Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is hideous

GFS went well north with the lakes s/w, well south with the s/w off the coast.  It sucks, it's consistency is terrible, but it did move towards the Euro.  Something to watch closely as the Euro comes in but I wouldn't even bat an eyelash if the Euro came in somewhere near the RGEM/NAM, old Euro.

The GFS really kind of caved to the Euro type idea, just didn't quite get there.

Look at how radically it changed at 500mb between 57 and 69 hours...that's a huge step towards what the Euro had with the total recognition that the Euro is likely to move some too.

Could this be another storm where the system phase-type changes, sort of what happened a few weeks ago?    jmo this will probably come down to a pivoting inverted trough or etc. meso feature to get the job done (verify those already lofty forecasted #s and expectations), it appears.

we'll see what the euro shows but it wasn't a good thing to see both the 00z NAM and the GFS show a less robust lakes shortwave which doens't phase in...thus the upper level just got keeps trucking ENE.

That's pretty much exactly what the earlier Euro showed.  Like I said, the Euro is a moving target too and I understand that, but the GFS just made a huge leap closer to what the Euro was depicting aloft. 

12z Euro, 0z GFS and 18z GFS for the same time period.

A compromise of the CMC, Euro ENS and even a trimmed down NAM seems fine.  The GFS is the model everyone smashes all winter long until tonight.  The GFS has a steeper approach in the lakes like the earlier Euro and pulled the system further SW (slower than the earlier run offshore) closer to the Euro.

It's just significantly weaker with both systems suddenly. Something that started at 18z, it's either really onto something or it's the GFS doing it's magic.

post-3232-0-92919800-1362542084_thumb.jp

I think chances are low of getting 8" this far west. But an interesting look at this winter if somehow we get 8" here.. as horrible this winter has been it would be my 4th storm at or over 8".. pretty good year.. first significant snow Nov7th and and last significant snow March 7th would have 120 days in between and 85" for the year.. again if I get 8"+ which is very unlikely.. 

You guys have the advanced tools.  Take a look at the 0z Euro/12z Euro layed over the 0z GFS.   It's pretty much split down the middle of those two. 

The biggest difference I see is the 00z GFS between 36-42, it almost collapses the ULL ESE whereas the 12z Euro really drives it north which smokes E SNE with that firehose. They are quite similar up to that point.

The biggest difference I see is the 00z GFS between 36-42, it almost collapses the ULL ESE whereas the 12z Euro really drives it north which smokes E SNE with that firehose. They are quite similar up to that point.

That's the issue. It effectively keeps the TROWAL/frontogenesis offshore and never is able to scoot it up here. 

Not much wiggle room when you're so far north from the ULL. 

With the somewhat unusual setup compared to more big SNE storms we're really relying on getting that frontogenesis and low level warm advection to get stuff going. 

This is obviously a dramatically different setup but the GFS did something very similar with the blizzard at this range. It kept shunting precip SE and giving an overall meh look all the way until very close range (<24 hr) and even then it was woefully too low with QPF.

Just a flag for me regarding the GFS. Who knows maybe it'll be right here but the progressive bias that we've seen with other big storms is certainly a big flag for me.

Will here's another one...value your input.

Take a look at the 0z UK vs the 0z NAM below.   The UK has rushed both features each run only to back off.  You can do the copy/paste overlay on the meteocentre site.  This morning the UK was WAY too fast and weak in the north, and too far east in the south.  It adjusted back again so they're "Close" at 24 hours...but off it rushes again very quickly after that with the gap building every 12 hours.  IMO it's probably not right.

You can do the same thing on meteocentre to see how much the UK has come off it's 12z idea.  I do believe the GFS and UK are playing catchup the question is how far does the Euro move towards them?

post-3232-0-29306900-1362543020_thumb.gi

This is obviously a dramatically different setup but the GFS did something very similar with the blizzard at this range. It kept shunting precip SE and giving an overall meh look all the way until very close range (<24 hr) and even then it was woefully too low with QPF.

Just a flag for me regarding the GFS. Who knows maybe it'll be right here but the progressive bias that we've seen with other big storms is certainly a big flag for me.

The GFS has almost always been just horrific in huge storms inside 48 hours...we'll see if this is the case again. It lead the trend in getitng us into the game at 72-96 hours (unusual for the GFS to do that too)...but almost every huge storm it chokes pretty bad inside 48 hours, I'm not sure why. It was the leading guilty culprit in the 2/10/10 bust. It sucked in the blizzard, it was pretty bad in 1/12/11, and it was awful in 2/5/10 even though we were a non-factor in that, it kept hitting NYC hard.....however it did very well in Boxing Day, that was an exception. Led most guidance in that one right up until the start, even showing the nasty dryslot over SNE while the Euro didn't.

We'll see if this is another case where the GFS wins inside of 48 hours, but I'm always going to be skeptical of it until there is good reason not to be.

Archived