BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEFS mirror the OP with the shift east/southeast. They really don't help us, they always seem to copy the OP once close enough in

12zgfsensemblep72072.gif

Do you honestly think that rates would be robust enough to drop 1' of cement around here should these solutions come to pass?

I honestly hope not....having car trouble and am getting rides to work...

I agree with you.

In which post have I whined?

Apparently being skeptical of heavy snows constitues being a "debby"...It's ok to disagree.

Not specifically you but when people expect heavy snows and the model shows/does not show it and they they go off.

You can be skeptical of it as I am and you and not portray it in an emotional way.  That's all I'm saying.

Do you honestly think that rates would be robust enough to drop 1' of cement around here should these solutions come to pass?

I honestly hope not....having car trouble and am getting rides to work...

I think you would accumulate fine if we get over 1 inch of liquid equivalent. It might be more like 6-10" of cement but it will accumulate if these profiles are correct. Perhaps they verify warmer and its 2" of slop...or we just don't end up getting into that firehose. That's another possibility.

GEFS mirror the OP with the shift east/southeast. They really don't help us, they always seem to copy the OP once close enough in

Agreed.  As I said several times previously (with Tip's erroneous disagreement), the GEFS have clustered around and shifted with the OP inside 3 days this entire winter.  That significantly limits their usefulness. 

I dunno if people want to rip and read QPF output that's fine. There's a chance it verifies. I just don't like the look. Not sure what else there is to add. 

Meteorology, not modelology.

The funny thing is, in some events the folks ripping and reading the QPF now, will end up telling you not to rip and read QPF and go with synoptics when the QPF numbers get down into the 0.1-0.25" range, lol.

I think you would accumulate fine if we get over 1 inch of liquid equivalent. It might be more like 6-10" of cement but it will accumulate if these profiles are correct. Perhaps they verify warmer and its 2" of slop...or we just don't end up getting into that firehose. That's another possibility.

It would be cool to drop a 10-spot, while rev smokes mangled flakes, and drizzle :lol:

The funny thing is, in some events the folks ripping and reading the QPF now, will end up telling you not to rip and read QPF and go with synoptics when the QPF numbers get down into the 0.1-0.25" range, lol.

Can't win. Rip and read QPF when it's big... use meteorology when QPF is low. 

Agreed.  As I said several times previously (with Tip's erroneous disagreement), the GEFS have clustered around and shifted with the OP inside 3 days this entire winter.  That significantly limits their usefulness. 

Yeah pretty much not worth looking at...just look at the OP run and that's all you need to see with the GFS suite. The ensembles will look pretty close to it once inside of 3-4 days it seems.

I'm pretty much ignoring NCEP guidance from here on in except maybe the NAM/SREF once we get to about 24 hours out.

Yea sub par here also of course, but its all white and probably averages 8 inches in the woods. 

Seems like I'm driving into the coastal plain when I drive a mere 10 miles down into the Schenectady area. I was walking across a lawn near the State Library in Albany the other day and the ground felt squishy underfoot. Maybe they don't even have much frost in it. We have a pretty good frost in ours because of all those sub zero mornings with minimal snowcover.

4 days of winter, 120 days of fail.  2nd worst winter of my lifetime behind last year in NYC.  Chilly, cloudy, and muddy day after day.

Can't win. Rip and read QPF when it's big... use meteorology when QPF is low. 

What about when QPF is over 2" for my area?  Is it meh?  What's the meteorology behind the minimal snow #'s being thrown out there for E areas?  Some are saying zilch as far as accumulations go.

What about when QPF is over 2" for my area?  Is it meh?  What's the meteorology behind the minimal snow #'s being thrown out there for E areas?  Some are saying zilch as far as accumulations go.

TBH I haven't really looked closely at your area. 

Funny thing is GGEM rips ENE

Boston TV could save a lot of money, just hire an actor that hits the clicker so the RPM rolls across the screen.  I never complain, but we're reaching all time new lows.

I just watched an identical product on 5 and 4.

The weird thing is they should be hammering epic totals for the 495 belt and out to ORH if they are hugging the RPM...but they aren't hammering totals anywhere. Might be a good forecast to keep it conservative, but they should at least explain potential.

The weird thing is they should be hammering epic totals for the 495 belt and out to ORH if they are hugging the RPM...but they aren't hammering totals anywhere. Might be a good forecast to keep it conservative, but they should at least explain potential.

Yep.  I think we're figuring out how critical it is to have a Barry Burbank, Harv type guy in the mix and to his credit Bouchard.  Clearly the others just follow their lead.

Yea sub par here also of course, but its all white and probably averages 8 inches in the woods. 

Seems like I'm driving into the coastal plain when I drive a mere 10 miles down into the Schenectady area. I was walking across a lawn near the State Library in Albany the other day and the ground felt squishy underfoot. Maybe they don't even have much frost in it. We have a pretty good frost in ours because of all those sub zero mornings with minimal snowcover.

Yeah I've noticed good snow retention up your way despite missing the bullseyes.  Down in the valley is feels like a lower Westchester Co winter minus the coastal noreasters. 

Archived