BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

09z SREFs still hitting the SE MA areas.  Trimmed back one the W & N areas.Classic downslope/shadow signal too in CT. 

Zero doubt in my  mind the GFS is too weak and subsequently too far SE.  the thing is I can't say the other 3 models were near perfect either but I'm not that worried about your area to mine to be honest.

SREFs are like 1.25" from RI east.  That doesn't seem like a bad way to go when factored in with the bigger hit models.

One thing that I think is more clear on the NAM vs reality than the Euro vs reality...the NAM was far too wet "inland" with the hose.  West of the Delmarva it was likely overdone. 

Also note the placement of the low on the SPC meso, and their couple of hour forecast.  The gFS shifted that low offshore jumping SE.   The SPC, NAM, Euro and RGEM are NW of that position along Ches. Bay, not moving it offshore. 

992 is about the lowest I could find on the mesonet.  I'm not a huge believer that pressure matters a ton, but there's no doubt the GFS is 4-5 mb too high.  That would be a little south of the Euro position, not a ton but maybe 25 miles.   Somewhere between the GFS/NAM-Euro.

The big difference in these models occurs as the low crosses the coast from land to water.  The GFS just falls apart kind of disrupting the firehose enough that it never gets going again.  That does seem like an error to me, but with the expectation that at least the NAM was overdone.

if I didn't know better I wouldn't think that the RGEM/Euro were all that bad.

is it me or does it look the transfer is happening pretty fast to the coastal-meaning DC west doesn't really get into the big banding?

09z SREFs still hitting the SE MA areas.  Trimmed back one the W & N areas.Classic downslope/shadow signal too in CT. 

I'm not sure the N areas could be trimmed back anymore lol.

This is going to be interesting when we get into the now casting.  E SNE has never been in doubt with this (outside of NAM warmth) as long as precip is heavy.  W of 495 etc there could be a lot of folks closely watching the radar, some hallucinating...

I'm still hopeful Box map works out but we'll see.

I'm not sure the N areas could be trimmed back anymore lol.

This is going to be interesting when we get into the now casting.  E SNE has never been in doubt with this (outside of NAM warmth) as long as precip is heavy.  W of 495 etc there could be a lot of folks closely watching the radar, some hallucintaing...

I'm still hopeful Box map works out but we'll see.

This run increased in the 24 hours ending at 72 vs 78 last run, and in the 24 hours ending at 48 increased NW of Boston. 

Slightly, but the firehose signal was there.  I think a smart play is what I said earlier this am, a compromise between the GFS/Euro for now, which is basically/very near the 9z SREF.

No cold air...and we are relying upon an ULL, who lives four neighborhoods away, to make a shot off a garage, off a roof, off a bird bath, off my Celica, off Kev's scalp, nothing but net......probably won't work out.

Good analogy.  Just walking through Downtown Crossing with the wind (41F) tells me this might be a tough heartbreaker (at least) on the coast.  

I have my doubts wrt the EURO's solution.  

is it me or does it look the transfer is happening pretty fast to the coastal-meaning DC west doesn't really get into the big banding?

It's kind of down the middle between what the earlier runs showed.  The NAM tried to bury a low in Ches. Bay for a few hours..no quite the case, appears close. This run backed off of that and is a compromise between it's old run, and the GFS through 15 hours. 

Archived