• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
The Lion's end to March banter and discussion, part deux!

Typhoon Tip

I can understand how some are excited...a lot of people love the 51F weather after being 35F for a while...I think its repulsive though. I guess it helps keep my car warmer. Give me 65F+ or keep me in winter mode.

Personal preferences. With still great snow pack and a chance for a couple more events where I am, I will treat this period like it is still winter. If you are in the CT Valley or down in Bridgeport, CT...then I understand trying to get mud season overwith as quickly as possible.

Did you ski Wachusett Friday?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand how some are excited...a lot of people love the 51F weather after being 35F for a while...I think its repulsive though. I guess it helps keep my car warmer. Give me 65F+ or keep me in winter mode.

Personal preferences. With still great snow pack and a chance for a couple more events where I am, I will treat this period like it is still winter. If you are in the CT Valley or down in Bridgeport, CT...then I understand trying to get mud season overwith as quickly as possible.

Spring is just different here in CT than E Mass. And yes... totally buy how the winter lovers are still hanging on in ORH or the Litchfield Hills in CT. Down here it's pretty much curtains if we can't swing something next week. 

That said... I am planning a trip to Killington next week... so I wouldn't mind more snow up there!!

I'll wear shorts in 50F and sun this time of year...35-40F, naso much. So there is a difference to me.

I'll take snow events (even a sloppy inch) right through May if I had my way, but I'd rather let my snowpack die humanely with 50s and 60s quickly rather then let it suffer through day after day of dry 40s and wind. Different folks, different strokes.

As for this storm, the S Coast and Cape better hope they get in on some heavier rates because the BL doesn't look too well. Maybe ACK can pull out a win from this?

No, I didn't get the chance to get up there. Maybe I'll try and sneak up this week. Conditions must be superb though.

We went last night for a couple of hours. It was really scratchy/icy. Quite a change from Friday night. Lots of now, but all frozen into a block.

I will be going Friday morning (as well as other evenings) and I am interested to see if it softens up

I can understand how some are excited...a lot of people love the 51F weather after being 35F for a while...I think its repulsive though. I guess it helps keep my car warmer. Give me 65F+ or keep me in winter mode.

Yeah most folks aren't going to get into summer mode when you get a high in the 50's thus time if year which is normal but its still in the 20's at night and you're still burning oil for warmth. If we can flip to 70's now from here on our I'd be all for it, but since we are in a well below normal pattern why not hope for a few more snowfalls? I don't see the harm in that. Even in winter the valleys struggle for snow so I guess I understand why those folks are excited for a day or 2 near 50

We went last night for a couple of hours. It was really scratchy/icy. Quite a change from Friday night. Lots of now, but all frozen into a block.

I will be going Friday morning (as well as other evenings) and I am interested to see if it softens up

Daytime would be the time to go now...it will get icy at night with refreezing. Ski in corn.

I wish I went friday though ebcause that was like packed powder...really awesome looking. I just couldn't get up there though with other obligations.

Yeah most folks aren't going to get into summer mode when you get a high in the 50's thus time if year which is normal but its still in the 20's at night and you're still burning oil for warmth. If we can flip to 70's now from here on our I'd be all for it, but since we are in a well below normal pattern why not hope for a few more snowfalls? I don't see the harm in that. Even in winter the valleys struggle for snow so I guess I understand why those folks are excited for a day or 2 near 50

I relish snow events and any snow pack that hangs on. I'll get 7 months of "nice" weather and by September everyone is completely sick of 77F and temp talk...which is why I always laugh at when people try to skip to spring in like mid February. Often the same ones who complain it hasn't snowed yet by Thanksgiving, lol.

But its natural to become impatient.

There's a good chance at another threat or two in the interior I think over the next 10-14 days, so I'll keep following.

3-6 SCT SRI CC

It's going to be so close Steve from there over to ACK.  I mean we're talking 20 miles.  Get a few more MB out of the low and it happens.

I give this winter an A-.  I can't go any higher based on December holidays and January being kind of rude.  But it was excellent nonetheless.  Before the snow came the cold and we had some decent ice for the first time in a few years.  Then it's been wall to wall cold/snow with the snowiest March I can ever remember here, certainly the snowiest since I've been down this way.  A dream winter for me is snow before Thanksgiving that lasts right into February.  But this will do nicely as well.  Hallmark winter A+ would be a white thanksgiving, white Christmas, and good snows into February.

2-3 enormous gales, and 2-3 of the prettiest snows I can remember like the norlun last week.  3 or 4 storms over 10", just terrific.

Bottom line is it's March 25th and there's still snow in the shaded woods and in piles from plowing last week.  Unheard of down here.

I'll wear shorts in 50F and sun this time of year...35-40F, naso much. So there is a difference to me.

Yeah sun and even 45F this time of year feels tropical and folks will ski in a t-shirt. It is invigorating to get 40s and sun as odd as that sounds.

Heck it was 13F when I left my house this morning. It will be nice to not have to run the car for ten minutes just to warm up the motor each morning.

But I'm as stout a snow lover as they get, but I'll get to play in the snow well into May at this point regardless, so not going to turn down some sunny 40s and spring skiing.

Radar shows the precip hitting the proverbial brick wall...it's just a bit further NE than 2/5/10, but wow, looks exactly the same....

Yeah no progress.  I felt it was all or nothing, i'll be surprised if there's really anything over SE MA if that wall doesn't get up and IMO chances seem slim to none.

Yeah no progress.  I felt it was all or nothing, i'll be surprised if there's really anything over SE MA if that wall doesn't get up and IMO chances seem slim to none.

yeah, I'd be surrpised if we (in CT) saw a flake...once that wall goes up, forget it.  Strong confluence FTL

sun is shining dimly through the cloud deck-some scud clouds off to the south towards the heavier cloud cover...

Also, Plymouth still needs .5" to make it to 60". I think Dendrite is over 75" so they have had some pretty bad luck this year.

84-85" or something here...I'm not home to give you an exact amount. I think I'm neck and neck with CON. They did better on most of the bigger events, but I had many sloppy 2-3" where I did better.

yeah, I'd be surrpised if we (in CT) saw a flake...once that wall goes up, forget it.  Strong confluence FTL

sun is shining dimly through the cloud deck-some scud clouds off to the south towards the heavier cloud cover...

Feels and looks like snow, house starting to shake with winds off the water, clouds lowering.

Taunton seems adamant it will snow, hoping they are right.

The wall seems to be just south of Block over to just south of MVY.  Nothing has been able to get beyond that point.

I'll sign that.

This run of PC/breezy days with high near 40 and low in 20s is a wonderful mud season extender, which adds to the boredom factor. I'm happier when wx is doing something.  And while I look forward to gardening, and doing fieldwork in footwear lighter than pacs, the warm season wx tends toward meh - MBY has an uncanny ability to dodge anything severe.

84-85" or something here...I'm not home to give you an exact amount. I think I'm neck and neck with CON. They did better on most of the bigger events, but I had many sloppy 2-3" where I did better.

wow :facepalm:

If you have the numbers for each storm and you could post them or PM me I'd love to compare to make sure I didn't miss recording an event but I'm pretty sure I didn't. If I really had 59" while you had 84" that's pretty amazing that can even happen.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I am actually looking forward to afternoon seabreezes, backyard cook outs, and thunderstorms that pop up out of nowhere.

Me too!  Yesterday it got to about 50 here, but between 12 and 3 in the sun, I was out in a tee-shirt.  

Set up the charcoal bbq while the wife transplanted a dozen indoor tangerine trees. (She thinks they miraculously sprouted in the olive tree pot behind a couch; last October I was too lazy to carry the seeds to the kitchen, so I tossed them in there after I finished eating the fruit. She loves them, but if I tell her how they came to be, she'd call me a lazy pig and I'd never hear the end of it. So it will remain an immaculate citrus conception.)  

Archived