• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

Makes sense 6-8 but no watch lol. At any rate this is going to be a fun 60 hours. Our favorite thing is long duration snowstorms. Nothing better. Days and days of snow

BOS is also 6-8 but not too far away it's more. Not typical in late season events so I'd hedge to the higher numbers if they actually occur in the Cambridge/Newton/Brookline belt for BOS as well.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seriously. it's insane. 

the euro feeds in so much low level cold that it's a 31-34F paste job along the coast...but that continuous drainage enhances the low level instability and the profile never inverts...so not only is it more snow...it's probably more wind as well. 

There is definitely high bust potential in both directions...some of the way the Euro turns the whole deep layer flow E and then ENE to NE just crushing E MA/RI is pretty insane. The upslope here on that would be awesome too. It would probably produce widespread 12-20" totals and even higher in spots.

OTOH, I can see the whole thing not materializing coherently and we see a long duration shredded event that gives a few spots 6" of slop and the rest is a nuisance advisory junk event.

BOS is also 6-8 but not too far away it's more. Not typical in late season events so I'd hedge to the higher numbers if they actually occur in the Cambridge/Newton/Brookline belt for BOS as well.

Well I think amounts would be pretty close across the city. I don't take those maps verbatim because sometimes they get too cute with amounts.

There is definitely high bust potential in both directions...some of the way the Euro turns the whole deep layer flow E and then ENE to NE just crushing E MA/RI is pretty insane. The upslope here on that would be awesome too. It would probably produce widespread 12-20" totals and even higher in spots.

OTOH, I can see the whole thing not materializing coherently and we see a long duration shredded event that gives a few spots 6" of slop and the rest is a nuisance advisory junk event.

The shredded look is probably my worst fear, that goes ahead of temps IMO. We are close enough to start hitting it harder, but just enough time exists for models to come in a little more disorganized. At least most models display enough 6hrly QPF to make things interesting here.

Pretty much as soon as the guy from York came in and crapped on our parade this morning, every single piece of guidance has turned whiter.  Hopefully he comes back around 9pm

Moderate confidence in a top 3 snowstorm Boston to Providence.  1 more run to raise the weenie flag.

Right now I like NOAA's map.

This is epically true, and echoes the same concern I just made a moment ago.  

Very unusual to see so much QPF being generated that far NW of the system.  

What  ... is there some kind of anomalous frontogenic signature here?  

What's the trigger?   There does appear to be an anomalous easterly flow at

500mb, which is sometimes sited in reanalysis of interesting events - who knows...

MODELS APPEAR TO BE STRUGGLING WITH THE ANOMALOUS HIGH AMPLITUDE

REX- BLOCK OVER SOUTHEAST CANADA/NEW ENGLAND. NOW DESPITE DOMESTIC

MODEL SIMULATIONS SAYING EXCESSIVE QPF FOR INTERIOR SOUTHERN NEW

ENGLAND...PATTERN RECOGNITION AND AMPLITUDE OF BLOCK PATTERN

INDICATES A RED FLAG FOR A MORE SUPPRESSED/OFSHR/COLDER SOLUTION

SIMILAR TO THE 00Z ECMWF/UKMET AND GGEM. THIS SOLUTION PLACES A

SHARP QPF GRADIENT ACROSS EASTERN CT INTO NE MA. THUS A SOUTHEAST

SHIFT OF 50-75 MILE PLACES THE HEAVY QPF GRADIENT ALONG THE COAST.

HENCE BIG BUST POTENTIAL HERE.

This is epically true, and echoes the same concern I just made a moment ago.  Very unusual to see so much QPF being generated that far NW of the system.  What  ... is there some kind of anomalous frontogenic signature here?  What's the trigger?   There does appear to be an anomalous easterly flow at 500mb, which is sometimes sited in reanalysis of interesting events - who knows...MODELS APPEAR TO BE STRUGGLING WITH THE ANOMALOUS HIGH AMPLITUDEREX- BLOCK OVER SOUTHEAST CANADA/NEW ENGLAND. NOW DESPITE DOMESTICMODEL SIMULATIONS SAYING EXCESSIVE QPF FOR INTERIOR SOUTHERN NEWENGLAND...PATTERN RECOGNITION AND AMPLITUDE OF BLOCK PATTERNINDICATES A RED FLAG FOR A MORE SUPPRESSED/OFSHR/COLDER SOLUTIONSIMILAR TO THE 00Z ECMWF/UKMET AND GGEM. THIS SOLUTION PLACES ASHARP QPF GRADIENT ACROSS EASTERN CT INTO NE MA. THUS A SOUTHEASTSHIFT OF 50-75 MILE PLACES THE HEAVY QPF GRADIENT ALONG THE COAST.HENCE BIG BUST POTENTIAL HERE.

Written in the wee hours 12 hours ago.

Hmm, didn't work -

LOL.

GFS is coming in more aggressive with the s/w angle along the Canadian border.  One of your fetishes may have bared fruit here, maybe more complete sampling as it came ashore.

Editing because I was actually looking at the NAM..whoops.  As it turns out the GFS is a little more intense too.

Archived