Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You aren't snowing heavily or even moderately....if you can do that...then forget temps being a big concern.

yes but it's midnite....and during the day tommorrow ...it will prob be a 36/32 deal where i pound down to 34 barely accumulating snow...i shouldn't say probably ....but it's a flag.  If you were in my spot and you look'd outside i think it would be a concern, aren't 850 temps moderating tommorrow up to like -4 or -5 . I just think it's an issue during the day tommorrow regardless of winds turning more NNE.  It will be snow yes , esp when /if i tcomes down....but will accumulate.....34 aint' gonna cut it. These -9c 850's moderate to our NE a bit and i don't know ...not trying to be too weenish but it is what it is

We actually have pretty cold BL temps advecting in...its not an arctic high, but it isn't 2010 either. It def would help if this airmass were fresher though.

Yeah.  Not a fan of this model, but the HRRR is bullish.

Ginxy you are in tune with the coastal stuff.  This is a beating already.  Roof shingles be flying.  Was just helping a neighbor secure a blown out window down on the beach road.

post-3232-0-32037400-1362633961_thumb.pn

Yeah. Not a fan of this model, but the HRRR is bullish.

Ginxy you are in tune with the coastal stuff. This is a beating already. Roof shingles be flying. Was just helping a neighbor secure a blown out window down on the beach road.

News folks were saying the coastal flooding could very well be worse than in the blizzard for the same spots.

Is the HRRR any good?

yes but it's midnite....and during the day tommorrow ...it will prob be a 36/32 deal where i pound down to 34 barely accumulating snow...i shouldn't say probably ....but it's a flag.  If you were in my spot and you look'd outside i think it would be a concern, aren't 850 temps moderating tommorrow up to like -4 or -5 . I just think it's an issue during the day tommorrow regardless of winds turning more NNE.  It will be snow yes , esp when /if i tcomes down....but will accumulate.....34 aint' gonna cut it. These -9c 850's moderate to our NE a bit and i don't know ...not trying to be too weenish but it is what it is

If it comes down hard, you don't have to worry about temps...if it stays fairly light, then you do...that simple.

News folks were saying the coastal flooding could very well be worse than in the blizzard for the same spots.

Is the HRRR any good?

No I don't think so, it's been spitting out accumulated snowfall to the Delmarva where it's been roasty all night.

RGEM was odd in that tick N.  Maybe a hiccup but it threw me off a little.  You can kind of see what it was doing taking this enormous increasing firehose to the ESE and tosses it more north this time.  GFS and UKIE kind of like hanging it out off Portsmouth/Gulf of Maine too.  

GGEM looked fine, GEFS looked fine, etc etc.  RAP is locked and loaded backing the band in.   Probably the Euro will just have the normal wobbles.

Spitting snow now at 36 degrees as the first of the real precip starts to move in, my dewpoint is down to 31.

Looking at meteocentre for eastern MA the models are really all so close, nowcast time. 

The UK and GFS take this plume of moisture coming in from the ESE and it ends up off Gloucester instead of getting wrapped over land, maybe the others are being too slow, maybe those two are a little off on the block.  Makes a  huge difference. 

Despite what were some intense precip rates down in the Delmarva, they didn't accumulate much at all I don't think and that's a concern. 

0z nam really hammers us with the nose of that 850 inflow

it really pounds the living day lights out of the EWB area just after 4 am tonite and thru S RI SE mass thru the day tommorrow then lifts north and clobbers boston. i mean it's really not even far from boston area from dawn ...and it hangs on thru fri am perhaps sinking south again.  that's a 5 sd inflow.

gfs still teases us with that nose of the inflow well ESE of cape cod.  i pray it's wrong

i wish i had the euro stats..maybe w underground has the 850 anomalies?  

Euro has initialized...should be interesting. I expect another big hit. PErhaps not the magnitude of 12z and 00z last night, but still big. The previous solutions were like monster totals.

Well, I hope for a lot of reasons it doesn't change much or even ticks stronger.  I'd like to see it rip for you guys.  I don't believe I'm going to be able to cool here, this is just an epic fetch.

0z nam really hammers us with the nose of that 850 inflow

it really pounds the living day lights out of the EWB area just after 4 am tonite and thru S RI SE mass thru the day tommorrow then lifts north and clobbers boston. i mean it's really not even far from boston area from dawn ...and it hangs on thru fri am perhaps sinking south again.  that's a 5 sd inflow.

gfs still teases us with that nose of the inflow well ESE of cape cod.  i pray it's wrong

i wish i had the euro stats..maybe w underground has the 850 anomalies?  

It's out there now check the water vapor.  It's coming.  You can see on the NMM and others that's what slings due west actually into the region.  Not going to lie it looks a little "north" to me right now which is what some of the models did (UK/RGEM/GFS) but it may be me being exhausted.

If the Euro ever did fold this would be one for the ages.

Still E at 30h...but it actually hits E MA harder...just west though isn't hit as hard as 12z...like 128 and inward.

LOL, what a nightmare forecast.   But also if it pans out what an impressive forecast performance by this model.

IF it played out this way not too shabby by the CMC stuff either.

QPF through 48h:

0.50": All of SNE up to nearly CON

0.75": LWM-ORH-BDL-HVN (yes weird shape...but really tight gradient near ORH and LWM)

1.00: KGAY to just SE of ORH to just E of GON

1.50: BOS-PVD

2.00": GHG-UUU and all east or southeast of there.

lol yeah...what would we do without Darth Vader on this forum.

I don't know about you but I'd probably be sleeping.  My temp briefly dropped to 35.7 with that little wedge of precip, back to 36.1

I don't think I can snow here until I get a more northerly wind, even if cats are falling out of the sky in 3-4 hours.

A lot of the shifts in the Euro are just qpf nuances...it still hammers the same general areas...at this point, you just hae to look at radar tomorrow. My guess is that milford MA won't get 1.30" of qpf and ORH 0.75"....we'd probably get in on that...esp with a bit of upslope. The Euro lifts the frehose northward and really looks good synoptically...I actually expected slightly better W of ORH than what it showed...but remember that model QPF is the worst scoring parameter, so don't take each value too hard...just use it as guidance and integrate into local forecasting knowledge and the synoptics of the system....its a monster hit for E MA though...big firehose...the biggest question would be the initial stuff late tonight and into tomorrow morning...that stuff could add or subtract half an inch or more of qpf for E MA.

Archived