BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
April 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clouds broke and flurries stopped so I went across the road to St. Claire Lake and took this pic. A few days ago I measured 14" of ice but was told  today while in town in town it's 18" in spots but the edge is getting soft so it will break up soon, and when it does, he said it goes fast.  It's really a river that they name as lakes in spots.

Has since clouded over again and snowing very lightly.

Nice walleye. No wonder there are so many boats out there. Reminds me of the dams near me, except wall-to-wall waders.

I'm going to try to go next year...  they were saying, if you want a chance to catch a 10lb walleye, this is where you go.  I have some other pictures that my nephew (kid in picture) sent me...  I guess fishing from shore can be just as good...there were even kayaks out there.

I do miss the green.

April 2012 slowed down the leaf out, but it was still about 2 week ahead of normal. We are probably 2 week behind normal now.

No we are not anywhere close to being that far behind. The native trees are heavy with buds and it wouldn't take but a 3-5 day stretch in the upper 50s and low 60s to pop some green shoots. Last March was so "ahead" of normal some forestry experts pinned it at a 3-5 weeks ahead of normal. MSUs agro tracking has pinned this spring at a normal bloom rate. 

No we are not anywhere close to being that far behind. The native trees are heavy with buds and it wouldn't take but a 3-5 day stretch in the upper 50s and low 60s to pop some green shoots. Last March was so "ahead" of normal some forestry experts pinned it at a 3-5 weeks ahead of normal. MSUs agro tracking has pinned this spring at a normal bloom rate. 

Not here...we have "concrete frost".... I would say 6-10 days of 55F+ for leaf out...

I brought trees into my basement (mid 50Fs) and it took some trees a couple weeks to bud out from full dormancy. 

That's about right. Last year I found my first morels on March 31st. That is exactly one month ahead of normal for this latitude.

There is no signs of any greening or budding around here.. Zippo.

I still have frost up to the surface.

ditto..i was digging in a south expose location, with no snow for a few weeks (I had shoveled it all away) and there was still frost in the ground this past weekend... not much (i broke through it with a sharp shovel), but enough to know that its going to take a little warmth to get this crap thawed out...although a heavy, warm rain is going to do wonders i think.

ditto..i was digging in a south expose location, with no snow for a few weeks (I had shoveled it all away) and there was still frost in the ground this past weekend... not much (i broke through it with a sharp shovel), but enough to know that its going to take a little warmth to get this crap thawed out...although a heavy, warm rain is going to do wonders i think.

It's shoving my landscaping trim upward and its irritating.

Then you are blind dude or not looking. Lol. I was just in Howel yesterday (grand river and lk chumung) and the trees had buds and the forst was well below 3" for we had to trench 20' of electrical conduit.

Buds on the Maple trees here were poppin out all green a few days ago. Tonight the buds have retracted and the green is sitting inside awaiting some warmth. As of 11 am I was washing and the water was refeezing in the shady areas. I usually look at April 1st as the start of the full time wash season. This year the tanker sits inside so it doesn't freeze overnight.

Dug out a Ash tree trunk 15" diameter this Sunday... Zero frost 25" down and the ground is very dry too. We need the wet season to kick in soon or we might be under drought conditions again.

I am no tree expert I just know there seem to be many stages of budding...and the only buds I have seen are the very early red ones on maple trees which eventually fall to the ground (that has not happened yet) before the spring buds take over. I pretty much eyeball things like when the grass gets that "spring green" (not even close yet), when the flower shoots start to come out of the ground (those seem to be behind normal) and when the horsechestnut trees pop their leaves (they seem to be the first trees to do so, but their budding process seems to last like 2 days so theres very little early warning, and of course they look the same now as they do in mid-winter). i also use the magnolias as a guide.

Last year was about 4 weeks early. This year its too early for me to tell, but Im sure things will be at least 1 week behind schedule. We have had below normal temps, an abundance of cloudiness (until the last few days, but the clear skies have caused very unseaonably cold April nights), and abnormal dryness...we will see, I just dont think it will be right on cue. Id say probably look to 2011, which was also seemingly about 1 week later than normal.

Buds on the Maple trees here were poppin out all green a few days ago. Tonight the buds have retracted and the green is sitting inside awaiting some warmth. As of 11 am I was washing and the water was refeezing in the shady areas. I usually look at April 1st as the start of the full time wash season. This year the tanker sits inside so it doesn't freeze overnight.

Dug out a Ash tree trunk 15" diameter this Sunday... Zero frost 25" down and the ground is very dry too. We need the wet season to kick in soon or we might be under drought conditions again.

I can say with 100% certainty I have seen NOTHING green lol.

I have a few isolated spots on my lawn that are beginning to green, but that's about it in terms of new growth. Winter buds are quite visible on my 3 types of Maples and Birch trees.

Cooled off to 25° now.

I can say with 100% certainty I have seen NOTHING green lol.

My lawn is actually turning a lighter shade of Brown.... Probably the dead grass is drying out.... Other than that, not much change. My parents lawn is greening a tad, they have really thin grass cover though.

What is this!

ecmwfNA_850_temp_168.gif

MSU says that last year at this time, southeast Michigan apples were beginning to flower. 

Perhaps it's time we started considering 1812 and 1816 as possible spring/summer analogs? 1812 apparantly had a very "backward" spring with snow into May according to David Ludlum. That couldn't have been connected to Tambora by the way given the volcano didn't erupt until 1815.

Perhaps it's time we started considering 1812 and 1816 as possible spring/summer analogs? 1812 apparantly had a very "backward" spring with snow into May according to David Ludlum. That couldn't have been connected to Tambora by the way given the volcano didn't erupt until 1815.

Lol

My lawn is actually turning a lighter shade of Brown.... Probably the dead grass is drying out.... Other than that, not much change. My parents lawn is greening a tad, they have really thin grass cover though.

The daffodils are popping up here despite no warmth.  Actually saw them already 3 weeks ago coming out through the snow.  A lot of the lawns here still have the moldy matted down look from sitting under a glacier of snow for so long though.  Only a small hint of green if you rake away the dead crap.

Archived