Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the band over Nantucket itself is going to make it in...lift and moisture expands north of that.  You'll see the radar fill in and get stronger reflectivity and that band east of Boston making it inland.

I think it does, I hope it does.  It's ripping west down Rte 6 right now about over Phil's head.

The other question is was the NAM more right with temps.  I shouldn't forget that...could stll be a sneaky warm layer in there

Did you miss the stuff I posted from Wrentham earlier?  There was a good 5-6" OTG there at noon.

Yup - lol.  Yeah they must have had some impressive fall rates to get over that 34F hump - but wonder how much melted.

also, get load of the temp crashing out at Logan:

072017 FEW009 OVC012                0.5 SNFZFG   30  30 0221G29 G 30                                            071954 BKN009 OVC014                0.5 -SNBR    32  31 0224G32 G 33 164 001                                    071854 BKN009 OVC012                0.5 SNFG     32  32 0220G29 G 32 164 000

Yup - lol.  Yeah they must have had some impressive fall rates to get over that 34F hump - but wonder how much melted.

also, get load of the temp crashing out at Logan:

072017 FEW009 OVC012                0.5 SNFZFG   30  30 0221G29 G 30                                            071954 BKN009 OVC014                0.5 -SNBR    32  31 0224G32 G 33 164 001                                    071854 BKN009 OVC012                0.5 SNFG     32  32 0220G29 G 32 164 000

Temps were 31-32 there.

The latest RAP is just sick overnight for E MA...I think things should fill in too for W RI and SE CT.

I'm almost getting excited here Will.  Almost.

I'm just hoping there's no warmth coming with this band, otherwise a tree crusher is inbound even here.  Winds have shifted more with a northerly component which should open the door to snows.

thanks, yeah we'll see.  I'd rather get into a few of those other schools since Plymouth's MS program seems a bit weak on the research front and I'd rather do tropical stuff.

Having been through there for my MS in Applied Meteorology, I will say it's a very solid grad met program. It's definitely more operationally focused than the others and is still young, but it's a tight knit group of faculty and students who are very supportive of each other. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your applications!

I'm almost getting excited here Will.  Almost.

I'm just hoping there's no warmth coming with this band, otherwise a tree crusher is inbound even here.  Winds have shifted more with a northerly component which should open the door to snows.

Why is anyone surprised this is happening? You have been all over this, great stuff the last few days.I know some have busted your chops and me included about micro analysing the runs but you and Will have stuck solidly to your guns when Boston on airs and a couple from here were poo pooing. Good Stuff

thanks, yeah we'll see.  I'd rather get into a few of those other schools since Plymouth's MS program seems a bit weak on the research front and I'd rather do tropical stuff.

Definitely won't disagree there. I'm definitely planning on leaving Plymouth for graduate school (after undergrad) for somewhere decently far away, or at least with a more reputable program.  At least that's the plan right now. If I could find a job right out of school, even better. But yeah that's probably not going to happen lol.

edit: Not to say that Plymouth's program isn't good, just that I'd probably like to experience somewhere else. Obviously as a freshman I don't really have to worry about it.

Archived