Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March Banter Thread

Isopycnic

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the non/weather talk here to distinguish this thread from the wx discussion thread. I say keep the nwt as it helps me get my bearings.

Exactly! Sports stay in sports section. Climate stay in climate forum etc.

Metallicwx, how do you not see that isohume is saying the opposite of what you just posted???  He said keep the non-weather talk in this thread.

Well, that is why it was created to begin with, to keep weather banter out of the pattern discussion and storm threads. Ask Lookout if you don't believe me. That's the history. Were you around last winter?

As others have said there is no such thing as weather banter.  The thread you are so fervently wishing for would have been called, "Non-technical weather discussion".  Start one and see how it goes.  Banter is, and always will be, playful, witty exchanges.

The rules are as follows...sports, politics, climate change and OT do not belong in the weather side. This is why we have designated areas for these discussions.

I'm pretty easy going and let a lot of stuff slide, but when I get reports from several different folks and have to scroll threw a few pages of sports discussion it's time to put an end to it. Just because non weather related banter is allowed, there is no reason to think that anything goes.  <_<   

The rules are as follows...sports, politics, climate change and OT do not belong in the weather side. This is why we have designated areas for these discussions.

I'm pretty easy going and let a lot of stuff slide, but when I get reports from several different folks and have to scroll threw a few pages of sports discussion it's time to put an end to it. Just because non weather related banter is allowed, there is no reason to think that anything goes.  <_<   

I'll be honest.  If non-weather related banter goes, I go with it.  I'm just not willing to talk for 365 days about what winds up being 2 days of snow and a couple of thunderstorms. LIfe is too short.

It's comfortable here.  A small group of folks connected by region enjoying themselves and building online and sometimes offline relationships. 

Buckeye, please help me with the logic here.  I honestly don't get it.  By the bolded statement, non-weather-related banter is allowed.  The occasional sports talk (NCAA March Madness happens to be big right now) is non-weather-related banter.  It's not like any of us dwell on sports talk forever and ever, but when something big crops up, we might mention it.  It's just a natural outlet for conversation, the same way Metallicawx needs to say lol or lolz after every single post.  Personally, reasonable discussion of any topic in this thread is much more valuable to me than reading lol all the time.

Also, help me out with the OT.  Define OT for me, please.

And, I agree, you are pretty easy-going.  I guess I just need to start reporting Metallicawx and others when they clutter up the thread with pointless jabber.  ;)

No, wait, that would cause WeatherNC to get a little angry with a filled-up inbox of reports, because we know there would be at least 20 per day of those types of posts...

So contributing absolutely nothing is "within the rules"?

As long as I post a lot of "lol's" and "you're crazy's" and "exactly's", I should be good to go.

Right.....It won't just be burns who bolts...

What the hell are you talking about? No one said anything about contributing or any other stuff. It was a discussion about what was allowed and not allowed in the banter thread.

Buckeye, please help me with the logic here. I honestly don't get it. By the bolded statement, non-weather-related banter is allowed. The occasional sports talk (NCAA March Madness happens to be big right now) is non-weather-related banter. It's not like any of us dwell on sports talk forever and ever, but when something big crops up, we might mention it. It's just a natural outlet for conversation, the same way Metallicawx needs to say lol or lolz after every single post. Personally, reasonable discussion of any topic in this thread is much more valuable to me than reading lol all the time.

Also, help me out with the OT. Define OT for me, please.

And, I agree, you are pretty easy-going. I guess I just need to start reporting Metallicawx and others when they clutter up the thread with pointless jabber. ;)

No, wait, that would cause WeatherNC to get a little angry with a filled-up inbox of reports, because we know there would be at least 20 per day of those types of posts...

Oh my god.

I'll be honest.  If non-weather related banter goes, I go with it.  I'm just not willing to talk for 365 days about what winds up being 2 days of snow and a couple of thunderstorms. LIfe is too short.

It's comfortable here.  A small group of folks connected by region enjoying themselves and building online and sometimes offline relationships. 

That's not what I'm saying....sigh.....I enjoy having a banter thread where everything can be discussed, but when the reports start rolling in, it's time to have the discussion(banter) move in a different direction for a bit. I'm not trying to be a hard azz in any way, just trying to keep the peace. 

Hey, Larry started a thread about the weekend possibilities we should all keep an eye on.

All of the banter about banter is making me thirsty for a highball. Whomever is the whiney butt running to tell Mom that they don't want to read about basketball stuff needs to take a chill pill. "March Banter Thread" that is the title, we have great chats about silly stuff in here all the time and if I'm not mistaken Basketball is almost over for the year and I have certainly learned to use my scroll feature to get through posts about it.

I'm here for the entertainment and even the LOL's and Sketti-o's make me chuckle.

So, group hug and I want to be in the middle and let's put an end to this and agree to irritate each other from time to time posting stupid sh**.

That's not what I'm saying....sigh.....I enjoy having a banter thread where everything can be discussed, but when the reports start rolling in, it's time to have the discussion(banter) move in a different direction for a bit. I'm not trying to be a hard azz in any way, just trying to keep the peace. 

Reports are requests not mandates.  I've moderated forums before.  It helps to look at them that way.  Especially if they are from the 5% that generate 95% of the reports on any forum.

Hey, Larry started a thread about the weekend possibilities we should all keep an eye on.

All of the banter about banter is making me thirsty for a highball. Whomever is the whiney butt running to tell Mom that they don't want to read about basketball stuff needs to take a chill pill. "March Banter Thread" that is the title, we have great chats about silly stuff in here all the time and if I'm not mistaken Basketball is almost over for the year and I have certainly learned to use my scroll feature to get through posts about it.

I'm here for the entertainment and even the LOL's and Sketti-o's make me chuckle.

So, group hug and I want to be in the middle and let's put an end to this and agree to irritate each other from time to time posting stupid sh**.

**** like that can't happen when you have smart asses everywhere. Enjoyed the beautiful sunny weather with 80 degrees after the morning rain. NWS JAX says that Mesoscale convective systen giving all the damaging winds and a tornado should just clip us and weaken as we lose the daytime heating. Most likely the reason severe thunderstorm watch is to the N of here.

Buckeye, please help me with the logic here.  I honestly don't get it.  By the bolded statement, non-weather-related banter is allowed.  The occasional sports talk (NCAA March Madness happens to be big right now) is non-weather-related banter.  It's not like any of us dwell on sports talk forever and ever, but when something big crops up, we might mention it.  It's just a natural outlet for conversation, the same way Metallicawx needs to say lol or lolz after every single post.  Personally, reasonable discussion of any topic in this thread is much more valuable to me than reading lol all the time.

Also, help me out with the OT.  Define OT for me, please.

And, I agree, you are pretty easy-going.  I guess I just need to start reporting Metallicawx and others when they clutter up the thread with pointless jabber.  ;)

The bolded is what happened when I signed on this morning....ugh....again....I'm not saying it won't be allowed, but when it becomes an issue it's time to move the discussion in a different direction. It's not about all or nothing, it's about keeping the peace and courtesy 

The bolded is what happened when I signed on this morning....ugh....again....I'm not saying it won't be allowed, but when it becomes an issue it's time to move the discussion in a different direction. It's not about all or nothing, it's about keeping the peace and courtesy 

Take a quick look at reports here for the past 6 months. I'll bet most have been generated by a very few.  There are always those that view a report system not as a way to report abuse, but as a way to attempt to exert control over others and in effect be a moderator by proxy.  As a mod you have to filter those folks out or you risk alienating a large portion of your members.

Reports are requests not mandates.  I've moderated forums before.  It helps to look at them that way.  Especially if they are from the 5% that generate 95% of the reports on any forum.

This is true   :P

Is it really so hard to move the discussion in a different direction for a page or so when asked?  The reports I got were from long standing members that usually do not report things. Heck....for all I know they just don't like sports ( I know that's crazy! How could anyone not like sports?)  I'm not asking for anything more than some moderation on the sports discussion in the banter thread. 

I second this  :hug: 

Could we get Larry's thread for the 3/22-3/26 time period pinned?

done

Who is reporting sports talk? I mean, there's what, like a whole entire page of sports talk? The agony of having to scroll down must just overwhelming.

I get where Buckeye is coming from. I'm sure it's frustrating to have a bunch of reports to deal with.

But Burns is correct in what he said. People should reread it.

Having a regional banter thread to discuss whatever makes sense, and people will be (are) more willing to participate and interact with each other (and get to know each other) in it than a global banter thread...or even having to visit multiple OT threads to communicate.

Take a quick look at reports here for the past 6 months. I'll bet most have been generated by a very few.  There are always those that view a report system not as a way to report abuse, but as a way to attempt to exert control over others and in effect be a moderator by proxy.  As a mod you have to filter those folks out or you risk alienating a large portion of your members.

Or, follow the rules and do what the mods kindly ask, and you have nothing to worry about.

To me, sports conversations are only an issue when it turns the thread into 1+ full pages of nothing but sports. This is a weather forum on a weather website. If you want to talk sports that bad, there are several sports forums out there to use. Heck, there's a garden thread on here, but I'm still a member of 2 other garden and tomato forums because that's what their focus is. Here, it's weather.

Archived