Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
April 17-18 Heavy Rain Event

A-L-E-K

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About to head into town (Batavia) to see how bad it is compared to that year. Rememeber that well.

Grab some pics if you can! Sounds like some impressive flooding out there, would love to see what some of these record crests look like.

Getting little in the way of precip here in Ontario. Under 0.5" so far for this event, seems as though most of the precip will remain to our west.

Scary pics IWOblu.

---

4.10" of rain since late morning yesterday. 

100 roads in Lake County alone closed down now.

The Deep Tunnel system is at capacity (2.3 billion gallons). The locks have been open to Lake MI since the wee hours of the morning.

Yeah that's the same spot BowMe.

The thing of it is... is there any more sinkholes down roads that are closed off? 

Incredible rise on this gauge.

boli2_hg.png

Edit: US 41 in Lake County is still shut down south of here. Heard reports of floating cars on I-290 in DuPage County.

The wife & I closed on our new home in the woods of East Libertyville on Monday. We're less than a half mile east of the Des Plaines river. Since then it's been nothing but excitement! The afternoon following our closing a tree limb fell on live power lines about 60 ft behind our home and caught on fire. If you've never seen a large firetruck try to maneuver down a one lane private road you should, it's pretty entertaining. We're moving into the home on Saturday, but I've been by every morning and evening to monitor how the property is draining as there is a stream that runs along the northern periphery of the 1.5 acre lot. While that stream is just over its banks, the lot seems to be draining decently despite all of the rain. The garage and shed saw an inch or two of water during the height of the rain last night, but the home is dry as can be. Crossing my fingers!

As the low lifts northeast this afternoon I expect it to bring some more rain to the Chicago area along with it, but nothing like we've seen over the past couple days 

Anyway, here are some shots of the swollen Des Plaines River from the Rockland Road bridge in Libertyville at around 9 am today, the stream alongside my new home and the home itself. The final photo is the nearby Riverside Park & Golf Course under water which borders the west bank of the Des Plaines River.

aFZDP79.jpg

STz8WMs.jpg

d5Z1sAT.jpg

RhXpVmM.jpg

EW5yoyS.jpg

cocNEEH.jpg

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

316 PM CDT THU APR 18 2013

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0300 PM HEAVY RAIN 1 SE LISLE 41.78N 88.07W

04/18/2013 M6.97 INCH DUPAGE IL COCORAHS

RAINFALL TOTAL SINCE YESTERDAY. 1.07 INCHES IN THE PAST 8 HOURS. SIGNIFICANT RUNOFF IN THE PAST 4 HOURS. STANDING WATER IN THE YARD HAS RECEDED.

Archived