• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

When BOS doesn't look great it tends to out him in a bad mood , and that portends to him Debbie ing everywhere else too. Maybe he's right and we don't get snow. Lets see how it all plays out

You want BOS to score because its not going to be pouring rain while you snow but it may be slop while you get 3 inches.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's just zero cold air with this....unless it really comes down at a given location, it's not going to stick

No cold air...and we are relying upon an ULL, who lives four neighborhoods away, to make a shot off a garage, off a roof, off a bird bath, off my Celica, off Kev's scalp, nothing but net......probably won't work out.

No cold air...and we are relying upon an ULL, who lives four neighborhoods away, to make a shot off a garage, off a roof, off a bird bath, off my Celica, off Kev's scalp, nothing but net......probably won't work out.

:lmao:

Then again, at a Celtics game 3 years ago this guy from the crowd is shooting from half court at half time for 50k. Nothing but net. Most exciting moment of the game.

I'm not riding any model whatsoever with this. My gut tells me this won't be a big deal for BOS. I don't like the look of this.

meteorology, pattern recognition, gut level instincts, experience?

do you think the winds will be bad enough at BOS later this eve to disrupt flights?  thanks.

It's brutal with these systems that need a half dozen dynamic pieces to all line up correctly to deliver.

How about a good old fashioned Miller A sometime? You know, the ones where we have a beautiful cold high sitting over Ontario/Quebec and every model is locked in 5 days out.

It's brutal with these systems that need a half dozen dynamic pieces to all line up correctly to deliver.

How about a good old fashioned Miller A sometime? You know, the ones where we have a beautiful cold high sitting over Ontario/Quebec and every model is locked in 5 days out.

Lol...like we had a month ago?

There's plenty of cold air around there...it's colder than many other blockbuster nor'easters are.  The warmest 850mb temp in BOS/SE MA during the storm is -5c on the euro. 

Yes it's cold enough to snow but it would be much easier if it wasn't 40 500 miles to the north.

of course I want Bos to score. I want everyone to. It seems he's saying Noone gets any snow

That's not true and I'm not being a Debbie. You and Will should be cold enough for snow.

I just have a weird feeling about this whole evolution, but perhaps it's all for

Nothing. I don't like these subtle trends in all models right now. You just have to worry about moisture, but for here it's a double edged sword about temps and moisture.

Guys right or wrong, here's my thought. 

One of the huge issues between the GFS/stink camps and the hit camps was what happened over the southern Delmarva last night.  That's where this big gap broke in the precip on the later SREFs.   Related obviously to what is going on offshore and the transfer from Ohio.

These maps are a pretty rough illustration, coupled with the 6 hour totals.   The GFS and SREF donut hole is tenuous at best.   I would venture to say the GFS missed the "firehose" that came in off the Atlantic across the eastern Maryland shore.  NAM was over .75 there, and that's what fell in a narrow band.  GFS was roughly under .5 in areas that were over .80.  Look particularly south of Salsbury MD.  The GFS really wanted to split up the firehose their earlier.

At the same time the NAM was too extensive with the precip.  This is a tightly banded bugger. 

Surface low position is a compromise of all the models.  The Euro/NAM were best based on the SPC stuff as to where the low was at 12z, but it's also a little more elongated to the SE like the GFS. 

Long story short I don't think the wetter models were terrible, the extent may be overdone which has been the case with the banding in PA.  At the same time I am fairly certain the GFS was too light by a decent margin in some critical areas, namely it broke up the firehose over the Delmarva which doesn't appear to have been the case in favor of a convective blob offshore, and the band near Richmond.

I don't see that the Euro was that bad to be honest, nor say the RGEM/CMC.

post-3232-0-23045800-1362575340_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-94139300-1362575350_thumb.jp

One thing that I think is more clear on the NAM vs reality than the Euro vs reality...the NAM was far too wet "inland" with the hose.  West of the Delmarva it was likely overdone. 

Also note the placement of the low on the SPC meso, and their couple of hour forecast.  The gFS shifted that low offshore jumping SE.   The SPC, NAM, Euro and RGEM are NW of that position along Ches. Bay, not moving it offshore. 

992 is about the lowest I could find on the mesonet.  I'm not a huge believer that pressure matters a ton, but there's no doubt the GFS is 4-5 mb too high.  That would be a little south of the Euro position, not a ton but maybe 25 miles.   Somewhere between the GFS/NAM-Euro.

The big difference in these models occurs as the low crosses the coast from land to water.  The GFS just falls apart kind of disrupting the firehose enough that it never gets going again.  That does seem like an error to me, but with the expectation that at least the NAM was overdone.

if I didn't know better I wouldn't think that the RGEM/Euro were all that bad.

Archived