• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

It's more likely to be colder for most locations if this comes further NW than the Euro. The problem is lack of dynamics, not 850s. 

Right, the storm itself needs to create is own power plant of cold air. I'm just happy it still needs to trend more to be perfect since we're 48 hours out and there's other models NW of it already.

Wonder if Mark Searles (NBC 10 RI) went to bed before the GFS. Hope he still likes his Complete Rain map.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the ggem is a bit more progressive and the firehose stays over extreme southeast mass.

A lot depends on how much the ULL swings north as it goes negative...sort of a half-fujiwara with the lakes shortwave.

A lot depends on how much the ULL swings north as it goes negative...sort of of half-fujiwara with the lakes shortwave.

It's going to be nice to have some elevation...I think you are pretty much golden for 8-12 in ORH...maybe a bit more due to upslope. East of you on the coastal plain is going to be a forecast nightmare I think for another day or so...I pretty much agree with scooter's and others earlier concerns.

From BOX Facebook:

"Ocean storm Wed-Fri showings signs of tracking farther ofshr. Hwr this is a colder scenario possibly supporting snowfall into RI & Ern MA."

Gotta love how they spin the EURO barely jumping aboard as the one possible snow scenario for SE SNE, they have been that afraid to jump at anything else that nothing the GFS said had them even mentioning the possibility to the "public". Gotta be more willing to sick your neck out there than that, either way, IMO.

A lot depends on how much the ULL swings north as it goes negative...sort of a half-fujiwara with the lakes shortwave.

i'd imagine there will be a sharp cut off somewhere as far S as the cape or as far north as Se Nh from that firehose

i remember that firehose on late feb 2010 that abs crushed RI for a while . the one where temps were like 37/36 in N ri and then 2 hrs later the firehose dynamically cool'd enuf so some body .........could streak thru diamond hill, ri on their b day.

From BOX Facebook:

"Ocean storm Wed-Fri showings signs of tracking farther ofshr. Hwr this is a colder scenario possibly supporting snowfall into RI & Ern MA."

Gotta love how they spin the EURO barely jumping aboard as the one possible snow scenario for SE SNE, they have been that afraid to jump at anything else that nothing the GFS said had them even mentioning the possibility to the "public". Gotta be more willing to sick your neck out there than that, either way, IMO.

seems like a disconnect between them and HPC.

HPC had 20% prob of 18 or more inches just west of boston (and i mean just a hair west) that's not a big longshot 72 hrs out (when maps were done)

It's going to be nice to have some elevation...I think you are pretty much golden for 8-12 in ORH...maybe a bit more due to upslope. East of you on the coastal plain is going to be a forecast nightmare I think for another day or so...I pretty much agree with scooter's and others earlier concerns.

Yeah for here, its just figuring out if we slow-burn our way to 6" or if we get firehosed out of the east to 18"...the CP is definitely a nightmare forecast right now. For BOS I could see them paste-bombing their way to 12" or pulling a March 1958 and getting 4" out of 1.90" of qpf (because the rates never get great).

1.6" of snow for 1.6" qpf?

Based on what I see in the UVV fields and CCB diagnostics, 3 hourly precip, and column temps I'd probably go 3-7" of snow for the majority of the city of boston despite higher qpf numbers. Plus, verbatim on the nam it's not all snow the whole time there. There will be a nice wintry appeal, but as far as adding up it will be real tough.

additional 15-25% cut in NAM qpf likely coming later today?  

Based on what I see in the UVV fields and CCB diagnostics, 3 hourly precip, and column temps I'd probably go 3-7" of snow for downtown boston despite higher qpf numbers. Plus, verbatim on the nam it's not all snow the whole time there. There will be a nice wintry appeal, but as far as adding up it will be real tough.

NO TWO EVENTS ARE IDENTICAL BUT THIS LOOKS A LOT LIKE 10 FEB 2010 SNOW BUST. DESPITE THIS OCEAN STORM EVOLVING INTO A VERY LARGE CIRCULATION/FIRE HOSE ALL MODEL GUIDANCE TRACKS MID LEVEL CIRCULATION WELL SOUTH NEW ENGLAND...ABOUT 36N LATITUDE! THUS HEAVIEST PERSISTENT BANDED QPF SHOULD REMAIN OFFSHORE OR ALONG THE IMMEDIATE COAST. IN FACT 00Z ECMWF AND UKMET CONFINE HEAVY QPF SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM BDL-ORH-MHT...WHICH FITS THE UPPER AIR PATTERN. STAKES ARE ALWAYS HIGH WHENEVER SHARP QPF AXIS CROSSES THE AREA.

:axe:  :axe:

:axe:

Outside looking in again up here unless the GFS/GEFS are correct. They bring in some good hang back snows as that last piece of energy dives southeast toward the system from out of the GL and give the ULL a little bump north. The Euro has this too, but moreso for upstate NY and interior SNE.

6z GEFS shifted a bit NE from 0z. The GFS has lead the way so we'll see.

We just called to say we love you

Archived