• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

Taunton, I suspect 2-3".  I'm in Wrentham and there is 3-4" here.

I can verify that.. sharpest cutoff to snow growth I have seen in a while east to west. is the heavier banding going to make it east or is Western RI / ECT gonna get totally screwed?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can verify that.. sharpest cutoff to snow growth I have seen in a while east to west. is the heavier banding going to make it east or is Western RI / ECT gonna get totally screwed?

In the Delmarva yesterday the models botched the intensity of the precip in the band, esp the GFS.  BUT it was very confined and penetrated only about the equivalent of where Bob is or a little west.  Sure there was more west of that, but not as intense.

NAM still dumps and dumps.  GFS had a more protracted event.  RGEM...was meh on this first part and rocked EMA tonight like the Euro and into Thursday.

I think the GFS came towards the other guidance again in that this is better in the first stage through Thursday am, and better in the 2nd stage.  Like I said not much time to watch today, but it will just be about the temps and hopefully no big breaks in precip to allow warming in areas that cooled.  That's what hurt down south yesterday.

Bottom line it looks great, just hope it can stay cold enough for all of you.  After 6z and so far 12z all models agreed I nplunking this band in SE MA today.  Now let's just hope there's no movement in the later bands.

Just flipped to snow here in this heavier band, and some sleet it almost sounds like.

In the Delmarva yesterday the models botched the intensity of the precip in the band, esp the GFS.  BUT it was very confined and penetrated only about the equivalent of where Bob is or a little west.  Sure there was more west of that, but not as intense.

NAM still dumps and dumps.  GFS had a more protracted event.  RGEM...was meh on this first part and rocked EMA tonight like the Euro and into Thursday.

I think the GFS came towards the other guidance again.  Like I said not much time to watch today, but it will just be about the temps and hopefully no big breaks in precip to allow warming in areas that cooled.  That's what hurt down south yesterday.

Bottom line it looks great, just hope it can stay cold enough for all of you.

Temps went down from 32 at 6am to 30 now. the snow that has already fallen should help at least with the ground temp.  Roads covered as well so it seems for now we are good,  as long as the precip falls like it has been.  295 corridor in RI seems to be having the issues your are stating though.

As is usual...I'm sure the NAM is overdoing QPF a bit.  But even if you cut it in half...it's still a solid 4-8" across CT...less west, more east.

For many areas I agree... but I could see some super :weenie: totals tonight in a few bands. I could see some 12+ snow numbers being put down. There's a lot that really excites me for tonight snow wise. 

temps across SE bristol and parts of pym counties warming to mid 30's

R/S line appears to be moving West a tad

seekonk around 31  tan w side 33 ....east side near 35'ish

35's in bridgewater  36 in lakeville.  

looks like r/s line could set up easton/norton

I love when your excited like this makes me think we will all be happy tomorrow

For many areas I agree... but I could see some super :weenie: totals tonight in a few bands. I could see some 12+ snow numbers being put down. There's a lot that really excites me for tonight snow wise. 

Ryan what was that even where Grinch just got absolutely owned? It was a norlun, I got like 2 here he was over a foot I believe!

Yes that map is highly inaccurate. Noone uses that one

Always use this one..click to enlarge

nsm_depth_2013030705_Northeast_thumb.jpg

Yeah...that one he posted from the river forecast center is terrible. Has 2-4" depths along the shoreline between here and HVN...while we had a lot of bare ground...and even the shady spots that still had snow cover it was 2" at best.

watch temps over N shore as well. right now lynn holding 32....marblehead salem 32/33.   we don't want tick up to 35 ....not sure if light rates and march sun angle will get us there.   but i hope down in ktan temps can fall back...cause weathertap radar and meso net stations show r/s line moving slightly west into pym/bristol counties

Preliminary thinking is 3-6" for the Conn. shore with 4-8" inland. Will wait for new 12z guidance before going higher and with a map on this one.

I'm sure this storm will have more surprises for us!

Yep...finally seems to be some consensus for this storm. 

Yeah...as usual...higher lollies are possible. You favoring any areas in particular? Seems like its gonna come down to nowcasting and watching where the heavier bands set up. Although I'm thinking the farther north and east one is in the state the better chance the better chance for weenie totals.

What a painful storm this has been to forecast...but glad it's looking like we'll get a solid event out of it in the end.

Yeah...as usual...higher lollies are possible. You favoring any areas in particular? Seems like its gonna come down to nowcasting and watching where the heavier bands set up. Although I'm thinking the farther north and east one is in the state the better chance the better chance for weenie totals.

What a painful storm this has been to forecast...but glad it's looking like we'll get a solid event out of it in the end.

Yeah, I think after 12z we should have consensus on 4-8"state wide, lollies to 12" in NE areas, that's my best guess. Crazy that it took until a few hours before the start to get some agreement...

Yeah i agree. This is going to be one of those nights into tomorrow midday where you're going to have 3 or 4 weenie bands set up..Get under them for hours and you grab 12+..miss them and it's more 4-8..

Yeah...that one he posted from the river forecast center is terrible. Has 2-4" depths along the shoreline between here and HVN...while we had a lot of bare ground...and even the shady spots that still had snow cover it was 2" at best.

I don't know how they produce that map..but it looks like they draw it by hand or something. It's terrible and always very inaccurate. The one I posted is real time/satellite data

Yeah i agree. This is going to be one of those nights into tomorrow midday where you're going to have 3 or 4 weenie bands set up..Get under them for hours and you grab 12+..miss them and it's more 4-8..

They can be fun because models sometimes don't do a good job with these bands coming off the water thanks to a stalled low. I think you'll do fine tonight.

They can be fun because models sometimes don't do a good job with these bands coming off the water thanks to a stalled low. I think you'll do fine tonight.

Yeah it's almost tickle like fun..because you just don't where they will end up..until they start tickling up on certain areas and then it's tickle tickle tickle all night long.

Ryan what was that even where Grinch just got absolutely owned? It was a norlun, I got like 2 here he was over a foot I believe!

That was 2 years ago after the big storm? right?

Expecting due north winds in the valley throughout the event.  Do not think the shadowing will be as pronounced as BOX has it.

I don't know what BOX does with those snowfall maps. They're awful for this area. They show bizarre gradients. In general the valley doesn't make a huge difference in storms unless temperatures are very borderline or you have a ripping easterly wind which will shadow.

I think the NW hills will be in a good spot. I like Litchfield and W Hartford County down through Waterbury. They tend to do well in these kinds of setups.

It could be very similar to the blizzard, if you hit the nice band, you get SN+ with inch or two per hour rates, otherwise, you get SN-/SN with light accumulations. I think worst case scenario is 4" for anyone in CT, that's if you get no banding and .3" per hour SN- snows all night. Get into the bands, and it could be a foot easily. I don't think you get nothing if you miss the bands, but it won't be impressive compared to others...

-skisheep

Archived