• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
The Lion's end to March banter and discussion, part deux!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a EF 3/4 and the other derechos we have had were not insignificant compared to the MW, but yeah we do not get the summer weather they do, then again they have no idea what it's like to be on the ocean in a 48 hour noreaster.

Absolutely, cuts both ways. They would be completely paralyzed by the amounts of snow we can receive in a 24 hour period. I had a couple big winter storms while I was out there, but even then the moisture source is so limited compared to the Atlantic that the biggest storms can really only squeeze out 10-20".

And not to say we haven't had significant events here, but they are so rare and true severe conditions are usually so local that our population on the whole hasn't experienced what we define severe storms as. In the Midwest, Plains, etc., severe storms are just statistically more likely on any given day, making it more likely that a given population center would experience those conditions. In the years I lived in Davenport, IA, I experienced a severe storm 5-6 times a warm season. My entire childhood in Barrington, RI, maybe that many times in twenty some odd years. Maybe.

Hell I even went out there last summer for 5 days and got smacked by a nice little 65 mph bow echo. Of course climatologically speaking Iowa is primed for those mid summer wind producers.

I'll probably go out there in a few years for a week or so. Sure a tornado would be awesome, but a real MCS ripping through OKC at 1am would probably be like no other.

One of the more noticeable differences in convection between our regions is lightning. It can legitimately be like a strobe light at times. But that makes sense with stronger updrafts out there given more favorable conditions for development.

Absolutely, cuts both ways. They would be completely paralyzed by the amounts of snow we can receive in a 24 hour period. I had a couple big winter storms while I was out there, but even then the moisture source is so limited compared to the Atlantic that the biggest storms can really only squeeze out 10-20".

And not to say we haven't had significant events here, but they are so rare and true severe conditions are usually so local that our population on the whole hasn't experienced what we define severe storms as. In the Midwest, Plains, etc., severe storms are just statistically more likely on any given day, making it more likely that a given population center would experience those conditions. In the years I lived in Davenport, IA, I experienced a severe storm 5-6 times a warm season. My entire childhood in Barrington, RI, maybe that many times in twenty some odd years. Maybe.

Hell I even went out there last summer for 5 days and got smacked by a nice little 65 mph bow echo. Of course climatologically speaking Iowa is primed for those mid summer wind producers.

well Gray does better than Barrington lol growing up in Westerly I knew the marine air pain but as you know the payoff was the natural air conditioning.

all i know is the colors of the sky i observed on june 1st 2011 and the sound of the low constant rumbling thunder, the mammatus and the pitch black sky at 4pm while i was hiding in the basement were unlike anything i have seen in the thirty some odd years i have been old enough to observe weather. i will never forget the humidity and stronger than normal southerly wind that morning when i was walking the dogs, there was something just different about the air even early that morning.

even the third round of svr that evening when the cold front came through, the cg lightning and small hail and wind gusts to 40mph or so would put most of the other tstorms i witnessed to the test

the only other day i saw wild colors in the sky and had that same eerie feeling and sound with the svr wx was back in Brsitol ct in july of 89.

your telling me except I was watching the tornado from the 91/291 on-ramp after it was far enough away..  :lmao:

all i know is the colors of the sky i observed on june 1st 2011 and the sound of the low constant rumbling thunder, the mammatus and the pitch black sky at 4pm while i was hiding in the basement were unlike anything i have seen in the thirty some odd years i have been old enough to observe weather. i will never forget the humidity and stronger than normal southerly wind that morning when i was walking the dogs, there was something just different about the air even early that morning.

even the third round of svr that evening when the cold front came through, the cg lightning and small hail and wind gusts to 40mph or so would put most of the other tstorms i witnessed to the test

the only other day i saw wild colors in the sky and had that same eerie feeling and sound with the svr wx was back in Brsitol ct in july of 89.

right - it can happen.  Rarely, but it can happen.  There was also an EML running over the top of that llv conditional instability, and that's really the point - that happens out in the MW like ...daily or something from April to June.  We get that once a year if lucky, and when it happens, there are other nuances to overcome ...like the bad timing ocean influence and whatever.   

Just judging by radar alone, it looks like Riverhead Long Island is about the pivot point... Everything west of there is already pulling away from the NJ coast associated with secondary - some sheared out ULL stuff probably flits through on rad over night...  East of Riverhead may pivot up over the Cape for bit later on...  

Archived