Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rgem is huge

I hope when I say "it's like the Euro" people realize I'm not saying exactly.  It's as close as we can ever expect models to be at 48 realizing this is still a moving target on the Euro too...and the euro will have movement in each run.

It's very, very similar...firehose is aimed into eastern areas with cold temps.  It's a huge, huge hit.

The NY stuff is further E...it gets engulfed in the SNE stuff like the Euro had. It helps save the CT valley a bit in MA later in the storm...but they are still shadowed big time.

The shadowing in the valley is ridiculous on the NAM (although hilarious that it includes Mt. Tolland). While the winds at 850mb are strong out of the east the winds in the boundary layer will be far more northerly. I really don't see shadowing being a huge issue with this down this way - the bigger issue will be the best lift and frontogenesis staying well east. 

What the phuck is up with that sounding.

I'm getting some inconsistencies on the FRH grid that doesn't support the synoptic evolution/showing...  There are no 900 and 800mb intervals with a temperature that even makes it to 0C, yet the 850mb chart shows the 0C 850 half way to Buffalo.   Unless there is an uber thin later between the 900 and 800mb levels, somethings is amiss

Well I am completely bi-polar on what to do with this damn thing...

1/2 of me thinks we get a 48 hour Nor'easter with a CCB that makes up climatologically for the fact that we've gone a few years without a bona fide one (though perhaps this season notwithstanding)

1/2 of me thinks there are too many theoretical breakdowns and inconsistencies, and this can't happen this way.   

I'm completely useless here -

I'm getting some inconsistencies on the FRH grid that doesn't support the synoptic evolution/showing...  There are no 900 and 800mb intervals with a temperature that even makes it to 0C, yet the 850mb chart shows the 0C 850 half way to Buffalo.   Unless there is an uber thin later between the 900 and 800mb levels, somethings is amiss

Yeah peeking at FOUS you'd think nothing like it shows. Nothing ever goes above 0c once it cranks.

Looks better than 12z.

Yeah still not epic, but a lot better than 12z. Prob a pretty big snowstorm, but likely mostly under 12" amounts. But a step toward the Euro...almost catches that trailing s/w but not quite and the front runner escapes.

Yikes, at 18 hours or so before the snow starts, NAM is a foot plus for here, the GFS is some non accumulating flurries. The difference is shocking... The EURO will settle it, but I think the NAM might actually pull a win, the GFS seems totally out to lunch... NAM probably too overdone with the QPF, but the EURO looked more like the NAM than the GFS, so think the 4-6" call by Upton is reasonable pending EURO.  Oh well, not staying up to find out what EURO thinks, good luck to all, until the morning, so long!

Ugh...who knew the Blizz would be the easiest storm to forecast this winter? Thinking 4-8" for the Merrimack Valley, 8-12"+ for ORH county, but would most definitely be on the lowest part of those ranges if the GFS verified. Night all.

Archived