BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking we have a 12 hour window in CT to really pick up our snow.. 7pm wednesday to 7am Thursday.. Sun is down and precip rates up.. That is the one positive factor, heaviest rates are at the perfect time with sunset/sunrise.. just put out a snowfall forecast for 4-8" statewide 8"+ northeast hills and northwest hills closer to 4" valley locations closer to 8" elevated areas and 8"+ in any heavier banding.. 

Interesting, I just read your forecast and BOX is even less enthused for you than OKX is for me, strange you would single out my location?  Good luck up there!

Joe, you really need to work on your reading comprehension skills.  I'm not sure how 6-12+" translated into "less enthused"

Here's what BOX actually said in their disco:

IN FACT 00Z ECMWF AND UKMET CONFINE HEAVY QPFSOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM BDL-ORH-MHT...WHICH FITS THE UPPER AIRPATTERN. STAKES ARE ALWAYS HIGH WHENEVER SHARP QPF AXIS CROSSESTHE AREA.GIVEN PATTERN RECOGNITION AND STRENGTH OF BLOCK WILL LEAN TOWARDTHE MORE SUPPRESSED/COLDER UKMET/ECMWF AND ITS ENSEMBLES ECENS.THIS FOCUSES THE HEAVY SNOW /6-12 INCHES POSSIBLY HIGHER/ THREATOVER NE CT-RI AND EASTERN MA.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MAZ015&warncounty=MAC025&firewxzone=MAZ015&local_place1=&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook

For those that are interested, here is their take for watches/warnings (expect probably around 4pm it seems like.

DEFINITELY CONCERNED REGARDING THE COLDER SOLUTION WITH HEAVY SNOWPOTENTIAL IN THE POPULATED I-95 CORRIDOR OF RI AND EASTERN MA.HIGHER UNCERTAINTY DOWN TOWARD CAPE COD GIVEN MARGINAL BLYR TEMPSWITH ONSHORE FLOW. HEAVY WET SNOW AND STRONG WINDS POSE A RISK FORPOWER OUTAGES.  HOWEVER CONFIDENCE NOT HIGH ENOUGH AT THIS TIME FORA 4TH-5TH PERIOD WATCH. THUS STILL SOME TIME TO NAIL DOWN THE EXACTTHREAT/RISK AREAS. AGAIN CONFIDENCE IS LOW GIVEN SURFACE AND MIDLEVEL CIRCULATION TRACK WELL SOUTH OF 40N!

Joe, you really need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I'm not sure how 6-12" translated into "less enthused"

Here's what BOX actually said in their disco:

IN FACT 00Z ECMWF AND UKMET CONFINE HEAVY QPF
SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM BDL-ORH-MHT...WHICH FITS THE UPPER AIR
PATTERN. STAKES ARE ALWAYS HIGH WHENEVER SHARP QPF AXIS CROSSES
THE AREA.

GIVEN PATTERN RECOGNITION AND STRENGTH OF BLOCK WILL LEAN TOWARD
THE MORE SUPPRESSED/COLDER UKMET/ECMWF AND ITS ENSEMBLES ECENS.
THIS FOCUSES THE HEAVY SNOW /6-12 INCHES POSSIBLY HIGHER/ THREAT
OVER NE CT-RI AND EASTERN MA.
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MAZ015&warncounty=MAC025&firewxzone=MAZ015&local_place1=&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook

Clearly his Spring fling is getting in the way.

I'll take that and run. 

As will I

I am thinking we have a 12 hour window in CT to really pick up our snow.. 7pm wednesday to 7am Thursday.. Sun is down and precip rates up.. That is the one positive factor, heaviest rates are at the perfect time with sunset/sunrise.. just put out a snowfall forecast for 4-8" statewide 8"+ northeast hills and northwest hills closer to 4" valley locations closer to 8" elevated areas and 8"+ in any heavier banding.. 

4" here sounds good, you have that even down here?

NAM is rolling, out to 21 now.

-skisheep

Looks good to me...agree on the night time thing too...

I'm going to be limited in posting because I'm away, but here is something I noticed on the euro. 925mb temps actually are near -4c from BOS to near BDL. They actually get advected in from the northeast. 850 temps near -8c also get advected in NW of BOS. That means Kevin and Will likely get a drier snow. It's also a red flag for the coast when you advect colder air from the northeast just aloft. Of course this is if the 00 euro is correct, but that certainly argues against liquid.

I'm going to be limited in posting because I'm away, but here is something I noticed on the euro. 925mb temps actually are near -4c from BOS to near BDL. They actually get advected in from the northeast. 850 temps near -8c also get advected in NW of BOS. That means Kevin and Will likely get a drier snow. It's also a red flag for the coast when you advect colder air from the northeast just aloft. Of course this is if the 00 euro is correct, but that certainly argues against liquid.

Thanks for the thoughts Scott. 

Looks like the NAM is going to come in less amplified looking at 5h.  Heights are lower ahead of ULL at 27h.  Looks pretty close to 06z location though.

Accuweather map, very unlike them in that it's actually reasonable and not totally hyped...

Aside from being too far west with the 6-12, and I'm not sure immediate NYC sees 3-6", other than that, good map.

-skisheep

post-12014-1362489850.jpg

Don't usually repost maps, just text, but... I really hope Accuweather is right this time. Snowboarding Friday, and a fresh six inches would make my day even more that snowboarding normally makes my day.

Yea Ryan and they are colder. Fluffy snow for Kev, wetter for me 8-12 seems a good start IMHO

The weird thing about the SREFs though.... if the 6z NAM was right (not saying it is) I probably wouldn't forecast more than 1"-3" or 2"-4" of snow anywhere in the state. The NAM was absolutely hideous. 

2+ on the 395 corridor. 

Looks like ~1"-1.25" for you

I'm sure most of you have this link, but this shows SE VT, where I am, well out of the high QPF zone. Days 1 to 3 QPF. I really don't know how to interpret all the models, so kind of keep it simple and let the experts here explain the Euro, etc.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/d13_fill.gif

Tried to upload the photo. How do we do that here? Thx.

Archived