Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Central PA - March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and the rate in which its starts would also have an affect correct? Say if it starts heavier, it would accumlate quicker!

I would say timing more important than rate... starting overnight at coldest diurnal point of the day will accumulate no matter the rate.  A strong band to start would be nice to get a decent accumulation started and that will keep temps down during the day for sure.

Can a MET explain why the NAM has been doing this? Notice the circled area how the qpf drops off pretty significantly. Normally we see the opposite effect as the upsloping in eastern Westmoreland county usually yields higher qpf. It doesn't really affect my backyard, but I keep noticing it do this so there must be a good reason.

post-328-0-56640800-1362495207_thumb.jpg

Edit, it would also seem to be in contradiction to NWS Pittsburgh having those areas in a Winter Storm Warning.

Can a MET explain why the NAM has been doing this? Notice the circled area how the qpf drops off pretty significantly. Normally we see the opposite effect as the upsloping in eastern Westmoreland county usually yields higher qpf. It doesn't really affect my backyard, but I keep noticing it do this so there must be a good reason.

attachicon.gifNAM.JPG

NAM looks to be transferring the energy completely to the low heading for the coast there and the dying piece of energy hits allegheny county while there is a hole over westmoreland...

attachicon.gifNAM.JPG

Edit, it would also seem to be in contradiction to NWS Pittsburgh having those areas in a Winter Storm Warning.

NAM obviously despises Tarentum, New Ken, and Westmoreland County. ;)

EAS picked a helluva time to initiate their school warning test...

LOL...really? That's funny. 

30 to 45 mile jump north at 18z...book it. (takes weather weenie hat off.)

Nice. I wanted to avoid taking a shirt ride ;)

In other news, Henry M. made what might be the most disturbing Tweet ever by a weather guy: 

Accu_Henry Enough tweeting time for Big Daddy dreams.13 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

I wonder when NWS will put out Winter Storm Warning for York. Looks like 10 inches is a good call

You really need to stop posting. You just said a few hours ago York should be in a WWA, and now you do this. You cannot jump on every model of every run.

You might as well go back to your WWA after you see the GFS...

attachicon.gifNAM.JPG

With an easterly wind component it could be downsloping off the laurel highlands. 

So it's sounding like the GFS cut back precip pretty good north of the MD line :-(

I think we've all been looking at these NAM runs thinking we look great when in reality the GFS nor EURO support those big totals in the LSV.

GFS has barely changed since 18z yesterday... only differences are the light precip output north of southern PA... other than that it has kept MDT near .4"-.5" and york .5"-.6"

just as a caution... I know a bunch of us also read and sometimes post in the other region forums... when coming back to here to describe what they are talking about for model runs/etc just remember what region they are describing first... sometimes they may say things like "its warmer" or "less precip on this run" and might be talking about a specific location without actually saying that... so to others it looks like they are saying the model run is warmer as a whole or has less precip output as a whole...

edit: was typing this as you posted jns just to make sure you know it is not directed at what you posted lol

Maytownpawx....yeah WWA sounds right for York. Was basing my call off the NAM and GFS vs the EURO. Now definitely can't go against GFS and Euro combo. Sorry but don't see 6 inches of snow anywhere young man

Thanks for the compliment, I'm likely old enough to be your father, and...you do this all the time. Meterology is much more than model jumping, son.

I just thought his view of possible feedback issues was relevant for the the GFS run as a whole because he is a Met. Does he work at Mt. Holly?

Edit: Djr, just thought I should have backed up my reason for posting his view in our forum. You responded as I was typing, haha

Archived