• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
The Lion's end to March banter and discussion, part deux!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is one thing I like about winter storms... life slows down in some ways. Allows me to take the foot off the accelerator for a bit

absolutely Dave, still mid winter fun to be had for us skiers then spring skiing for a while. I need warm temps for our team but that's on hold.

If someone could guarantee us 70, s or higher from April 1 on I think all of us would sign up instead of those wretched 55 degree days dewpoints in the single digits , winds blowing everyday to 35 mph and brushfires roaring in thru the woods and fields. Lets just get thru the spring misery to summer

yeah, keep me between 70-80 with low humidity and I'm good to go.. till October.

Well, I for one do keep up with this AmWx thing even during the doldrums of late June/July. Not much happens other than the occasional mild convective threat. I know a lot of members go on hiatus after April 15 or so.

We were "lucky" (not really the correct term) to have the 6/1 even a couple of years ago...an occasional hailer.  And the crazy temp situation is interesting in its own way...

I'll tell you something interesting about convection... you get sort of desensitized to the "type" of drama your local thunderstorm climatology suggests you get most often.  

For example, though we have had an EF3 or 4, hell ... 1953 was an arguable 5, ever so rarely, most of the time our severe days a middling compared to most other places save the West Coast.  Heck, even a drecho rolling through Chi town can have sky looking like something out of War Of The Worlds.   So the weather consumer in SNE gets used to a certain type of convection and don't really know.    

If you took the average weather enthusiast, or even Meteorologist, out of day-in-day-out New England, and stick them out in eastern Oklahoma on April 21st, when there is a SSE wind gusting to 32Kt, it's 88/71, and there is -3SD 700mb level cold tongue punching into the western part of the state from the WNW, odds are ...said participant will be running to find an outhouse at the sight of the sky later in the day.   But the hardened mid westerners, I've seen them coming in and out of Arby's Roast Beef stores in an ambling blithe on videos while that is going on above them before.  

That's the difference in large part.  If we got convection of that ilk around here, the weather contributors might tune in a bit more during the warmer months.  

I'm kind of a nerd the other way though - I'm really fascinated by hot spells/heat waves.  Do you know that heat related deaths rank the top of the list of other killers of weather over the last 100 years?   Why it is not recognized as one of the majors (blizzard, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes) is beyond me.     

I'll tell you something interesting about convection... you get sort of desensitized to the "type" of drama your local thunderstorm climatology suggests you get most often.  

For example, though we have had an EF3 or 4, hell ... 1953 was an arguable 5, ever so rarely, most of the time our severe days a middling compared to most other places save the West Coast.  Heck, even a drecho rolling through Chi town can have sky looking like something out of War Of The Worlds.   So the weather consumer in SNE gets used to a certain type of convection and don't really know.    

If you took the average weather enthusiast, or even Meteorologist, out of day-in-day-out New England, and stick them out in eastern Oklahoma on April 21st, when there is a SSE wind gusting to 32Kt, it's 88/71, and there is -3SD 700mb level cold tongue punching into the western part of the state from the WNW, odds are ...said participant will be running to find an outhouse at the sight of the sky later in the day.   But the hardened mid westerners, I've seen them coming in and out of Arby's Roast Beef stores in an ambling blithe on videos while that is going on above them before.  

That's the difference in large part.  If we got convection of that ilk around here, the weather contributors might tune in a bit more during the warmer months.  

I'm kind of a nerd the other way though - I'm really fascinated by hot spells/heat waves.  Do you know that heat related deaths rank the top of the list of other killers of weather over the last 100 years?   Why it is not recognized as one of the majors (blizzard, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes) is beyond me.     

Awesome!!

Spring is pretty much a complete sh**show from your area down to E MA...its understandable (at least to me) why some would prefer to hang onto the last vestiges of winter rather than experience one of our typical springs.

Yes, Not saying its my favorite season but one that we have to get thru it to get to summer, Last year certainly was not your typical spring, This one looks to be more in line with more typical years, Just have to make the best of it for better or for worse, Plenty of things to do that was put off over the winter

To Will's point, we may have turned the corner but it's not going to get "balmy", either.   Snow not out of the question, but it is more like a bumpy ride out of the cellar this time.

I mentioned the teleconnectors from the overnight ... particularly the EPO is now robustly negative from all available computing agencies, and the operational runs across the board are picking up on a cold dump into Canada that is directly resulting in having heights surge from the Pac, punching into the NW Territories of eastern Alaska/NW Canada.  

The 12z Euro and GFS are not as committed with that cold air mass getting down in to the U.S. as the 00z, but so long as we are loading that kind of cold mass into the Canadian shield and over a snow pack, it will modify more than say mid January, but it will also be potent enough to keep our anomalies closer to neutral-negative ...perhaps more if we time a bowling ball right.   

Archived