BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS came quite a bit away from the ledge.  This is terrible news I know for those that were rooting for it to go east.  :snowing:

Same firehose as the others.   Plenty cold.  Lots of snow.  

ya that's a fair point. (earlier you posted wrt to mixed r/sn at your locale now.....but accums with decent ratio's is another thing...could def happen...just it's not a Lock with marginal airmass..just saying to watch it as a caution flag. Esp if where on fringe of firehose.

You do realize like 1/2 the SNE is seeing their QPF slip away on models in last 24 hrs right. Your area being fartherst SE is holding on...but for the most of us....it's lookin more and more dicey. Yes the shot is still their and models aren't gospel but the trend SE is not many in this forum's friend at all.

Cantore on MSNBC right now from DC.  It is raining and he said "we are running out of time here."  40 miles to the northwest, they are getting hit pretty hard.

Cantore looks bummed........................and wet.

Check out the 15h 0z Euro, matches up pretty well with that and we'll have to watch the lowest layers here too.  It's cold enough aloft, but the last several hundred feet are doing the deed.

Look at the Euro, it never got the 2m temps all that cold down there until really after lunch.  Not the same up here aside of the immediate coast.

I've got a snow shower mixed with rain right now in this crap.  Nevermind at night, and with actual dynamics on Thursday.

my wife works at Jordan and she said it snowed for a few min there.

ya that's a fair point. (earlier you posted wrt to mixed r/sn at your locale now.....but accums with decent ratio's is another thing...could def happen...just it's not a Lock with marginal airmass..just saying to watch it as a caution flag. Esp if where on fringe of firehose.

You do realize like 1/2 the SNE is seeing their QPF slip away on models in last 24 hrs right. Your area being fartherst SE is holding on...but for the most of us....it's lookin more and more dicey. Yes the shot is still their and models aren't gospel but the trend SE is not many in this forum's friend at all.

The RGEM is very wet, the NAM is very wet, the GFS is coming in wetter.  I think both the RGEM and NAM, and likely the GFS increased QPF for most of you.

12Z RPM has 35" for Bob, 16" for Will, and 5" for Kevin lol. Highest forecast I've seen for SE mass is 6-12", and channel 7 has 100% rain...

TWC is ripping and reading the RPM contours, and has 12-18" for ORH county to SE Mass. If they beat a local affiliate.. that will be embarrassing

Not this area.

S of pike, E of CT.

nam snow weenie map crushes me with zero

12z nam was def poorer wrt to qpf for most of area wrt 6z nam....bullseye ...braintree to E PVD E ward stays basically same.

12z gfs looks pretty awful as well.  I don't want anybody getting upset as i'm just doing my own take on the models but they don't look good IMO. And i think BL issues for bob to just west of messenger....will lead to poor ratio's during the day thursday. i.e no 2 foot amounts

Uncle is a late bloomer...it really gets enhancement from that 2nd s/w coming in. It gets the firehose north into E MA, even up to Ray's area, but it takes a while and I think the 2nd s/w coming in helps pinwheel it north and also adds some synoptic upper level divergence to aid everything.

What a fooked up system and a nightmare forecast.

I'm with you. This is the first time I've really had time to look at the models and this looks like garbage, up this way at least. Maybe .5'' of QPF strung out over 30 hours in March. This will amount to wet roads and parking lots with slop on the side and I think that's about it.

This has always been a non-event for northern areas. With all the modeling fluctuations over the past few days, the one constant has been a sharp northern cutoff near the NH border. Don't waste any time or angst over it.

Uncle is a late bloomer...it really gets enhancement from that 2nd s/w coming in. It gets the firehose north into E MA, even up to Ray's area, but it takes a while and I think the 2nd s/w coming in helps pinwheel it north and also adds some synoptic upper level divergence to aid everything.

Nice snow burst here right now. 

I think I'm hosed literally.  I'm only expecting a slushy mess.  West of about west Wareham should do well and especially between there and Bob.  Up by you guys BTH out of me.

Like you said nightmare storm, nightmare forecast.

(This is probably mostly me wishing here lol) but hasn't it been one of the more SE pieces of guidance over the last day? It trying to get some of the better moisture into more northern parts of MA could be a good sign could it not?

Unless the EURO follows suite, I wouldn't lend much credence to the UK.......pretty good conscensus to focus the hose over se MA, while hosing the rest of us.

Its still focused over SE MA, it just lifts it north eventually...most guidance actually does this to some extent otherwise you would get 0.10" of qpf. Ukie seems a bit more enhanced with the aid of the 2nd s/w diving in.

Expect 1" there and then you will not suffer storm depression.

So RPM has me over a foot while others have much less. Dewpoint depression actually occuring now so when rates increase we'll snow just fine. Dew at BOS down to 29.

But...and this is entirely subjective...I've just not feeling this one and haven't really. Maybe I'm like many and like to see if cold to the north. That said, The dew depression is giving me second throughts. I don't think I'll have qpf problems..only temperature so we'll see.

So RPM has me over a foot while others have much less. Dewpoint depression actually occuring now so when rates increase we'll snow just fine. Dew at BOS down to 29. But...and this is entirely subjective...I've just not feeling this one and haven't really. Maybe I'm like many and like to see if cold to the north. That said, The dew depression is giving me second throughts. I don't think I'll have qpf problems..only temperature so we'll see.

Pretty cold temps in the 925mb range are being advected in from the NE...even out over Georges Bank has colder 925mb temps than we do right now. Its one of the reasons the profiles cool quickly as the storm gets going. Even right now the 925mb temps are in the -3C range which is actually helping produce some of these convective precip cells...steep low level lapse rates.

GFS looked pretty lousy.

The weird thing is, it's close now to the same solutions it was showing on Sunday for this event. The low slipping offshore with the bulk of precip sort of shunted off south of about Philly's lat, and then doing a weird jog and slapping back into E SNE. At least that's what I remember it looking like a few days ago.

Archived