• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
NWS proposes changes to current winter weather watch/warning system

The NWS recently posted on there website that they are looking for proposals/suggestions regarding changes to the current watch/warning/advisory system for winter weather events in order to simplfy the wording for better understanding by the general public.

http://nws.weather.gov/haz_simp/

While I think it's quite sad that the NWS is being forced to dumb down its wording, I have to admit that a lot of my friends don't know the difference between an advisory, a watch or a warning.

I personally like the following:

The wording for an advisory can remain the same but bring back snow advisories. We still have freezing rain advisories but we don't have snow advisories anymore.

Example: The NWS has issued a snow advisory for the following counties.... a light accumulating snowfall is occuring or imminent.

Watch should probably be changed to alert. It migth draw better public attention.

The NWS has issued a winter weather alert for the following counties.... At this time, the potenital exists for a significant accumulating snowfall but is not imminent.

I like the idea of using the term warning and bringing back Heavy Snow Warnings. The word "warning" tends to stand out.

The NWS has issued a heavy snow warning for the following counties... A heavy, significant snowfall is occuring and or imminent.

In the cases where you are dealing with multiple hazards such as freezing rain and snow I suggest that we keep the old system of winter weather advisories and winter storm warnings but perhaps just change the wording around a bit. I do realize that this isn't much different than what is currently in place.

The NWS has issued a winter weather advisory for the following counties... for the combination of sleet, snow and freezing rain that will make for hazardous driving conditions. The hazardous winter weather is either occuring or imminent.

The NWS has issued a winter storm warning for the following counties... for the combination of significant accumulations of sleet, snow and freezing rain. Significant accumulations of sleet, snow and or freezing rain are occuring and or imminent.

Thoughts?

Archived