BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nam has pushed 850s to Fairbanks for the last 4 runs and no one else is remotely close. What gives?

The sfc temps are in the 20s here while it does that, lol...18" of snow followed by pellets and an ice storm? NAM is a fun model.

The nam has pushed 850s to Fairbanks for the last 4 runs and no one else is remotely close. What gives?

I don't know.  When you overlay the 0z NAM vs the 12z Eur on wunder the only real difference is the Euro pinched off the ULL a smidge NW of the NAM (Nam has a kink there though) and the Euro/GFS are faster with the s/w energy diving down.  The NAM is speeding up each run.  But I cannot explain it, weird.

IVT cranking, 850s still east......1.5 qpf, epic run out this way, too bad its the nam, but absolutely beautiful to look at just wow.

Rates are still pretty meh. That worries me. Never really gets much above 0.15 inches per 3 hours. I'd much rather see a big 3-6 hour thump bookended by weaker stuff. 

NAM is really cold at surface for most of western CT

It is. I think the "warm surface" "March sun angle" kind of stuff is overdone. For most of the event the issue will be weak/meager lift back this way not producing a whole hell of a lot. 

Rates are still pretty meh. That worries me. Never really gets much above 0.15 inches per 3 hours. I'd much rather see a big 3-6 hour thump bookended by weaker stuff. 

It is. I think the "warm surface" "March sun angle" kind of stuff is overdone. For most of the event the issue will be weak/meager lift back this way not producing a whole hell of a lot. 

True I think we will nowcast tomorrow night.. A 12 hour window between 7pm-7am If we get some good bands coming through then we will cash in.. but really only a 12 hour window for accumulating snows.. the rest of the storm is all irrelevant.. 

True I think we will nowcast tomorrow night.. A 12 hour window between 7pm-7am If we get some good bands coming through then we will cash in.. but really only a 12 hour window for accumulating snows.. the rest of the storm is all irrelevant.. 

Yeah... with snow on the ground... I could even see a window of accumulating snow during the day Thursday as well. 

Long duration and low impact. 

That's .3 per 6 hours, which I think should do it. With this type of heavy, wet snow, I think 1/2" per hour should be enough to stick, and, atleast for here, I think it's cold enough to not melt on the ground. Slow accumulation, but accumulation none the less. You're the pro though, and know far more than I do though...

-skisheep

If I get a top 3 snowstorm, I'll give Rollo my degree.

You can keep it, if I wanted one I'd have gotten it already!

I said a moderate confidence and amended after looking at the top 10 totals.  HPC roughly the I95 corridor/just west in the 20-40% range for 18+.   That's about 18" more than most of you guys were thinking were even possible when you were desperately hugging the Euro and bashing the storm idea. :santa:

When everyone was smashing the GFS storm we were bear hugging the Euro below.

PF, I'd forecast what NOAA is forecasting.  That's all that is necessary at this point in time as it's significant enough to take notice and make preparations given the winds, wet snow potential and seas.  If the 0z Euro comes in anywhere near the earlier run I'd probably double what NOAA has at least from Boston to PVD (my old stomping grounds) and towards Will and down to Ginxy.

post-3232-0-77663000-1362537945_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-06494600-1362538088_thumb.jp

That's .3 per 6 hours, which I think should do it. With this type of heavy, wet snow, I think 1/2" per hour should be enough to stick, and, atleast for here, I think it's cold enough to not melt on the ground. Slow accumulation, but accumulation none the less. You're the pro though, and know far more than I do though...

-skisheep

Well it's not just whether or not it accumulates it's whether or not it occurs. The precipitation back this way, within an area of weaker lift from a a myriad of forcing mechanisms, may be more spotty/banded/or just not occur. 

Archived