• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

I'm liking the setup for my area with this event as the low level winds back to a more N direction, which should help to mitigate shadowing issues for the west slope. The 4 km NAM actually had the 10 m winds going NNW here after midnight, possibly implying some weak upslope enhancement. I will do a lot better if the low level winds are not ripping out of the E or NE. 

Snow growth looks good for this event as well, helping with ratios some after dark. Accumulations will be hard to pin down for any one location as I think there is definitely banding potential with this event, but I'm going with a general 6-10" for much of the area (W MA and E NY) with areas over a foot likely where the weenie bands set up shop. I think the QPF jackpots will likely be determined more by where the best banding sets up this go around as opposed to orography since the low level winds are more parallel to the mountain ranges, although elevation will help with snow ratios with whatever falls during the day today and tomorrow. 

:wub:

MPM is going to be sad he is out of town. lol

Greenfield tends to do well on N winds. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will check out the water vapor.  It's just coming onto the screen now but you can see the high/mid level moisture getting tossed back hardcore.  Coming to a snow ruler near you in about 7 hours.

Heh, just posted about the RAP while you posted this...it looks awesome later tonight...and lines up fairly well with what the Euro is advertising. That moisture firehose/feed from the east just gets lifted up and thrown back into SNE.

So we have .35" that's going to accumulate, and we probably get some stuff after 12z tomorrow(upton has us shutting down early afternoon and all snow until then), I'd say total accumulating QPF here is probably about .45" or so? Very happy with this run, should verify upton's 4-6" nicely and my 3-5" should be good, probably on the higher end. According to NYC forum Stamford is the .75 line for storm total, but I'm tossing them and going with what's here, the analysis over there is shaky sometimes...

-skisheep

3"-5" looks good for you and 6" might be possible. Hopefully, if there are any surprises, they'll be on the snowier side.

I cant see how the euro/rgem combo will be wrong for Boston.

I believe that is the new deadly combo inside of 24 hours. Especially inside of 12 hours.

The only difference right now is that the euro is more bullish then the rgem, with regards to total precip.

Rgem from now to end. Total accumulations of snow in liquid form:

SN_012-048_0000.gif

I really feel like most of the forecasts are way behind still.  Especially just NW of Bob the forecast has already fallen.  It's like there's no understanding of tonight.

Will/Scott/Ryan and all

One concern I have.  The Euro had this band over to the SE of me moving up by now.  It hasn't.  GFS kind of didn't move it and then suddenly it's east of boston in a few hours.  They really diverged very quickly in that regard.  JMHO the model that has the best handle on the band to my SE is the NAM so far.  it pinned it for another few hours and then has it moving up.

We just had a big wind gust, temp instantly dropped .4, down to 34.6 and dropping.

If we get real precip it should be all snow finally.

I really feel like most of the forecasts are way behind still.  Especially just NW of Bob the forecast has already fallen.  It's like there's no understanding of tonight.

Will/Scott/Ryan and all

One concern I have.  The Euro had this band over to the SE of me moving up by now.  It hasn't.  GFS kind of didn't move it and then suddenly it's east of boston in a few hours.  They really diverged very quickly in that regard.  JMHO the model that has the best handle on the band to my SE is the NAM so far.  it pinned it for another few hours and then has it moving up.

We just had a big wind gust, temp instantly dropped .4, down to 34.6 and dropping.

If we get real precip it should be all snow finally.

I get the feeling it may not "look" on radar like it's moving north... it may just totally blossom to the northwest as the better forcing moves in. 

I get the feeling it may not "look" on radar like it's moving north... it may just totally blossom to the northwest as the better forcing moves in. 

I think the Euro may be overdone there to be honest, the 12z pulse up again.  The 0z last night matches better what's happening as it pertains to that band.  The 0z last night moved it northward in the next few hours.  That seems reasonable.    Just food for thought, like I said the 12z Euro runs seem to uptick each day.  Maybe that's part of it.

Academic really, mainly just wondering about QPF which at this point is mostly meaningless.

Positioning itself of the band is pretty good in the last 3 runs all things considered.

I think the Euro may be overdone there to be honest, the 12z pulse up again.  The 0z last night matches better what's happening as it pertains to that band.  The 0z last night moved it northward in the next few hours.  That seems reasonable.    Just food for thought, like I said the 12z Euro runs seem to uptick each day.  Maybe that's part of it.

Anywhere east of ORH I'm just tossing it. Exterior areas may verify, or close to at least with precipitation, but still overdone imo.

Is it sticking in/around Providence now?  Have to pick up the red bombshell at TF Green later tonight.

From what I hear not on roads its seems only sticking even on grass is PVD east. The airport is too close to the bay never same obs as the city

Radar looks like sucker hole in RI growing again my temps on the rise

Archived