Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am glad the nam is on our side because the tv stations still aren't they expect this to turn to a rain event for eastern Mass. what do you think?

It ain't gonna mix due to marine taint. If the sun came out and there was little precip it may be a rasn mix in some spot, but it's not marine taint. I think that was flawed logic...temps are more clearly driven by precip rate today. Winds are alsmot due north.

It ain't gonna mix due to marine taint. If the sun came out and there was little precip it may be a rasn mix in some spot, but it's not marine taint. I think that was flawed logic...temps are more clearly driven by precip rate today. Winds are alsmot due north.

So they are just trying to save their butts for their horrible numbers from yesterday, coming up with a logic on why their numbers are right.

messenger WRT fire hose  .   http://eyewall.met.psu.edu/rich/NAM/

you can see the nose of the 850 inlow is 6 S.D (WOW) just off E NJ coast right now (7pm 0z thurs)  on sref guidance

if you click fwd in time after selecting 850 inflow and the model of your choice.....for sref's for example you can see the nose of that anomalous 850 inflow moving NNE to just off MVY/ACK/CC from 7am to like 4pm when its at it's northern most spot...   at 5 standard deviations and it keeps that nose of anomalous 850 inflow bombing mvy/ack areas from tomm am to fri am at 5 stanard deviations!

now i'm not 100 %sure  the firehose is / and it's movement....is correlated  (METS?) with the 850 inflow nose. it appears to be!

the NAM gets this nose of the 5 SD anomaly further north faster by like 1-3 am over the islands/CC and pivots this up to CC and SE mass by 7am ....it develops another little nose over boston and west around 10pm tommorrow into the overnite.. so like 8pm to 4 am or so over boston west general area n/s 20 miles or so. 

the GFS however go back to the 850 inflow ...the nose of the 5 SD area is well east of new england and doesn't really hit us

the 18z run was closest but not that close lol

i think that needs to be watch'd

nam/sref's show nose of maximum 850 inflow crushing SE mass up to boston area (at times) i think this represents potential fire hose placement best it correlates to what you point out on WV

GFS shows this where it is ....and going ENE and well SE of us.

also the firehose will allign itself with mid level winds (will mention'd this to me) which will be east going to ene i think

i'm glued to this graphic later tonite and it's updates.

wrt to an update on the 850 inflow the nam seem'd to cave to the gfs with position of the greatest anomalies and nose of 850 inflow over the last cycle or two. 12z nam not out there yet. but would like to see it better wrt to the above

if this firehose thing really comes to fruition and the lifting mechanism draws it over sne as modeled it should be pretty big and should overcome the whole death valley issue

this scenario actually makes sense to me for some surprisingly big dumps of snow, the fetch off the ocean combined with the lift should be insane later

Pickles the firehose references is the 850-700 inflow or TROWAL as we call it. It's basically a huge area of isentropic glide upwards, but loaded with moisture..hence the high rates. There can be bands of heavier snows related to little kinks in the mid level lows spinning a lobe of vorticity back west.

im thinking maybe 1 to 2 inch an hour kind of stuff could be fun

if this firehose thing really comes to fruition and the lifting mechanism draws it over sne as modeled it should be pretty big and should overcome the whole death valley issue

this scenario actually makes sense to me for some surprisingly big dumps of snow, the fetch off the ocean combined with the lift should be insane later

Pickles the firehose references is the 850-700 inflow or TROWAL as we call it. It's basically a huge area of isentropic glide upwards, but loaded with moisture..hence the high rates. There can be bands of heavier snows related to little kinks in the mid level lows spinning a lobe of vorticity back west.

thank u

i mean do the 850 inflow maps i had link'd relate pretty decent do this. they show the nose of the 850 inflow but not the 700.... really like those maps ginxy link'd bc it shows in3 hr intervals models latest thinking wrt to movment of that nose

Pretty much just need to watch the radar for part 1.

For the potential catch (note the GFS even is building QPF later)...that's a model issue, I have no idea how everyone will do with that, related to temps etc.

I'm pleased with this first batch, uncertain about the rest and don't have the time to look today.

We are moosh here as expected.  Hoping maybe this evening we can flip.  This is very reminiscent of the December snowstorms we had a few years ago for me.  Drive

post-3232-0-36212600-1362667253_thumb.jp

Archived