BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the confidence in the euro's accuracy at this time frame/in this setup?

Usually very high. OVerall confidence though in this whole storm evolution remains fairly low though. Its going to be a difficult storm to forecast. I am encouraged a lot by the fact the Euro made a definitive nudge to the northwest/juicier after we saw the Ukie/GFS come SE. Euro once in this time frame (despite its earlier struggles) should be able to take over the reins pretty competently, but I think there is still a fairly wide range of possibilities even at this point in the game.

Usually very high. OVerall confidence though in this whole storm evolution remains fairly low though. Its going to be a difficult storm to forecast. I am encouraged a lot by the fact the Euro made a definitive nudge to the northwest/juicier after we saw the Ukie/GFS come SE. Euro once in this time frame (despite its earlier struggles) should be able to take over the reins pretty competently, but I think there is still a fairly wide range of possibilities even at this point in the game.

Anticipation grows for the 18z runs.  Anything that's not like the EC's going to get tossed and anything that is will be given AWT.  Mark my words.

Can't say I've ever seen HPC snow progs discussed like they are now. Good job pickles.

It is kind of funny that HPC has 5+% probabilities for 30" or snow or greater in areas that the TV people in boston had in rain showers.  I find that amusing.

And that we still have not so much as a watch or advisory, HAHA.  I know it's coming at 4pm.

wow, HPC has 50% chance of 8” here in 48 hours days 2-3.” They must be thinking either this comes more NW, or they think the inverted trough on the EURO is legit. Hey, we have a 1% shot at 24” according to them, maybe this is that one in a hundred time that the unthinkable happens? :)

EDIT: That was when the GFS was onboard at 0z. Who knows now? checking shortly...

-skisheep

Matt Noyes tweet 1 hour ago.

So...when making a forecast, one regular stop for me is to determine the outcome of similar previous storms. I don't always share these comparisons, as there is danger in singling out specific storms, and I surely don't base forecasts entirely on these comparisons. That said, it's interesting to note that when matched against history, mean snowfall amounts in New England with storms similar to our midweek storm were on the order of four to six inches for the vast majority of Central and Southern New England. That said, a lot of detail can be lost in the "mean," or average; for instance, some similar storms brought nothing, others over 18" of snow. Through all of this garble, we can derive probabilities - based solely on history and similar storms, here are is the chances of various accumulations verifying somewhere in Central and Southern New England:
•2" of snow: 80%
•4" of snow: 50%
•6" of snow: 45%
•8" of snow: 40%
•12" of snow: 30%
•18" of snow: 15%
•24" of snow: less than 10%

Putting all of this together, it becomes clear that an event with average amounts of greater than 8" is far less likely - not impossible, but sharply less likely - than an event of less than 8" of snow. Historically, the greatest amounts were found in the higher terrain of Southern Vermont, Western MA and Southwest NH, with a secondary, lesser maximum in the Worcester Hills. Interestingly, another secondary maximum shows up over Southeast MA and Cape Cod, likely owing to the storms that produced heaviest precipitation there while sliding southeast.

Though this won't be the final forecast, it's always helpful to see where history suggests we'll fall.

Hey guys, I posted this in the banter thread too...but it applies for here more so since more people are posting in here:

Yes, I'm going to use this as an opprtunity to tell people to post more in the storm banter thread (specifically created for this threat) if it is not direct model/pattern/storm analysis in this thread. Talking about storm impact is OK too I think....but the general banter of "is my flight going to be canceled" and that kind of stuff should go into the banter thread.

Now that we are starting to get closer to the event and since the Euro just dumped a huge snowstorm on a large chunk of SNE, we want to keep the content in here more pure as the post rate will likely be increasing between now and tomorrow.

HPC down to 30% for 8”, 50% for 6” in 24 hours for here. 48 hours are not out yet. More bullish than I expected, don’t know where that 6” comes from unless they think the EURO isn’t done coming NW, but they usually know their stuff over there and don’t just rip and read, so it’s hard to ignore.

-skisheep

*fwiw* which isn't too much at all.

euro weenie snow maps are a foot everywhere east of 395/ORH area to CHH. 18"+ for all of RI up to BOS and back to 495 and down to the canal. weenie bullseye of 2' just SW of BOS 

How about SNH?  Seems to get forgotten in the mix..;P

Archived