• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

We've (NW NE) missed pretty much every large storm up here...and yet somehow are over 80" with solid snowpack since Dec 16th.

I can only imagine what this winter could've been with a couple of these big hits. Probably similar to 10-11's 150" in town.

The biggest issue here is we lost the snow pack after just about every storm up here, So its made the winter as a whole below avg, We should have anywhere from 18-24" of snow pack during the winter, We may have avg 10", And its at 8" now with a lot of bare areas

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I've ever seen a 1-county watch from gyx before.

I'm a bigger fan of this view. It looks awfully lonely up there by itself.

Our forecast wasn't as time intensive as our neighbors to the south, so we just happened to get our products out quicker. It will be a brutal cutoff tough.

At 66 hours, the NAM 2m temps are like 27-28F here, lol...despite the mid-levels torching. That would be an interesting finish to the storm. 20" of snow followed by a few pellets and then glazing everything with a quarter inch of ice.

The NAM never fails to entertain.

Then you will ice skate on top of two feet of snow.  We call that Creme Brulee.

Can't win them all.  Accuweather put up 3-6; 4-8 on the PAC.

OT - funny to see the clouds coming from up north going down south.

They must be basing it off the GFS, Like i had said, If it verified we would see those totals plus in all likelihood

18z NAM is wet, but warm ... to the tune of half or more of the total QPF falling as liquid for eastern zones. 

I'm puzzled as to why there is so much QPF being persistently modeled by multiple sources, so far NW of a storm that's straddling 36N.   Be that as it awkwardly may be, ... I guess we got to go with it.  But if every model busted too wet in this thing, it wouldn't be a shocker. 

My gut feeling tells me to take every model run type there is, lay them out, and pick the top 3 attributes of each you like the least (and by like I mean, "like" in the sense of what you least WANT to see happen), combine them all into one virtual run, and that will be what verifies.   ;)

attachicon.gif3-5-2013 2-45-52 PM.png

I'm a bigger fan of this view. It looks awfully lonely up there by itself.

Our forecast wasn't as time intensive as our neighbors to the south, so we just happened to get our products out quicker. It will be a brutal cutoff tough.

There is a model, somewhere, that supports that singular watch up there in S NH.

18z NAM is wet, but warm ... to the tune of half or more of the total QPF falling as liquid for eastern zones. 

I'm puzzled as to why there is so much QPF being persistently modeled by multiple sources, so far NW of a storm that's straddling 36N.   Be that as it awkwardly may be, ... I guess we got to go with it.  But if every model busted too wet in this thing, it wouldn't be shocker. 

My gut feeling tells me to take every model run type there is, lay them out, and pick the top 3 attributes of each you like the least (and by like I mean, "like" in the sense of what you least WANT to see happen), combine them all into one virtual run, and that will be what verifies.   ;)

Yeah, the distance/disjoint is just really difficult to buy into, even only a day and change away from alleged onset.

Makes sense 6-8 but no watch lol. At any rate this is going to be a fun 60 hours. Our favorite thing is long duration snowstorms. Nothing better. Days and days of snow

They have to have 50% confidence of more than 6" (in 12 hours or less...otherwise its over 8") for over half of the county to put a watch up there. If they could issue just a watch for Tolland at 1,000 feet, I"m sure they would. But that isn't how it works.

this could actually be the most verified headliner from this thing...

...HIGH RISK OF COASTAL FLOODING AND SEVERE BEACH EROSION DURINGTHE HIGH TIDES FROM THURSDAY MORNING TO FRIDAY MORNING....MODERATE WITH EVEN POCKETS OF MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING IS POSSIBLEALONG THE MASSACHUSETTS EAST COAST. THE STORM SURGE IS PROJECTEDTO BE 2.5 TO 3 FEET MOST EAST COAST LOCATIONS FROM LATE WEDNESDAYNIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. WAVES OFFSHORE WILL LIKELY REACH 25TO 30 FEET. THIS COULD BECOME A DANGEROUS COASTAL FLOOD SITUATIONESPECIALLY SINCE MANY AREAS ARE STILL VULNERABLE AFTER THEFEBRUARY 9 STORM TIDE.

Yep, maybe another 6 day outage for my folks lol.

seriously. it's insane. 

the euro feeds in so much low level cold that it's a 31-34F paste job along the coast...but that continuous drainage enhances the low level instability and the profile never inverts...so not only is it more snow...it's probably more wind as well. 

They have to have 50% confidence of more than 6" (in 12 hours or less...otherwise its over 8") for over half of the county to put a watch up there. If they could issue just a watch for Tolland at 1,000 feet, I"m sure they would. But that isn't how it works.

No I know. But the vast majority of Tolland County is elevated. Only as you get to extreme western area near valley it lowers.. Not a big deal other than semantics. But with the Euro getting 1.5 to BDL if also include HFD county.

Archived