• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Furloughs coming to the NWS?

I saw word on NWS friends facebook that union stewards received official word of the 4 day furlough for all NWS employees that will be done over the summer.   I know no other details. 

Sad to say this is true, barring some miraculous intervention by congress.

Just a sad state of affairs overall in this country. Going to try and not turn this into PR, but what we see occurring here with sequestration is just a glint into the larger societal problems facing America. As money continues to dry up, science will continue to get the shaft as it is simply no longer cool or respected in our increasingly simple-minded society. It should be appalling to Americans that science took such a big hit with sequestration, but it seems politics and irrationality has trumped progress and technology in our society, and that is downright scary. Proper science takes hard work and dedication with little fanfare or glory. It just doesn't appeal to the increasingly shallow minded nature of Americans. Instead, dimwitted fools across the country look for quick rich schemes and free handouts; it seems most American citizens are more than delighted to fight over the leftover scraps. Only a matter of time until there are no scraps left to fight over.

With regard to the NWS situation, unless money magically becomes more readily available (to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars), the current state of 122 WFOs is simply not sustainable if we actually want to move forward as a whole. There really is no getting around that simple fact. Things like improvements and technological advances cost money, and there is no money left in this country. We can only hope the next generation of Americans can wake up to the reality we face.

On a positive note, I still feel incredibly lucky to even have a job in this field, and while 4 furlough days is unpleasant, it could have been so much worse. NWS employees have no reason to gripe (and I haven't seen much if any, thankfully). In the world of meteorology, even with the severe budget cuts, we still have it pretty good, and I hope all NWS employees continue to provide a standout public service regardless of the situation.

Just a sad state of affairs overall in this country. Going to try and not turn this into PR, but what we see occurring here with sequestration is just a glint into the larger societal problems facing America. As money continues to dry up, science will continue to get the shaft as it is simply no longer cool or respected in our increasingly simple-minded society. It should be appalling to Americans that science took such a big hit with sequestration, but it seems politics and irrationality has trumped progress and technology in our society, and that is downright scary. Proper science takes hard work and dedication with little fanfare or glory. It just doesn't appeal to the increasingly shallow minded nature of Americans. Instead, dimwitted fools across the country look for quick rich schemes and free handouts; it seems most American citizens are more than delighted to fight over the leftover scraps. Only a matter of time until there are no scraps left to fight over.

With regard to the NWS situation, unless money magically becomes more readily available (to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars), the current state of 122 WFOs is simply not sustainable if we actually want to move forward as a whole. There really is no getting around that simple fact. Things like improvements and technological advances cost money, and there is no money left in this country. We can only hope the next generation of Americans can wake up to the reality we face.

On a positive note, I still feel incredibly lucky to even have a job in this field, and while 4 furlough days is unpleasant, it could have been so much worse. NWS employees have no reason to gripe (and I haven't seen much if any, thankfully). In the world of meteorology, even with the severe budget cuts, we still have it pretty good, and I hope all NWS employees continue to provide a standout public service regardless of the situation.

Another problem is the public's most recognized science based government branch has had to suspend all education and outreach. NASA is now restricted to local programs only IE less than 50 miles from centers. 

Another problem is the public's most recognized science based government branch has had to suspend all education and outreach. NASA is now restricted to local programs only IE less than 50 miles from centers. 

Gee what a surprise, and who from NOAA used to work at NASA?

I am not going to PR this beyond this one response and then stop.  The problem is not with Congress. Its with the powers that be within DOC/NOAA.  They have testified that the NWS has sufficient funding and have refused to request reprogramming.  OK its 2 hrs long, but my speakers are messed up at home.  I dont know where it is.

http://thomas.loc.gov/video/house-committee/hsap/31303523

Meanwhile every office is down on average 1 or 2 people before sequestration even kicked in.  The silliness is that the proposed furloughing is going to have to be covered by overtime at a number of offices because we are not fully staffed entering the severe weather and hurricane season. Realized saving?

NOAA plans to distribute $710.5 million in outside grants this year – of that, only $95.85 million in grants have been awarded to date. NOAA is currently soliciting applications for 21 grants totaling $59 million on

www.grants.gov.

So what NOAA is saying without saying its more important to fill a grant like this one (which would prevent furloughs from being requested for entire NOAA)

http://www07.grants.gov/search/search.do;jsessionid=W5J0RG5Ltvll6GSBwYwxtFPbLDkdy6GZFhDGvN6ngmRWQGw1F1WC!-443055358?oppId=232455&mode=VIEW

than it is to ask for reprogramming of money from Congress.

Its not about the furlough, its not about the money, its about this year what is more important, having to save lives and properties with overworked/understaffed offices or.....................???

This is what the frustration is all about. The money is there.

Yes I am a member of the NWSEO and I am done PRing this topic.

I am not going to PR this beyond this one response and then stop.  The problem is not with Congress. Its with the powers that be within DOC/NOAA.  They have testified that the NWS has sufficient funding and have refused to request reprogramming.  OK its 2 hrs long, but my speakers are messed up at home.  I dont know where it is.

Exactly. 

If anyone knows any specifics  let me know.    I heard from my friend at Omaha that info was sent to the stewards and they we should get a letter in the near future.    But what I dont know if they were going to leave the days to furlough to the office...  i.e.  furlough when you are on an admin shift (which wouldnt impact ops)  or do this whole office shutdown thing for a day, which doesnt make sense as your backup office would need to take over and likely bring in extra folks for overtime pay.

Dan- Grand Forks

If anyone knows any specifics  let me know.    I heard from my friend at Omaha that info was sent to the stewards and they we should get a letter in the near future.    But what I dont know if they were going to leave the days to furlough to the office...  i.e.  furlough when you are on an admin shift (which wouldnt impact ops)  or do this whole office shutdown thing for a day, which doesnt make sense as your backup office would need to take over and likely bring in extra folks for overtime pay.

Dan- Grand Forks

From what I understand it will not be office-shutdown type stuff.  Admin shifts and AL can be turned into furlough days, etc.  At least, that's what was sent out.

From what I understand it will not be office-shutdown type stuff.  Admin shifts and AL can be turned into furlough days, etc.  At least, that's what was sent out.

Thanks for that info.....  that would make the most sense and hoped that would be the solution....

Archived