• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
The Lion's end to March banter and discussion, part deux!

Typhoon Tip

0z GEFS is northwest of the op with the precip

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/00zgfsensemblep12048.gif

It shows a 984 low

Also...again just rough stuff there's no sense in really detailing...note the 60h 0z vs 72h 12z.  That's like a 400+ mile shift in the .25 line.  Crude, but it's really telling.  GGEM did the same.

Models are playing catchup.  Watch later runs tonight for changes very early that involve the old ULL being ever so slightly further NE. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also...again just rough stuff there's no sense in really detailing...note the 60h 0z vs 72h 12z.  That's like a 400+ mile shift in the .25 line.  Crude, but it's really telling.  GGEM did the same.

Models are playing catchup.  Watch later runs tonight for changes very early that involve the old ULL being ever so slightly further NE. 

Sharp gradient on the GEFS

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/00zgfsensemblep72072.gif

Also note on the GEFS.  One of the things I've noticed this year when the model is going to tick north still...there was a huge QPF streak off the Carolinas last run.  Precip was more limited north of NJ.  This run it cut that streak down considerably.  Precip further north.  I think a lot of the GFS issue/gefs issue this winter has had to do with convection right on the crossing point between land/sea.  Model blows after the point in which that stuff fires.

Yep but big change from the 12z.  I'm excluding the off hour GFS.  It just seems to me lately there's a definitive stinkage factor with those runs.

Note SW CT was around .1 last run, now .25+ with .5 near.  Same near the Cape.  All good things.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/12zgfsensemblep72072.gif

Yep but big change from the 12z.  I'm excluding the off hour GFS.  It just seems to me lately there's a definitive stinkage factor with those runs.

Note SW CT was around .1 last run, now .25+ with .5 near.  Same near the Cape.  All good things.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/12zgfsensemblep72072.gif

Wow, that's a big bump north from 12z.

Pre Euro thinking 2-4 or 3-6 potentially around the canal.  Would re-evaluate that if the Euro hadn't come north.  May not be awake for that though!

The key is getting heavy enough snow, 'cause we need it to be snowing at a pretty good rate for accumulation this time of year.

Yeah better I should have said .2 to .4 or .3 to .5ish on the qpf. Haven't even looked at temps so scratch the earlier comment re snow

If you get a strong band of snow it'll have no trouble accumulating... I'm just not sure the rates will be heavy enough. 

to illustrate Rollo's point:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/mdd/mddoutput/

check out GFS 6z -> 12z -> 18z -> 0z at h5

very clear and consistent NE shifts in ULL

add to that GEFS, NAM, GGEM, NOGAPs, all shifted northwest in SLP track since 12z

Normally when this happens it takes the models 2-3 cycles to finally catch up to the extent of what's an unexpected change. That's why I think there may be more room left.

If I had to put a precip figure out there it'd be the .25 or .30 range for the canal pre euro. If the euro comes NW and are still se of the euro ens...I think it's game on.

For whatever reason models seem to have overestimated blocking most of this pattern. This time with it so intense the fall back is probably smaller and later?

Normally when this happens it takes the models 2-3 cycles to finally catch up to the extent of what's an unexpected change. That's why I think there may be more room left.

If I had to put a precip figure out there it'd be the .25 or .30 range for the canal pre euro. If the euro comes NW and are still se of the euro ens...I think it's game on.

For whatever reason models seem to have overestimated blocking most of this pattern. This time with it so intense the fall back is probably smaller and later?

Agree... I commented Thurs or Fri that similar block-is-too-strong comments were made before the blizzard, only that was 120-144 hours before, not < 72 hours before... the trend is pretty clear for more favorable block position on almost all the guidance tonight... question is how much room do we have to shift at this point

Also, we frequently see systems trend more amped / NW within 24 hours... hoping that plays out as well and things become more interesting, at least for south coast.

Crazy tight gradient on hi-res NAM:

Agree... I commented Thurs or Fri that similar block-is-too-strong comments were made before the blizzard, only that was 120-144 hours before, not < 72 hours before... the trend is pretty clear for more favorable block position on almost all the guidance tonight... question is how much room do we have to shift at this point

Also, we frequently see systems trend more amped / NW within 24 hours... hoping that plays out as well and things become more interesting, at least for south coast.

Crazy tight gradient on hi-res NAM:

ptot60.gif

Need to see the euro get the .2 ashore

Nothing has changed other than to create more blue balls. SW CT under the gun for several inches..possibly CC too. Sharp cutoff to the north.

I could see S CT getting RASN while Long Island actually flips to snow closer to the better forcing. I think anything more than an inch or so is going to be tough to come by unless a big shift north. 

I could see S CT getting RASN while Long Island actually flips to snow closer to the better forcing. I think anything more than an inch or so is going to be tough to come by unless a big shift north. 

Yeah I guess. Just seems like the nrn band may clip extreme SW areas. That's one hell of a comma head too for NJ. In any case, a miss for most.

Yeah I guess. Just seems like the nrn band may clip extreme SW areas. That's one hell of a comma head too for NJ. In any case, a miss for most.

ASOUT. 

Yeah it could be a really fun storm for S NJ if they're able to flip early enough.... wild for so late in the year.

Archived