• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

This foul front has a the technical name of CAD. Some cold dribbles and a steal of our warm temps pressed right down the lane for a slam dunk shot of cold air. A three point low could develop beyond the 850 line and it would be a game changer. Net result would be classic.

Oh my goodness I love these kind of posts. :lmao: :lmao:

Reminds me of the time someone (Coldrain I think) said dog**** had a negative tilt to it and a 1959 triple phaser which a picture of a mountain of **** posted. :lmao:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or, follow the rules and do what the mods kindly ask, and you have nothing to worry about. To me, sports conversations are only an issue when it turns the thread into 1+ full pages of nothing but sports. This is a weather forum on a weather website. If you want to talk sports that bad, there are several sports forums out there to use. Heck, there's a garden thread on here, but I'm still a member of 2 other garden and tomato forums because that's what their focus is. Here, it's weather.

Hmmm - I'm struggling to know where to begin.  Firstly, let me re-introduce you to the SE sub-forum and it's skittled variety of actual "weather threads".  Take a look at the index page and joyously stroll the different topics of weather wonderment.  One thing you'll likely notice is a "Banter" thread - a local hang out that stays full, regardless of whatever weather may be going on.  The fact is, there is no way to fill 365 days with weather discussion - unless of course you enjoy reading the same thoughts, opinions, analysis - or in certain poster's cases - the same canned line repeated over and over until the next season rolls in.

Secondly - the word "banter" was not trademarked and/or copyrighted by AmWx.  It means the same thing in any and every other internet forum you may happen to stumble upon.  "Banter" threads have many purposes, but one of it's primary reasons for existence is to regulate the forum as a whole.  It is placed within the community to satisfy the human need to converse about life, the universe and everything.  

This presents a dilemma to those who wish to self impose their interpretation of forum rules (which I did not feel the need to re-post, as even the red ones you pointed out earlier are subject to debate where "banter" is involved and frankly have not been violated with the possible exception of foul language).  We are not in storm mode.  But if we were, I would wager that having an actual "banter" thread would be a first line of defense in keeping the weather discussion threads clear (which should have been the reason it was "invented" in the first place).  

There is no such thing as "weather banter".  You cannot go "off topic" in banter - "banter" IS the topic.  

If you or anyone else is here for the sparkling weather discussion and nothing more, simply stay out of banter in the first place.  

The blatant reality is that you need banter to work the way it does.  Try enjoying those discussion pages without this.  I'm sure the Mods would just find it swell to have a much higher report ratio to deal with, as the discussions would be undoubtedly riddled with banter without an isolated thread to capture most of it.

However, if you feel so inclined to go through the rules - line by line with us here in banter, I would be more than happy to consider just how this banter thread has been violating them.  I've already conceded one, so we'll call it a head start...

It seems there are now more posts about how banter should not include sports than there were actual posts about sports. Although, I think it is absurd somebody reports the sports banter and can't simply scroll past it, in effort to move the banter thread forward...

The ACC Basketball season thread covers the teams we are conversing about here and is usually made of people from the Southeast subforum, thus you can still talk (and argue, which is mainly between the Tar Heels and dookies although a stray wuffie may make its way into the feuding) with people you are familiar with. The occasional yankee does make his or her way in sometimes, though. ;)

Hmmm - I'm struggling to know where to begin.  Firstly, let me re-introduce you to the SE sub-forum and it's skittled variety of actual "weather threads".  Take a look at the index page and joyously stroll the different topics of weather wonderment.  One thing you'll likely notice is a "Banter" thread - a local hang out that stays full, regardless of whatever weather may be going on.  The fact is, there is no way to fill 365 days with weather discussion - unless of course you enjoy reading the same thoughts, opinions, analysis - or in certain poster's cases - the same canned line repeated over and over until the next season rolls in.

Secondly - the word "banter" was not trademarked and/or copyrighted by AmWx.  It means the same thing in any and every other internet forum you may happen to stumble upon.  "Banter" threads have many purposes, but one of it's primary reasons for existence is to regulate the forum as a whole.  It is placed within the community to satisfy the human need to converse about life, the universe and everything.  

This presents a dilemma to those who wish to self impose their interpretation of forum rules (which I did not feel the need to re-post, as even the red ones you pointed out earlier are subject to debate where "banter" is involved and frankly have not been violated with the possible exception of foul language).  We are not in storm mode.  But if we were, I would wager that having an actual "banter" thread would be a first line of defense in keeping the weather discussion threads clear (which should have been the reason it was "invented" in the first place).  

There is no such thing as "weather banter".  You cannot go "off topic" in banter - "banter" IS the topic.  

If you or anyone else is here for the sparkling weather discussion and nothing more, simply stay out of banter in the first place.  

The blatant reality is that you need banter to work the way it does.  Try enjoying those discussion pages without this.  I'm sure the Mods would just find it swell to have a much higher report ratio to deal with, as the discussions would be undoubtedly riddled with banter without an isolated thread to capture most of it.

However, if you feel so inclined to go through the rules - line by line with us here in banter, I would be more than happy to consider just how this banter thread has been violating them.  I've already conceded one, so we'll call it a head start...

The dude had 22 posts in 2 years + and listed the numerous types of posts and he has reported.  Based on my experience I would venture his number of reports are greater than his number of posts by at least a factor of three. A perfect example of the type of non-contributing member whose reports should be ignored by moderators. 

Or, follow the rules and do what the mods kindly ask, and you have nothing to worry about. To me, sports conversations are only an issue when it turns the thread into 1+ full pages of nothing but sports. This is a weather forum on a weather website. If you want to talk sports that bad, there are several sports forums out there to use. Heck, there's a garden thread on here, but I'm still a member of 2 other garden and tomato forums because that's what their focus is. Here, it's weather.

Seriously, a love of weather may be (and, most likely, is) what has brought us all to this particular forum.  However, now that I'm here, I've gotten to know and really like many people on this board.  In a sense, I feel as if I've made some Internet friends.  (Please no psychoanalysis of that sentence, I beg.)  Now that I've found I enjoy hanging out with these people, I want to discuss other matters, as well.  It's just a natural evolution of relationship, and it's a good thing too.  As Bevo so eloquently put it, we need a banter thread where people can unwind to help self-regulate the more serious threads.  I invite you to hang out more too, post more often, and get to know some posters.

Hang out in our Internet cafe and have a :pepsi: or a  :beer:, whichever you prefer.   :) 

Hmmm - I'm struggling to know where to begin. Firstly, let me re-introduce you to the SE sub-forum and it's skittled variety of actual "weather threads". Take a look at the index page and joyously stroll the different topics of weather wonderment. One thing you'll likely notice is a "Banter" thread - a local hang out that stays full, regardless of whatever weather may be going on. The fact is, there is no way to fill 365 days with weather discussion - unless of course you enjoy reading the same thoughts, opinions, analysis - or in certain poster's cases - the same canned line repeated over and over until the next season rolls in.

Secondly - the word "banter" was not trademarked and/or copyrighted by AmWx. It means the same thing in any and every other internet forum you may happen to stumble upon. "Banter" threads have many purposes, but one of it's primary reasons for existence is to regulate the forum as a whole. It is placed within the community to satisfy the human need to converse about life, the universe and everything.

This presents a dilemma to those who wish to self impose their interpretation of forum rules (which I did not feel the need to re-post, as even the red ones you pointed out earlier are subject to debate where "banter" is involved and frankly have not been violated with the possible exception of foul language). We are not in storm mode. But if we were, I would wager that having an actual "banter" thread would be a first line of defense in keeping the weather discussion threads clear (which should have been the reason it was "invented" in the first place).

There is no such thing as "weather banter". You cannot go "off topic" in banter - "banter" IS the topic.

The blatant reality is that you need banter to work the way it does. Try enjoying those discussion pages without this. I'm sure the Mods would just find it swell to have a much higher report ratio to deal with, as the discussions would be undoubtedly riddled with banter without an isolated thread to capture most of it.

However, if you feel so inclined to go through the rules - line by line with us here in banter, I would be more than happy to consider just how this banter thread has been violating them. I've already conceded one, so we'll call it a head start...

Bevo ftw.

Seriously, a love of weather may be (and, most likely, is) what has brought us all to this particular forum.  However, now that I'm here, I've gotten to know and really like many people on this board.  In a sense, I feel as if I've made some Internet friends.  (Please no psychoanalysis of that sentence, I beg.)  Now that I've found I enjoy hanging out with these people, I want to discuss other matters, as well.  It's just a natural evolution of relationship, and it's a good thing too.  As Bevo so eloquently put it, we need a banter thread where people can unwind to help self-regulate the more serious threads.  I invite you to hang out more too, post more often, and get to know some posters.

Hang out in our Internet cafe and have a :pepsi:or a  :beer:, whichever you prefer.   :)

As long as it has a Belgian label, I won't even ask if you peed in it...

Lol change the topic. We obviously all have our different views of banter.

Therein lies the problem.  There is only one way to view banter - by definition.

You and I have had our differences.  Sometimes you make me laugh, sometimes you just straight piss me off.  But at the end of the day, I still don't have you on ignore which means there must be something I find useful in your posts.  That's a good thing.

Therein lies the problem. There is only one way to view banter - by definition.

You and I have had our differences. Sometimes you make me laugh, sometimes you just straight piss me off. But at the end of the day, I still don't have you on ignore which means there must be something I find useful in your posts. That's a good thing.

I rarely get pissed off on here. Lots of folks make me laugh on here and every now and then someone pisses me off. Then there are some folks I will never get mad at no matter what they say.

Bevo...the answer was 42, is now 42, and will forever be 42.  All else is just banter....well, and the fish thread.   Well....and you could have a towel thread, but then that might get confused with Towlie, and Towlie is already confused.  Well, and a Geranium thread...but you see where it goes.  I say just have a super 42 thread for all things including banter :) T

Bevo...the answer was 42, is now 42, and will forever be 42.  All else is just banter....well, and the fish thread.   Well....and you could have a towel thread, but then that might get confused with Towlie, and Towlie is already confused.  Well, and a Geranium thread...but you see where it goes.  I say just have a super 42 thread for all things including banter :) T

Superbly done T.  Just magnificent.

Superbly done T.  Just magnificent.

Why thank you my fine sir, lol.  I've got the old British radio version on some hard drive.  I've got to find that and listen again.  And I located some lectures he gave....on that same drive I think.  Good stuff, great reads, and listen.  I don't even mind the movie with Zooy DeChanel in it, but it's not the same as the old stuff....and I don't much care for Zaphod's second head in that version.  Tony

I rarely get pissed off on here. Lots of folks make me laugh on here and every now and then someone pisses me off. Then there are some folks I will never get mad at no matter what they say.

Like me!  I'm so laid back it's like I'm always laying down :)

I got you some great rolling thunder and a huge bunch of lightening.  A half an inch of rain, and only some zephyr's for wind.  Not bad for a squall line the tv was trying so hard to frighten the pants off everyone about.  It seems like the new radar, has made the stations take leave of their senses.  Now we are supposed to be scared to death about every line that moves though with rotation and thunder hail.  They don't do any favors.  They should wait until an outbreak, and let the quavery masses stay adrenaline free on nights like this.  My poor 92 year old mother was scared to sheet after watching the evening news for 10 minutes.  I had to talk her down explaining it was just thunderstorms like we have every year, and have since we were both born.  They are just creating a generation of overly frightened wussies.  Folks need to brave up and face the storm, not cower in fear because of the new toys.  The tornadoes can't kill us all, not matter how hard they try.....in fact lightening probably kills more, but they don't interrupt programs with breathless reports of lightening coming to Villa Rica, then Do Da Town and Weasel Station.

Not very laid back of me, I know, but I guess I have a bone to pick when the tv frightens my elderly mother over mere thunderstorms and hail.  T

Why thank you my fine sir, lol.  I've got the old British radio version on some hard drive.  I've got to find that and listen again.  And I located some lectures he gave....on that same drive I think.  Good stuff, great reads, and listen.  I don't even mind the movie with Zooy DeChanel in it, but it's not the same as the old stuff....and I don't much care for Zaphod's second head in that version.  Tony

Agreed T.  Although Martin Freeman was a great Arthur.  There are a lot of people who thought that film version ruined Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but it was at least an attempt.

The 12Z Goofy gives major snow (4"+) on 4/1-2 from far NE TN to GSP to SuperJames' place. This is no April Fool's joke even though it is the Goofy lol and has about as much chance of verifying as Brick being content with 6" of snow.

Archived