• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
The Lion's end to March banter and discussion, part deux!

Typhoon Tip

What to look forward to:

Back door season

Cold pool season

Spring cutoffs

I love 2 seasons, winter and summer. I dislike the others although a spring mild day while rare insome springs is spectacular.

Autumns okay for me.   Tropics lend to that.   For years I have often wondered if the tropics and poles could ever swap spit, and finally, last year they did with Sandy.  Remember, some elevations eastern cordillera had feet of snow where that tropical moisture was converting along that interface.   

Point is, there's at least excitement in the Fall.   Then, you always have the back ground chance that it's snowing by mid November.  

Spring can be a huge bore by comparison, in SNE.   

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to April - it's already here.   My last opine says it all.  Unless you have a pretty excessive anomaly, we start planning for next year if winter is your thing.   Frankly, I'm looking forward to turning the soil in my garden this week.   The last of the snow is about 15 minutes from disappearing, and the higher sun angle should have the bed pretty thawed out and ready by the weekend.  

Deep winter still here. I'm not embracing April until the weather turns nice and snow threats are out of the question and unsupported by the pattern.

Oh Lord here he goes

You know what you remind me of at times ... the bureaucracies of literature and history, that have tried to squelch creativity because it happened to suggest a truth that went against the conventional thinking/desires of the times. 

5-10" for Fairfield?

No:( Great winter though, as the last days of winter slip away its human nature to try and hold on and believe, but that ship sailed yesterday, although Steve's call for 3-6 today did give me renewed hope.

I think its cool that we all love different aspects of weather, the world would be so very boring if we all liked the same thing, one of the awesome things about New England are the 4 very separate distinct seasons.

All kidding aside, I never have understood the open hostility to warmth and people that like it on this board, perhaps because it is such a tiny percentage of the population that actually loves snow and cold.  Somehow its built in to be defensive.

After this winter, no reason to complain or b**ch, man tons and tons of snow and very tolerable temperatures outside the one brief arctic push in later January.

Deep winter still here. I'm not embracing April until the weather turns nice and snow threats are out of the question and unsupported by the pattern.

The pattern would support deeper winter, but the results will not be representative of "deep winter" without substantially more impressive anomalies.   That's what folks need to get their heads around.

Look, we can have our druthers - we all do.  But when those druthers effect one's perception on things; it's one the aspects that is off-putting about this forum,  where it becomes a bastion for those operating in fantasies.

Not saying that's you.    On the flip side, heh, there won't be anything worthy of starting a new thread over until convection gets going, being the other alternative, I guess it can't hurt to fantasize a little.  Ha

Not a worse time of year than the next 2 months. Just pure misery. Unless we can go right into summer like last year in Morch, most folks would rather spring not be a season

:weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:

I love Mid-April - Mid-May it's better for outdoor activities than 100F temps with 100% humidity in July-August. Misery for me is scorching hot temps and high humidity. You can't hop scotch over seasons, trust me plenty of people HATE winter, this board is not the normal representation for that season. Most folks around here are tired of snow/winter.

Another non event here with overcast skies and 38F.

All kidding aside, I never have understood the open hostility to warmth and people that like it on this board, perhaps because it is such a tiny percentage of the population that actually loves snow and cold.  Somehow its built in to be defensive.

After this winter, no reason to complain or b**ch, man tons and tons of snow and very tolerable temperatures outside the one brief arctic push in later January.

Some just hate to let go, The reality is the days are longer, Sun angle is higher (Though folks hate that term) and daytime temps are well above freezing, It was a good winter here to, Not one of my highest ranked ones but well above avg snow fall

With Fella on this.

Productivity / work / real life always take a hit with winter storms... it's been a phenomenal homestretch this year, but barring a 4/97, I'm ready to get back to things that have been put on pause.

I usually stay "off the grid" here at AmWx through Nov, unless a freak F3 or hurricane potential impacts us. 

Meh... I am not hostile towards anyone on here (I don't think). People can like what they like.

I do prefer cooler vs warmer. If it is going to be "hot", like 90s, high dews, I would prefer to be in a pool, or at least in the shade. I just don't like it. But to each their own. I don't like working at home or at work when it is hot. Never did, and I have had outdoor physical jobs.

I am not much of a gardner and am not a big fan of doing lawn work (mowing, etc) but I understand if it is your thing (or in your case, your career/business).

I can also understand the 75%+ of the general population who does not like snow other than for a week around Christmas.

The pattern would support deeper winter, but the results will not be representative of "deep winter" without substantially more impressive anomalies.   That's what folks need to get their heads around.

Look, we can have ou druthers - we all do.  But when those druthers effect one's perception on things; it's one the aspects that is off-putting about this forum,  where it becomes a bastion for those operating in fantasies.

Not saying that's you.    On the flip side, heh, there won't be anything worthy of starting a new thread over until convection gets going, being the other alternative, I guess it can't hurt to fantasize a little.  Ha

I was commenting on how it looked outside...we still have like 10" of glacial snow pack and its not really ready to go anywhere with 37F temps and overcast skies.

Given the elevation of my area, I will always be on the look out for snow events well into the first week or two of April...in fact, I almost expect it if we have a negative anomaly at H5 near or over the region and below average mid-level temps to tap into. Doesn't guarantee anything of course...except that we won't be north of 50F or at most 55F in these parts

I use complain about that a lot more than I do now.   The reasons for what you are observing is because though this is the American "Weather" Forum, at least for how that applies to New England sub-forum, 90% of the poster who contribute here are utterly preoccupied by winter affairs.   

I have heard it said that since winter is our greatest story book up here, that is why ... but I don't buy that really.  I think the truth is there IS a bit of an unhealthy obsession with snow and sleet and whatever, where the "weather" in the title is being abused in lieu of having accumulated those who engage in that detriment - to put it nicely.

It is what is...  The people are good and fun to be around, most of the time, so you take it all with a grain of salt -- 

With Fella on this.

Productivity / work / real life always take a hit with winter storms... it's been a phenomenal homestretch this year, but barring a 4/97, I'm ready to get back to things that have been put on pause.

I usually stay "off the grid" here at AmWx through Nov, unless a freak F3 or hurricane potential impacts us. 

That is one thing I like about winter storms... life slows down in some ways.  Allows me to take the foot off the accelerator for a bit

Some just hate to let go, The reality is the days are longer, Sun angle is higher (Though folks hate that term) and daytime temps are well above freezing, It was a good winter here to, Not one of my highest ranked ones but well above avg snow fall

Spring is pretty much a complete sh**show from your area down to E MA...its understandable (at least to me) why some would prefer to hang onto the last vestiges of winter rather than experience one of our typical springs.

I use complain about that a lot more than I do now.   The reasons for what you are observing is because those this is the American "Weather" Forum, at least for how that applies to New England sub-forum, 90% of the poster who contribute here are utterly preoccupied by winter affairs.   

I have heard it said that since winter is our greatest story book up here, that is why ... but I don't buy that really.  I think the truth is there IS a bit of an unhealthy obsession with snow and sleet and whatever, where the "weather" in the title is being abused in lieu of having accumulated those who engage in that detriment - to put it nicely.

It is what is...  The people of good and fun to be around, most of the time, so you take it all with a grain of salt -- 

Well, I for one do keep up with this AmWx thing even during the doldrums of late June/July. Not much happens other than the occasional mild convective threat. I know a lot of members go on hiatus after April 15 or so.

We were "lucky" (not really the correct term) to have the 6/1 even a couple of years ago...an occasional hailer.  And the crazy temp situation is interesting in its own way...

With Fella on this.

That said, have yet to meet anyone from here except Jerry in person lol... always down for a g2g, esp in Boston area.

Jerry it wasn't a Norlun that it missed by 300 miles. That was a storm it forecast to miss south at 0z while the cape had heavy snow an hour later.

One of Phil's 4" events it had moving off of DC a day prior. It did do well with this one and clearly came around later in this pattern.

The gfs was probably useful in sniffing out threats that the euro pegged as misses for the very same reason it overdid every event. The knobs are turned too much and it blows everything up more than it should. The euro meanwhile plods along sometimes taking until 48-60 hours to come around but rarely missing then.

I'm sure it's a deal where the ec people figured out the statistics are better the way it is versus the gfs which may identify threats early but never quite get the details right

I was commenting on how it looked outside...we still have like 10" of glacial snow pack and its not really ready to go anywhere with 37F temps and overcast skies.

Given the elevation of my area, I will always be on the look out for snow events well into the first week or two of April...in fact, I almost expect it if we have a negative anomaly at H5 near or over the region and below average mid-level temps to tap into. Doesn't guarantee anything of course...except that we won't be north of 50F or at most 55F in these parts

Yeah I was up at Pyramids early Sunday for Disk Golf, and that's literally ...right next door, as in watch the airplanes take off and land, to the airport.  Full snow pack up there, even in the open areas.  About 7" in the woods, and 5 in the open.  Blue bird blue skies felt nice, but the snow was that kind of snow that is extremely resistant to melting.  It was white corn snow.  

The NAM shows an explosive 6C temperature jump between 48 and 54 hours, with 850mb temps only -5C...  That's probably a thin layer approaching the super adiabatic state/expanding lowest level thickness.  Probably be a right at the deck 200-foot deep layer of 53-55F warmth on that day, speak of the devil.  Winds will be light, NW, down sloping, with no clouds - trust me, this is MOS bust cold time of the year.   Since the majority of the population doesn't live at Pyramids and the air port - I'd say that day has a shot at feeling real springy out!  And I cannot see any reason why the NAM would be wrong with the parametrics for that day.  We'll see ...

Archived