• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
The Lion's end to March banter and discussion, part deux!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup deep winter till then and then, then the corner is turned

Eh, it's turned.....but this isn't a Spring pattern at all except for a few days that tickle normal. We'll warm up towards Easter, than a cold shot...hell might even be accompanied by thunder if the euro op is right as this cold front is strong.

Congrats to you eastern and southeastern areas--it was a long time coming!

Congrats to almost everyone on an oustanding year--everyone except for Chris, Mitch, Rick, Mike (PL), me and a few others.

Agreed...this was a big coastal plain winter. The further west you are, the less successful this season was. I am at 56" for the season, which is below my average of around 75". I don't think I've ever seen a winter with as strange a snowfall distribution as this one where places like BDR and BOS have more than PSF. Barring a 10/29/11 repeat or something along those lines in April, this was a D+ winter IMBY. I think I gave last winter about a C/C-, but I probably would've flunked it if it weren't for Snowtober. I'm already looking forward to next year...optimism reigns eternally.  :snowing:

Agreed...this was a big coastal plain winter. The further west you are, the less successful this season was. I am at 56" for the season, which is below my average of around 75". I don't think I've ever seen a winter with as strange a snowfall distribution as this one where places like BDR and BOS have more than PSF. Barring a 10/29/11 repeat or something along those lines in April, this was a D+ winter IMBY. I think I gave last winter about a C/C-, but I probably would've flunked it if it weren't for Snowtober. I'm already looking forward to next year...optimism reigns eternally.  :snowing:

Your area definitely received my golden screwjie award which I held until early Feb. Quite a weird winter where your area into srn VT seemingly didn't do all that well compared to areas east.

B grade here ..maybe B- if I don't get another 6" or so to push into the mid 70"s.   Probably C at best right around Albany.

Wintry appeal here with a dusting from -SN that pushed through. I'm about to do my snow shoeing loop. The woods have plenty yet  the but fields part of my route is getting thinner.

It was a B grade winter N of the Pike and W of ORH Co. regardless of your elevation. Not bad just not epic.

ALB is at 50".  Sucker hole in season snowfall this year from about DC north northeast across eastern PA, areas northwest of NYC in southern NY and then up over ENY and far WNE.Basically being in the col between primary lows and coastal redevelopment.

I'm at 67" mainly because of the lake effect additions..... giving me more than ALB overall.

Your area definitely received my golden screwjie award which I held until early Feb. Quite a weird winter where your area into srn VT seemingly didn't do all that well compared to areas east.

The 11/7 storm seem to set the tone for the whole winter where SW CT on up toward Kevin and Will got smoked and I got fringed. BOS didn't do well until February, but starting with the blizzard you guys have had an epic stretch. A lot of winters have their own screwjie and jackpot zones. We'll see what happens next year.

Wintry appeal here with a dusting from -SN that pushed through. I'm about to do my snow shoeing loop. The woods have plenty yet  the but fields part of my route is getting thinner.

There's still some glaciated pack in the woods underneath the soft stuff from last week, but it's generally not more than 4-6" total, except where some drifting occurred. A lot of exposed areas are bare ground now.

ALB is at 50".  Sucker hole in season snowfall this year from about DC north northeast across eastern PA, areas northwest of NYC in southern NY and then up over ENY and far WNE.Basically being in the col between primary lows and coastal redevelopment.

I'm at 67" mainly because of the lake effect additions..... giving me more than ALB overall.

I think ALB is around 58" for their seasonal average, so 50" isn't all that bad for them. As such, I'd agree with the C grade for them. I've not had a double digit snowfall this season, which is highly unusual. I had 8" from the blizzard and 8.5" from the Fujiwara storm earlier this month.

I had 65" last year (38.5" for DJFM). If I can get another advisory level event to get me to 60" for this year I'll bump it to a C/C- . An average 75" winter would typically be a B- or so. 2010-2011 was an A- with about 110", but I wasn't overly meticulous about measuring that year, so I don't know exactly what it was.

Some spots in central NH stayed well below their normal snowfall, too, winding up on the fringes of both the big SNE dumps and the smaller but more frequent snowfalls to their north.  Maine foothills/mts are about normal for snowfall, but having temps for Dec/Jan/Feb (and probably Mar) all above the norm meant mediocre snowpack, which is not good for their economy.

As of now, my winter grade is C-, at best  Snowfall is 2" above my season avg, and it's unclear if I'll add more than trace/coatings to that.  Barring some unexpected wintriness, snow depth days will finish at 60-70% of my 15-yr avg.  The "could have beens" for this winter were enormous, which biases me against a higher grade.  MBY has had WSWs for snowfall 7 times this season, and only 3 verified, with none overperforming the forecast.  (I compare results to my zone's GYX forecast closest, but prior, to the onset of precip.)  The mild temps earn a D, the snowfall C or C-, but since I weight snow above temp, C- may be where it lands.  Three yr 09-10 thru 11-12 were F+/C+/D, probably still regressing from 3 straight A/B yr, 06-07 thru 08-09.

A+ for snowfall, C+ for snowpack build-up with lots of rain and warm temps following snowfalls. 2010-2011 was much better for building up a deep snowpack.

Yup, in 2011 I had full snowcover from January 8th to March 8th (I think), whereas this year my longest stretch of full snowcover was from the blizzard to the beginning of March.

Me and my girlfriend were talking last night and we are going to start looking for a house in the blandford area I cant wait to get out of the dreaded valley for next winter!!  :snowing:  :lmao:

whatever u do, don't buy ALONG or right near the RIVER in russell (town that borders blandford to east)  just check the elevation where u buy! there's areas in russell around 400' (awful) . Sell it to the Girlfirend (if u need to) that lower elevations will flood and damage stuff much more often. lots of blandford appears to be over 800' some around 1500'

It was a B grade winter N of the Pike and W of ORH Co. regardless of your elevation. Not bad just not epic.

That sounds about right.

I give it a C+ here in the lower valley. Snowfall here roughly about normal. Nothing to write home about in other words.

For me the 2 footer alone pushes it a little higher, but certainly plenty of disappointment to go alongside.

Me and my girlfriend were talking last night and we are going to start looking for a house in the blandford area I cant wait to get out of the dreaded valley for next winter!!  :snowing:  :lmao:

I envy you sir.

One other note, the skating was below average.  Took a while to freeze up safely, with snow on top beforehand causing rutty white ice.   January hard freeze made it good briefly, but with nuisance snows to keep us shoveling and no great resurfacings until the blizzard.

I would give it a B- overall. sure, snowfall (93” ytd) was about 133% of normal (~65”). but for me it was the rain events and warmups in between snow events that prevent this season from getting a higher grade. Snowpack never really exceeded 18-20”, which helps keep the grade down. 

I'd give winter a C+ in my back yard.  I think the winter weather was one nice mid january snowstorm away from being a B+.  The snowdrifts after the blizzard were really cool to see, looking back now I should have given into the temptation to dive right into the snow after shoveling.

I'd give winter a B+ for the ski and snowboard season.  Cold late november temps for snowmaking, a big snowstorm on December 26, followed by a seasonably cold but unfortunately dry January (last two weeks of Jan and first few days of February were the low point of the season for me), and of course an awesome February and March made for an above average winter of riding for me.

I hesitated to give the winter a grade becuase I'm really hoping we get one more 4-6+" snowfall, if not in my back yard than in the white mountains of New Hampshire.

Just added this site to my favorites - thanks.  Only one site in Maine, about 50 miles SW of my place, but it clearly tells the tale of NNE's weird 2002-03 season, with below avg snowfall but SDDs 2nd only to 2000-01.  02-03 was my coldest winter and had the longest lasting 1"+ (146 days, 4 more than 07-08.)  It featured significant snowstorms in mid-Nov and early April to bookend the snowcover.

I'm surprised at how low Poland Spring's SDDs are for 07-08, compared to my number and especially in contrast to 00-01.

Season...........00-01.....07-08

P Spg...SDD....2,358....1,729

.....Snowfall.....111.1"...123.6"

MBY......SDD....2,790....3,799

.....Snowfall.....137.1"...142.3"

Archived