• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

That was 2 years ago after the big storm? right?

I don't know what BOX does with those snowfall maps. They're awful for this area. They show bizarre gradients. In general the valley doesn't make a huge difference in storms unless temperatures are very borderline or you have a ripping easterly wind which will shadow.

I think the NW hills will be in a good spot. I like Litchfield and W Hartford County down through Waterbury. They tend to do well in these kinds of setups.

Yes it was one of the rare norluns that stayed in ct, his area to Naugatuck got taken behind the woodshed, very very localized.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was 2 years ago after the big storm? right?

I don't know what BOX does with those snowfall maps. They're awful for this area. They show bizarre gradients. In general the valley doesn't make a huge difference in storms unless temperatures are very borderline or you have a ripping easterly wind which will shadow.

I think the NW hills will be in a good spot. I like Litchfield and W Hartford County down through Waterbury. They tend to do well in these kinds of setups.

I haven't seen a map worse than the one Noyes put out last night. 

Watching the radar evolve tonight should be a hoot..........jeb walks all night long, spot lights full power, going to enjoy every moment of winters last stand.

Good luck to all!

What are you thinking for down here? I think 4-6" is a good starting point, no guidance is really less than .5" liquid now, potential for more if we get into banding.

Wonder if schools close tomorrow, Stamford schools got slammed for staying open in the blizzard, I think they err on the side of caution if it's borderline...

-skisheep

Excellent snow growth apparently, looks good for 18dbz.  Got 1" on unpaved surfaces as of now...

NAM has me intrigued for tonight/tomorrow morning...at BOS 1.8" QPF through tomorrow...and we don't warm at 850 til tomorrow morning.  DIdn't check bufkit, just used earl barker text output

Yeah it's almost tickle like fun..because you just don't where they will end up..until they start tickling up on certain areas and then it's tickle tickle tickle all night long.

How many hours do you figure until things pick back up in the BOS area out to 95? Shouldn't take long to get fun once that push in occurs... I'm just trying to time my commute home well and it's a bit tricky.

Seriously.  I just don't have the knowledge with this stuff.   I try to follow, but I get lost in much of the technical talk.

ULL diving in from NY state..helps to capture or "pull back" the offshore low and all kinds of atlantic moisture...That upper level energy helps the moisture from the "firehouse or strong easterly flow blossom to the west.

There's an extension from the parent offshore low to the ULL..which you'll sometimes see referred to as an inverted trough or Norlun and it helps to enhance precip rates even more..it also is a fujiwara effect..which means the lows sort of dance around or tickle around each other..it's rare, but it happens from time to time

Without that strong ULL ..what we had this morning would have been about it.

It's going to start to slow and hook left a bit as the ULL dives in from the GL and does the fujiwara dance,

Nah, the snows tonight aren't caused by the storm... That storm-centric mechanics are just clipping the Cape/SE, but that will evac seaward during the day, then ... secondary impulse passing under our latitude combined with difluent jet will excite lift;  the region of lift can already be seen on WV imagery over southern Ontario, just NE of the secondary impulse.  That zone will translate over a saturated column this evening, and blossom (NAM example) swath of moderate to heavy snow.  

The elongation in the pressure field toward the NW from a low situated hundreds of miles seaward is a fairly classic signature for Norlun

It's going to start to slow and hook left a bit as the ULL dives in from the GL and does the fujiwara dance,

Next gtg, this storm would be good model to have someone explain all of the components and dynamics involved to make this happen through animations if they're available.  It's very intriguing to say the least.

I'm keeping up with Mark Searles map from Monday night (and he had a sliiiightly snowier solution during Most of Tuesday but the second map was ALL rain on SEMA!) where I Publicly bashed the Ever living crap out of him on his facebook page for being a NAM Hugger ESPECIALLY when it's an outlier model in a storm, and it's not to be used even when it's Not an outlier. His area of 1-3 on map when crossing SE MA is already at 3-5 with 24 hours left. NOW everyone on fb knows Why I Destroyed Him.

post-2792-0-70608900-1362670322_thumb.pn

If you believe the NAM depiction.

Higher resolution model types will be more proficient at seeing that sort of thing - though it is interesting the Euro is less structured that way...  The GGEM is, however, and though the GFS is less in the pressure pattern, it's events aloft and QPF modeling mimic the behavior rather well..

It's not just that...  the features and their evolution are Norlun inducing

ULL diving in from NY state..helps to capture or "pull back" the offshore low and all kinds of atlantic moisture...That upper level energy helps the moisture from the "firehouse or strong easterly flow blossom to the west.

There's an extension from the parent offshore low to the ULL..which you'll sometimes see referred to as an inverted trough or Norlun and it helps to enhance precip rates even more..it also is a fujiwara effect..which means the lows sort of dance around or tickle around each other..it's rare, but it happens from time to time

Without that strong ULL ..what we had this morning would have been about it.

Thanks, dude.  I kind of get that.  Is the ULL what can be seen over the Great Lakes in that annimation above?

Fujiwara comes from the phenomenon of both upper level lows interacting with each other. This causes both upper level lows to sort of dance around each other or rotate around each other. In this case it slows the parent ULL way out to sea..and helps allow moisture to be thrown well back into SNE.

How many hours do you figure until things pick back up in the BOS area out to 95? Shouldn't take long to get fun once that push in occurs... I'm just trying to time my commute home well and it's a bit tricky.

That is a great problem to have. That's a caviar-champagne problem.  Sort of like..."Oh my, which champagne do I have with my caviar?"  Meanwhile up here we are having catfish eggs with boone's farm.

enjoy your Dom P.

Archived