center of town that tops out at 850' but we're surrounded by hills further out over 1000'.  The center of town is around 450' so it's a bit of a bowl.

Here's a map giving an overview of the terrain:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.95215,-72.302828&spn=0.036193,0.055189&t=p&z=14

This is an older map but gives better detail:

http://broermapsonline.org/online/NorthAmerica/UnitedStates/NewEngland/Connecticut/USGS03/staffordspringsctn1-316801952.html

I think there's a hill between us and we both live on opposite sides, so slightly lower elevation, but still around 650-700ft. 

lol, yeah, we're directly opposite each other.  You're on the hill to my south and I'm on the hill to your north.  I see where you live (generally) when I'm coming down my hill.

Archived