Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least it was posted watches were coming now almost an hour ago, lol

Well, one should wait for the watches to actually go up before saying anything -  geez

and what's with this he said, she said first crap.  does anyone really think they are getting credit for anything around here?   

Pretty much as soon as the guy from York came in and crapped on our parade this morning, every single piece of guidance has turned whiter.  Hopefully he comes back around 9pm

Moderate confidence in a top 3 snowstorm Boston to Providence.  1 more run to raise the weenie flag.

Right now I like NOAA's map.

There is some remote chance of a top 3 snowstorm for that corridor, which is saying a lot considering that lofty threshold and the length of recorded snowfall history.  But I think moderate confidence probably overstates the likelihood... just my opinion.  I can dream how this works out perfectly but I can lucidly see a dozen ways BOS stays below 6".

You know what this impending bust reminds me of - oh, stop it!  It's transparently predictable to the point of an insult...   It reminds me of Princess Bride:

Count Forecast models: [admiring its torture contraption] Beautiful isn't it? It took me half a lifetime to invent it. I'm sure you've discovered my deep and abiding interest in pain. Presently I'm writing the definitive work on the subject, so I want you to be totally honest with me on how the machine makes you feel. This being our first try, I'll use the lowest setting. 
[Count Forecast models activates the water powered torture machine. American Weather's New England contingent writhes in great pain
Count Forecast models: [calmly] As you know, the concept of the suction pump is centuries old. Really that's all this is except that instead of sucking water, I'm sucking life. I've just sucked one year of your life away. I might one day go as high as five, but I really don't know what that would do to you. So, let's just start with what we have. What did this do to you? Tell me. And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel? 
[American Weather's New England contingent cries and moans in pain
Count Forecast models: Interesting.

With those maps...I honestly think that some of the low totals is because they don't want to jump from 1-3" to 12+" in a few hours. Depending on 00z runs, I could see higher totals at 11.

I agree.  Don't want to seem too jumpy by going too low and then too high.  Best to slowly ramp up.  WCVB's map looks tasty though!

With those maps...I honestly think that some of the low totals is because they don't want to jump from 1-3" to 12+" in a few hours. Depending on 00z runs, I could see higher totals at 11.

Well they will probably be forced to put higher totals out by 11 if early 00z data comes in just as robust as the Euro.

Well they will probably be forced to put higher totals out by 11 if early 00z data comes in just as robust as the Euro.

Yeah...agreed. Slowly ramping up I bet. At 11 they will say something to the effect of "New data continues to ramp up snowfall totals, so we have an updated snowfall map to show". 

Enjoy the storm, hope my house gets crushed! (Well, kind of.)

There is some remote chance of a top 3 snowstorm for that corridor, which is saying a lot considering that lofty threshold and the length of recorded snowfall history.  But I think moderate confidence probably overstates the likelihood... just my opinion.  I can dream how this works out perfectly but I can lucidly see a dozen ways BOS stays below 6".

definitely JMHO and I regretted saying it after I did.  The Euro has had a tendency to stuff ULL's too far SW most of the winter.  If that's playing out this time you end up with the GFS solution with everything getting a bit further NE.

we'll have to watch and see how that plays out.  The 18z GFS doesn't fujiwhara at all, it cuts a hole in the atmosphere with the first ULL and it just sits and spins eventually absorbing the diving s/w.  If I had to take a pick I'd go with something closer to the Euro but toned down a little.

Archived