Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first 1.50" or so is snow at KTAN on the NAM...but yeah,the looks spurious at 850

Yup there is a small area of interior, elevated SE Mass and maybe NRI that gets hit hard on the NAM.  But even in this jackpot area I would knock off 30% of the NAM QPF and use an 8:1 ratio.  So my estimate would yield a jackpot of around 8-10" of snow.

Wow, you've been poo-pooing on ALL regions. 

The Euro, GFS, and GGEM were all grazers.  I think you're overstating the model QPF.  Regardless, it was light QPF over a 12-24 hours... rain or non-accumulating snow.  Earlier NAM runs and the SREF were the only models with heavy QPF further NW with the coastal.  I was very confident this would not verify.  In my opinion, none of the globals supported 1-3" in your area at 12z this afternoon.

There is still a shot at a light to mod snowfall on thurs night/friday.  The NAM is almost certainly excessive, but everything shows at least a few tenths with this feature.  Surface temps will still be marginal outside the hilltowns.

UPTON says the HRRR is rocking it.   Joe's favorite model.  be lots of surprises on the cape in the morning that is for sure.

Yup, it's the only thing they didn't toss.

Radar is looking better, moving north slowly but moving. Maybe we get lucky? Not expecting anything more than a coating, anything more than that tonight is a win. 3-6" is my goal for tomorrow, verify 3", and I'm a happy man, anything less than that, and this storm was a bust.

-skisheep

Apologies for going OT but all the s**t being thrown at the NAM, GFS and NCEP in general reminds me that it should not be a surprise to anybody.  They had major system failure back on December 26 and have not recovered their systems yet.  It should be embarrasing to them, really.  As somebody who works in IT, if I could not recover my systems by this time, I'd be fired.  It's not the reason why the models are junk, it's more so to expectations... if they can't get thier systems recovered, how can we expect a usable model?  Just my 2 cents.

Now, let it snow!

Just looking closely at the Euro data. Down around DC and Balt it consistently showed 2m temps warming on strong easterly flow for the duration of their heavy precip. This verified extremely well and IMO was a big factor that accounted for the big bust down there with non-accumulating snowfall and lots of rain despite nice cold 850 temps.  The areas further west in VA were well modeled to have lower 2m temps and thus they saw the big accumulations.

In contrast for SNE, the Euro has us with NE flow shifting more northerly as the heavy snow rotates in for eastern areas, and a corresponding drop to 31 or 32 degrees at 2m.  If the euro is right this will be a big positive bust (assuming it's right on QPF) for even inside of 128.  It becomes much more borderline in SE MA and especially down around PYM so Rollo is definitely appropriately raising the BL flags down there.

Apologies for going OT but all the s**t being thrown at the NAM, GFS and NCEP in general reminds me that it should not be a surprise to anybody. They had major system failure back on December 26 and have not recovered their systems yet. It should be embarrasing to them, really. As somebody who works in IT, if I could not recover my systems by this time, I'd be fired. It's not the reason why the models are junk, it's more so to expectations... if they can't get thier systems recovered, how can we expect a usable model? Just my 2 cents.

Now, let it snow!

My guess is that a server crashing has no bearing on the source code of a weather model. My 2 cents. But I agree yes they are crap.

The Euro, GFS, and GGEM were all grazers.  I think you're overstating the model QPF.  Regardless, it was light QPF over a 12-24 hours... rain or non-accumulating snow.  Earlier NAM runs and the SREF were the only models with heavy QPF further NW with the coastal.  I was very confident this would not verify.  In my opinion, none of the globals supported 1-3" in your area at 12z this afternoon.

There is still a shot at a light to mod snowfall on thurs night/friday.  The NAM is almost certainly excessive, but everything shows at least a few tenths with this feature.  Surface temps will still be marginal outside the hilltowns.

Now There is a Downer and Bear. If talking about SEMA/RI/Bos. Lol.

Just looking closely at the Euro data. Down around DC and Balt it consistently showed 2m temps warming on strong easterly flow for the duration of their heavy precip. This verified extremely well and IMO was a big factor that accounted for the big bust down there with non-accumulating snowfall and lots of rain despite nice cold 850 temps.  The areas further west in VA were well modeled to have lower 2m temps and thus they saw the big accumulations.

In contrast for SNE, the Euro has us with NE flow shifting more northerly as the heavy snow rotates in for eastern areas, and a corresponding drop to 31 or 32 degrees at 2m.  If the euro is right this will be a big positive bust (assuming it's right on QPF) for even inside of 128.  It becomes much more borderline in SE MA and especially down around PYM so Rollo is definitely appropriately raising the BL flags down there.

Yeah, agreed.

I've never seen this posted prior, RAP acc snowfall.  Just for giggles.

post-3232-0-76944700-1362625620_thumb.pn

I remember seeing like 36-37F for DC on the Euro the last couple runs or so before it hit...and I ifugred it was just a shade warm at the sfc, but it turned out to be accurate....interestingly it was warmer up in NE MD then C VA...I couldn't figure that but it nailed that part. Totally opposite thermal profiles for SNE on the Euro...its very cold...lets hope it has this down.

I really don't know what to think here...I wish we had a good antecedent airmass.

BOS is tough to forecast for in these...the high position is sometimes a good thing for BOS on these marginal airmass events. That sneaky Quebec high supplying dry air to wetbulb-cool temps throughout the event. Ovbiously though you'll want at least moderate precip.

BOS is tough to forecast for in these...the high position is sometimes a good thing for BOS on these marginal airmass events. That sneaky Quebec high supplying dry air to wetbulb-cool temps throughout the event. Ovbiously though you'll want at least moderate precip.

I love HP..you know me...but I don't know how much moisture makes it in here. It does have a bit of a Feb 99 look to be honest.

Archived