BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
April 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year was about 4 weeks early. This year its too early for me to tell, but Im sure things will be at least 1 week behind schedule. We have had below normal temps, an abundance of cloudiness (until the last few days, but the clear skies have caused very unseaonably cold April nights), and abnormal dryness...we will see, I just dont think it will be right on cue. Id say probably look to 2011, which was also seemingly about 1 week later than normal.

2011 was slightly behind in April but jumped to being slightly ahead in May.  I think I'd almost prefer we get the cold crap out of the way now if it means a pattern shift by late April or early May.  Cool suppressed May's are annoying because you're missing out on a prime severe month.  A cruel snowstorm or freezing rain in April I can take.  Normal people will b**ch like crazy but to me at least it's weather.  By May I have absolutely no interest in a cool pattern since that means zzzzzz.... weatherwise.

Was 23° here this morning. Still have a couple small snow piles out front, which should be history tomorrow.

Yeah, no thanks to a cool pattern in May!

Edit: Looks wet for Chicagoland at least for the next 2 weeks - starting about Monday.

Here is a crop progress report from MSU...

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/southwest_michigan_fruit_regional_report_april_2_2013

Some swelling of various buds, but not much happening yet.

Sun angle is the ONLY sign of Spring I can find. Oh, and some skunk roadkill I've seen that mysteriously disappear by morning.

Mostly sunny and 14" of snow.

Quite a big change from the GFS for early next week.  It has been showing 40s for days, but the new 12z shifts the baroclinic zone well north and now has 60s up to southern MN/WI.  Mild and wet is just what the doctor ordered, but with such wild model swings who knows what we'll get.

Quite a big change from the GFS for early next week.  It has been showing 40s for days, but the new 12z shifts the baroclinic zone well north and now has 60s up to southern MN/WI.  Mild and wet is just what the doctor ordered, but with such wild model swings who knows what we'll get.

pattern/seasonal change FTW...should be an interesting couple weeks

The local mets and nws had today's high temp in the 49-52 range, but we came up short.  After an initial quick jump off the morning low the temp only slowly rose this afternoon, getting stuck at around 44.  The mid-level air is still pretty cold and the models have been forecasting today to only reach the mid 40s so I'm not sure why the locals were so bullish.

Hit 49 here but with light winds it felt warmer.

It's sort of weird looking outside and seeing how bright it is with the high sun angle, and yet nothing green.  Trees are budded here, but I've seen them this budded in late Feb before.

Was thinking the exact same thing a little while ago! Where the ground is moist, the grass is a bit greener.

High of 33 today with full sun.  Not much melting happened today except on some south facing hills I noticed.

Took this coming home.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Wow, you still have an iced over driveway! I've never had that in April before during the daylight hours.

Nice having it light until 7:30pm now.

Was thinking the exact same thing a little while ago! Where the ground is moist, the grass is a bit greener.

Wow, you still have an iced over driveway! I've never had that in April before during the daylight hours.

Nice having it light until 7:30pm now.

It's a dirt drive (for now) and last week it had melted completely but the 8" of I got a few days ago, I didn't blow or shovel so it's been slow to melt and we haven't been much above freezing either.... plus it faces nne... It can melt anytime too!! :P

Mud season here...  Went hiking; and what was all snow/ice covered still this past weekend, there is nothing..not one spec of snow or ice left on the trail, just pure mud/slop...  really messy hike.  The woods here are almost completely snow free now.  I just saw a little snow left on top of the bluff.  Nothing green to be seen.

My first plants to show green are usually the lilacs..they seem to pop fast. 

We'll go green fast if next week can keep us in the 50Fs for a few days.

Neighbor acorss the street always shovels snow into a big pile near his porch (100% shaded) and looks like the last of it will be gone tomorrow. As much as I love the gray skies in late Fall and throughout winter, Im a sucker for a blue sky day at times. Very bright but chilly today

3531-800.jpg

3532-800.jpg

3533-800.jpg

I've seen this area before, just can't put my finger on it. Looks like Taylor.

blah

• SaturdayA chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 52. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Saturday NightA chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
  • SundayA chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58.
  • Sunday NightA chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39.
  • MondayA chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 52.
  • Monday NightA chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.
  • TuesdayA chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50.
  • Tuesday NightA chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39.
  • WednesdayA chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 59.

Archived