BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GGEM looks a bit better than last night...its the other model aside from the Euro that has made only small trends in this system from run to run...its been inching north like the Euro. Hasn't had any wild swings yet (at least in the past 4 or 5 runs)

Not sure if it means anything down the road but Indianapolis was forecasting 3-6'' some models up to 8. But its been 36 and rain all morning which is not what's forrcasted

FWIW I pulled up 18z NAM forecast ptype and compared to ptype radar. Looks like the NAM was right on. Not sure what other models showed for that area, though.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/WXTYPE/nerad25.jpg

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NAMSFC4_18z/cloop.html

As usual Ray is jackpotted on the Euro and GFS and he is Debbie

I'm seriously miffed at some of the comments in here.  What are peoples expectations with this?  Even if it ends up a 3-6" type deal, that is not meh in my book.  I'm in the 2-4" expectation world right now, even though a lot of guidance is giving me 10-12"+.

no its noti checked their site. They have mixes precip becoming all snow. Their 850s are borderline however but plain rain wasnt forecasted.

Hi to the NE crowd.  Was surfing around and saw this and had to comment.   No surprises happening anywhere in the OH-IN-IL region right now.  As ORH mentioned, the main show for central IN thru OH isnt suppose to occur until this evening.

I dunno if people want to rip and read QPF output that's fine. There's a chance it verifies. I just don't like the look. Not sure what else there is to add. 

Yea....it's a mess...marginal, and dependant upon heavy rates, as guidance trends less amped.

Not the recipe for a major snow.

If you get 1.5" of QPF protracted over a 48 hour window, you aren't getting anywhere near 15" of snow lol...more like 5".

I'm seriously miffed at some of the comments in here. What are peoples expectations with this? Even if it ends up a 3-6" type deal, that is not meh in my book. I'm in the 2-4" expectation world right now, even though a lot of guidance is giving me 10-12"+.

It never bothers me I think 8-12 here

Yea....it's a mess...marginal, and dependant upon heavy rates, as guidance trends less amped.

Not the recipe for a major snow.

yeah any time a model nickle and dimes me to 1" of liquid spread out over 48 hours through 3 or 4 different mechanisms I say meh. 

Rollo rolling with it.

Will points out that the GGEM changes have been minor.  Pre-change it was one of my favorite this winter with the scrapers.  I'm a little edgy with it now post change as we have no track record.  Also, the Euro...like I said inside of 48-60 it will school every other model most of the time.  Has been woeful 72-100ish this winter with the scrapers but it's a recognizable flaw that we can plan on.

Take the 12z GGEM and Euro compromise, and I said that before I saw the GGEM.  Toss the NCEP stuff and the UK.

I'm seriously miffed at some of the comments in here.  What are peoples expectations with this?  Even if it ends up a 3-6" type deal, that is not meh in my book.  I'm in the 2-4" expectation world right now, even though a lot of guidance is giving me 10-12"+.

I'm just a little perplexed at the model bashing. 

Euro has been trending more robust for each of the last 4 cycles. GGEM has been gradually trending more robust.  GFS/SREFS are backing off somewhat from their ridiculous over the top solutions. Still looks good for eastern areas but a tight gradient to the W and NW.  BOX laid it out perfectly with their 3 scenarios. 

1. Warm and wet (looks like this one is least likely imo)

2. Cold and E MA jackpot (most models showing this)

3. Whiff SE

Looks like we're between 2 and 3 with most models agreeing on 2.

I agree with you.

In which post have I whined?

Apparently being skeptical of heavy snows constitues being a "debby"...It's ok to disagree.

Archived